Baseball

Apparently Justin Turner was pulled in the middle of the game because he tested positive for Covid.

I have no idea how that's even possible in the middle of a game. But be prepared for a lot of guys on the Dodgers to test positive.

Fucking Reinsdorf. Hahn put together a super fun and super formidable team and then you make him hire this miserable old bastard. This is such a disheartening hire.

Is there bad blood from when he was manager from 1979-86 or you just don’t want a crotchety old boring “play it by the book” guy in charge?

Is there bad blood from when he was manager from 1979-86 or you just don’t want a crotchety old boring “play it by the book” guy in charge?
No bad blood per se. though I grew up around a ton of Cardinal fans and the team and am pretty up on who he was as a manger. Rick Hahn is a big time analytics guy and he put this team together for that style of play. Part of the reason they supposedly canned Ricky Renteria was that he didn’t always go by the book. Seemed like they would give AJ Hitch or (my personal favorite) Sandy Alamar Jr. the job but they didn’t even get an interviews. LaRussa was a good coach in a pre-analytic world but he has alway been an asshat; Steroids, DUIs, criticizing Colin Kapernick, and criticizing players for flipping bats and not “respecting the game”, it is all backwards looking. I don’t think Managers ultimately matter all that much from a wins-loss perspective but from a fun team to be a fan of, it matters.

No bad blood per se. though I grew up around a ton of Cardinal fans and the team and am pretty up on who he was as a manger. Rick Hahn is a big time analytics guy and he put this team together for that style of play. Part of the reason they supposedly canned Ricky Renteria was that he didn’t always go by the book. Seemed like they would give AJ Hitch or (my personal favorite) Sandy Alamar Jr. the job but they didn’t even get an interviews. LaRussa was a good coach in a pre-analytic world but he has alway been an asshat; Steroids, DUIs, criticizing Colin Kapernick, and criticizing players for flipping bats and not “respecting the game”, it is all backwards looking. I don’t think Managers ultimately matter all that much from a wins-loss perspective but from a fun team to be a fan of, it matters.
That makes sense. I knew he had kinda gone off the deep end in some respects but stopped following him after he retired. Even Bobby Cox knew when it was time to bow out, so I can’t see this going particularly well.

Here’s a quote of LaRussa critizing Tatis Jr. for having the audacity to hit a grand slam while up big...

Tony La Russa, the longtime manager and proud guardian of the game’s codes who is in his 57th year in baseball, put it another way.
“If you don’t think sportsmanship belongs in the game,” La Russa said, “you’re full of s---.”

I hate unwritten rules bullshit.

That makes sense. I knew he had kinda gone off the deep end in some respects but stopped following him after he retired. Even Bobby Cox knew when it was time to bow out, so I can’t see this going particularly well.
Right? He retired with the 3rd most wins in MLB history. What’s he got left to prove. Go play golf and have a Bud Light.

Fucking Reinsdorf. Hahn put together a super fun and super formidable team and then you make him hire this miserable old bastard. This is such a disheartening hire.

I’m not even a Sox fan and this pisses me off. This is absolutely Reinsdorf, and I bet they lose Hahn eventually because of it. How the hell you gonna hire a manager that’s the complete antithesis to how your GM has (successfully re-)built your team?

it’s absolutely ridiculous.

there were also accusations of him using cameras to steal signs way back in the A's days before the A*tros made it trendy

Here’s a quote of LaRussa critizing Tatis Jr. for having the audacity to hit a grand slam while up big...

Tony La Russa, the longtime manager and proud guardian of the game’s codes who is in his 57th year in baseball, put it another way.
“If you don’t think sportsmanship belongs in the game,” La Russa said, “you’re full of s---.”

I hate unwritten rules bullshit.

Didn't win the pennant or World Series. Owners want rings.

Meanwhile, we have the Cardinals not even wanting their top defense player 💀
and GM saying he regrets trading Arozarena...

Arozarena may be a fine player going forward- but he is a rookie that missed almost the entire season and effectively ambushed pitching staffs that had very little data on him.

He will be the most scouted and analyzed player in the world this offseason- we will see how he adjusts to the adjustments made against him. The Rays rely on the HR pretty much exclusively so he will have to show he is a world class hitter or he is going to get junk to swing at from now on

Back