Baseball

Padres are going all in...

YYYEEEEAAAAHHHHH! Picking up Darvish today, while he’s not the stud he once was, is a nice move too. He should make a solid number 4 or 5 starter in the rotation. I’m not thrilled with all they had to give up to get Snell, but I also understand the need to strike while the iron is hot, especially considering the fire has been out for years.

The Blue Jays signing George Springer is EXACTLY what they needed to do! Absolutely great signing for them, and six years/$150 million is a strong but pretty fair contract for a highly ranked center fielder.

That means, on any given night, they can trot out:

1B Rowdy Tellez
2B Cavan Biggio
SS Bo Bichette
3B Vladdy Guererro Jr. (If the talk is to be believed and he's working on moving back there)
RF Randall Grichuk/Teoscar Hernandez
CF George Springer
LF Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
C Danny Jansen/Alejandra Kirk
DH Hernandez/Grichuk/Kirk

That's a relatively scary batting lineup, especially after breakout years for Teo, Rowdy, and Gurriel. Also, Alejandro Kirk appears to be the rare catcher that is good enough at the plate to be a solid DH without being a liability behind the plate.

They also added Kirby Yates to the bullpen, on a pretty friendly one year deal. I still see them going after a starting pitcher too, and although they are rumoured to be in on talks with Trevor Bauer, I would think they may go looking for someone like James Paxton or potential look to bring back Taijuan Walker. They also have some great prospects still in the system in positions that they already have depth, like a Josh Groshans, who may be trade chips that would garner some interest.

The Blue Jays signing George Springer is EXACTLY what they needed to do! Absolutely great signing for them, and six years/$150 million is a strong but pretty fair contract for a highly ranked center fielder.

1B Rowdy Tellez
2B Cavan Biggio
SS Bo Bichette
3B Vladdy Guererro Jr. (If the talk is to be believed and he's working on moving back there)
CF George Springer
LF Lourdes Gurriel Jr.

That's a relatively scary batting lineup, especially after breakout years for Teo, Rowdy, and Gurriel. Also, Alejandro Kirk appears to be the rare catcher that is good enough at the plate to be a solid DH without being a liability behind the plate.

They also added Kirby Yates to the bullpen, on a pretty friendly one year deal. I still see them going after a starting pitcher too, and although they are rumoured to be in on talks with Trevor Bauer, I would think they may go looking for someone like James Paxton or potential look to bring back Taijuan Walker. They also have some great prospects still in the system in positions that they already have depth, like a Josh Groshans, who may be trade chips that would garner some interest.
Yeah, that lineup looks tough, now they need to find some arms.

1B Rowdy Tellez
2B Cavan Biggio
SS Bo Bichette
CF George Springer
LF Lourdes Gurriel Jr.

The best part about this signing is that it makes the path more certain for JT Realmuto to re sign with the Phillies.

good linep, but still needs sp and really needs a bp. dont know if yates is the answer. should be fun to watch though!

1B Rowdy Tellez
2B Cavan Biggio
SS Bo Bichette
CF George Springer
LF Lourdes Gurriel Jr.

Bummer.

As an AL guy I am all for the DH. I was hoping they would finally make the universal DH permanent. I still think it’s not a matter of if but when.

Bummer.

As an AL guy I am all for the DH. I was hoping they would finally make the universal DH permanent. I still think it’s not a matter of if but when.

As a NL guy, I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the DH in the NL last year. I'm actually disappointed by this. Definitely not in favor of expanded playoffs though

As a NL guy, I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the DH in the NL last year. I'm actually disappointed by this. Definitely not in favor of expanded playoffs though
I agree about the expanded post-season. Unfortunately, that seems inevitable too.

I also read a good article about MLB expansion...
I’m hoping Montreal and Portland get teams.

I agree about the expanded post-se...nsion-cities-data/?source=user_shared_article
I’m hoping Montreal and Portland get teams.
[/QUOTE]
Isn't Nashville working on getting a team? (Sorry if that's mentioned in the article, I don't subscribe)

Nt
Isn't Nashville working on getting a team? (Sorry if that's mentioned in the article, I don't subscribe)
Yeah, Nashville, Charlotte, New Orleans, Vancouver, Las Vegas, Monterrey Mexico, Orlando, Portland, and Montreal were the named as possible location. They say the would likely add two teams and for keeping thing split evenly probably one team in the East and one in the West.

Yeah, The Athletic had a great sale around Christmas where you could sign up for $1 a month for a full year. Yeah am really enjoying the content.

Yeah, Nashville, Charlotte, New Orleans, Vancouver, Las Vegas, Monterrey Mexico, Orlando, Portland, and Montreal were the named as possible location. They say the would likely add two teams and for keeping thing split evenly probably one team in the East and one in the West.

Yeah, The Athletic had a great sale around Christmas where you could sign up for $1 a month for a full year. Yeah am really enjoying the content.
I actually had a promo pop up on Facebook for $1 a month for 6 months so I decided to give it a go. First article that popped up was "Cactus League asks MLB to delay start of the season". We're not off to great start here.

Back