Baseball

Yea but the Yankees have an open window for the next 3-5 years and desperately need pitching and if they win a WS it's all worth it. Also if any franchise can afford to pay stupid money to an aging player it's the Yankees. Plus he has an opt out after 5 years.
Yes - with the team they'd put together and their window just opening, it would have been infuriating for them to NOT make the move that could push them over the hump because they were worried about payroll flexibility in 2027 or whatever.

Also, I'd point out that arguably the best current example (non-Jacoby Ellsbury division) of a long-term deal that's become dead weight in its last few years is Pujols - and that didn't stop the Angels from (reportedly) being a finalist for Cole, or signing Ohtani, or handing out a $400M+ extension to Trout. You're right that if any franchise can afford stupid money it's the Yankees, but the truth is that many if not all of the franchises can afford it.

I hope so.

He did have decent numbers on a bad team (Pirates) same can be said for DeGrom. Maybe with run support and defense he’ll continue to get better.
My point is that the Yanks signed CC at age 28 and he gave them 3-4 good years (all numbers here estimated, not looking it up right now). Ended up pitching for 11 years, most of which were at top dollar and not all of which were great, but nobody ever complained that his contract was somehow weighing the team down once he lost his dominance and entered the crafty vet/4-5 starter phase of his career.

The notion that long term contracts for starters are doomed to failure is a line of bullshit pushed by ownership and management to get you, the fan, on their side instead of the players'. The last starter the Yanks signed to a long-term deal was Tanaka. Before that CC. Before that Moose. Where are we getting this notion that these deals inevitably end in disaster?

Yes - with the team they'd put together and their window just opening, it would have been infuriating for them to NOT make the move that could push them over the hump because they were worried about payroll flexibility in 2027 or whatever.

Also, I'd point out that arguably the best current example (non-Jacoby Ellsbury division) of a long-term deal that's become dead weight in its last few years is Pujols - and that didn't stop the Angels from (reportedly) being a finalist for Cole, or signing Ohtani, or handing out a $400M+ extension to Trout. You're right that if any franchise can afford stupid money it's the Yankees, but the truth is that many if not all of the franchises can afford it.
100% agree. Without a salary cap I'm all for my team spending stupid money. Harper isnt worth the contract the Phillies gave him last year imo, but I'm happy they did it. Talent wins games, and buying talent on the open market is always going to be expensive, but what do I care, it's not my money.

It’s kinda sad how bad Pujols got when he went to the Angels. His numbers were world class, they still are, but he could have had the HR and RBI records in the bag had he carried on at that level he had in St Louis for a few more years.

Last edited:
If only... ugh... I'll always support Pujols tho, till I die!
He's so close.

His contract runs until 2022. So he's got 3~ years left.

He's 222 RBIs behind Aaron and 106 HRs behind Bonds.

That means he'd need at least 35~ home runs a year and 74 RBIs for each of his next 3 seasons. It's not impossible, more likely to get the RBI record, but he could do it.

My point is that the Yanks signed CC at age 28 and he gave them 3-4 good years (all numbers here estimated, not looking it up right now). Ended up pitching for 11 years, most of which were at top dollar and not all of which were great, but nobody ever complained that his contract was somehow weighing the team down once he lost his dominance and entered the crafty vet/4-5 starter phase of his career.

The notion that long term contracts for starters are doomed to failure is a line of bullshit pushed by ownership and management to get you, the fan, on their side instead of the players'. The last starter the Yanks signed to a long-term deal was Tanaka. Before that CC. Before that Moose. Where are we getting this notion that these deals inevitably end in disaster?
Recency bias with long term deals that fail: Pujols, Cabrera, Cano, Price, Ellsbury, etc. It's because it's a massive risk to tie someone down. It's almost always guaranteed money so in that situation the player might not perform as well because of their payday. It's not always a fail, but it happens often enough.

He's so close.

His contract runs until 2022. So he's got 3~ years left.

He's 222 RBIs behind Aaron and 106 HRs behind Bonds.

That means he'd need at least 35~ home runs a year and 74 RBIs for each of his next 3 seasons. It's not impossible, more likely to get the RBI record, but he could do it.
I don't think he'll hit enough HR, 35 is more than he's done since 2015.

If he chooses Anaheim as his HOF jersey i will LITERALLY shed enough tears to fill Busch Stadium.

If he chooses Anaheim as his HOF jersey i will LITERALLY shed enough tears to fill Busch Stadium.
I doubt that. But have players done both or choose more than one team? I thought that changed recently

Also, if after he's done at Anaheim... I'll be totally okay with Cardinals getting him for one year for him to retire as a Cardinal lololol

No way he does that.
I doubt that. But have players done both or choose more than one team? I thought that changed recently
I know Roy Halladay went in as both a Blue Jay and a Phillie although his hat has neither logo on it.

Astros cheated, and MLB announced punishment.
Most notable:
Jeff Luhnow - 1 year suspension
AJ Hinch - 1 year suspension
1st and 2nd draft pick lost for 2020 and 2021.
Lifetime ban to Taubman

Astros cheated, and MLB announced punishment.
Most notable:
Jeff Luhnow - 1 year suspension
AJ Hinch - 1 year suspension
1st and 2nd draft pick lost for 2020 and 2021.
Lifetime ban to Taubman

So Hinch won’t be manager this upcoming season? That’s wild!

I'm not going to lie. Knowing that 2 of the last 3 winners of the WS are cheaters definitely has me side eyeing the Nats. I don't think they cheated, but I am biased.

Back