August '22 - N&G VINYL SPINS CHALLENGE - Don’t tell @MikeH

23. The Sky Is Crying

Chris Isaak "Heart Shaped World"
(1989 Reprise; 2022 Sun / RSD Essentials reissue)

What happened to you little baby? What happened to you little girl?
She left you out there crying, in your heart shaped world.

I know what love means to you, I love you to.
It hurts too watch her laugh at you, with someone new.
Trouble, trouble......

Trouble..... going round, round, round, round, round.
Big cold sunless skies, tumbling down, down, down, down.

This reissue is just wonderful. This is why I prefer to listen to music on wax instead of digital files when possible... I'll venture out and say this is the best I've ever heard this album. Pressing done at Furnace, plated at RTI and extremely quiet - you wouldn't know this is colored vinyl. They did this fine record justice. Hope San Francisco Days turns out this great too.

View attachment 149462
My copy is pretty beat up and I did not need to know this reissue sounds great.

0241B617-7F6F-412A-839F-8C8450574B88.gif

My copy is pretty beat up and I did not need to know this reissue sounds great.

View attachment 149550

It just just came out for this round of RSD Essentials in august. I got it a few days ago. I was pleasantly surprised at how great it was. I never heard an original but this beats all digital / CD versions I heard before.

22. Sarabande

This one was tough. But while searching for ideas I saw that there was a melodic power metal band from Japan that used this as a name in the late 80s. So I thought I'd go with some melodic black metal from Japan. One of the best albums ever made, a genuine masterpiece that transcends genre. There's never a bad reason to spin this one and their new album drops on Friday!

Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
Screenshot_2022-08-24-19-44-27-28_4a808d795e22c35ddff3ce3b406eb72d.jpg

25. Honky Tonk Heroes

I'll go with an offshoot...

Waylon's HTH was produced by fellow outlaw country artist Tompall Glaser. Tompall, along with Willie, Waylon and Jessi Colter released this record...

Waylon Jennings/Willie Nelson/Jessi Colter/Tompall Glaser - Wanted! The Outlaws

20220825_000722.jpg

Also a good time to plug the Mike Judge series 'Tales From the Tour Bus'. Such fun. Highly recommended. Here's a snippet from the Waylon episode...

25. Honky Tonk Heroes

Townes Van Zandt - Live At The Old Quarter, Houston, Texas
88A64755-C548-4B99-803F-B4A82B07FE31.jpeg

A joke credited to Jerry Jeff Walker as told by TVZ:

A drunk stumbling down the street walks up to this cop and says, “Man, somebody stole my car.”

Cop says, “Well, where was it last?”

Man says, “Right here on the end of this key.”

Cop says,“I dunno man. Why don’t you head to the precinct house and report it there. They’ll get you filled out with all the right forms and papers.”

Guy says, “Okay,” starts to walk off.

Then the cop says, “Before you go downtown you’re gonna want to zip up your fly.”

Guy looks down and goes, “Oh man, they got my girl, too!”

I love Townes.

23. The Sky is Crying

The Sky is Crying is a great blues standard of lost love leaving you, and Death Letter was Son House's great blues song of loss from death. Is there music that touches the exposed nerves of our souls better than the blues? There are some incredibly talented blues players, but it's the songwriters and singers whose cracking voices bring the pain and speak to me. This one was a great prompt and I'm glad to play this recent pickup and I spun a couple extra blues albums this morning to set the mood on this rainy day.

Son House - Forever On My Mind
IMG20220825123803.jpg

24. American Girl
In my early teen years I apprenticed in a kitchen under a couple classically trained French chefs who would make us go whole weeks of only playing Petty and Etheridge on the little CD player we had back there. I was already a Petty fan, but I don't expect a lot of teenage boys were drawn to Etheridge. I'm glad for the exposure though because I came to love her music too. This one is a great set of lost songs refound and redone. It's a great folky rock album you can get for cheap.

Melissa Etheridge - One Way Out
IMG20220825141537.jpg

Last edited:
Back