August '22 - N&G VINYL SPINS CHALLENGE - Don’t tell @MikeH

I did it! Not only did I complete this wonderful August challenge but I also completed my personal challenge of spinning only Live albums for the entire month.
B06A9D2E-BFE5-4987-A9E2-BECBDE2943FF.jpeg
Thanks for putting this together @Lee Newman it was a lot of fun. Excited to see those final point totals.

After his couple month sabbatical @imtheocean has returned to lead the September challenge look forward to seeing you all there!

22. Sarabande

Wooden Shjips - Shjips In The Night: Live In San Francisco, June 8, 2018
View attachment 149430

I probably spent more researching “Sarabande rhythm” than I should have. I even had my SO, whose a classically trained clarinetist and has a BA in Music, to try to explain it to me. I now know that it is a baroque classical style and is common is Latin dance, also the style features 3 beats per bar… and none of this actually helped in choosing an album. I decided to play this albums because it was a live release that was only made available in physical format and never released digitally which should make it harder for people to tell me that I am wrong at that it doesn’t contain any Sarabande rhythm (it still might, I just have no idea).

I'M CATCHING UP ON POINTS AND DAMMIT THIS IS A LOT OF WORK.

31. Tangled Up in Blue

Jerry Garcia Band - Jerry Garcia Band
View attachment 150138

An outstanding cover of an amazing song.

This is how I first knew the song... I was late to Dylan. This came out my freshman year of College. Saw the Dead three times that year and Jerry Band once. Two years later, Dylan made a stop on the never ending tour in a high school at Spartanburg TN. I figured I should see the living legend even though I'd never really listened to him outside of the Travelling Wilbury's stuff. I picked up Freewheelin' to prepare for the concert. About the time Tangled Up in Blue got to the chorus (I had no idea it was Tangled until then because the band kind of sounded like Pearl Jam), I was completely in love with Dylan and have never really looked back.

I SHOULD HAVE RESERVED THE SECOND POST, dammit!!!

Points updated to post #554

POINTS*:
@Yer Ol' Uncle D - 31
@CrazyDiamond84 - 24
@Smartiepants - 31
@cul8er - 8
@Indymisanthrope - 2
@mcherry - 31
@ranbalam - 31
@gafacaode - 28
@Hemotep - 31
@Wicked Dreamer - 31
@TenderLovingKiller® - 31
@avecigrec - 31
@Fleetwood-Matt - 31
@DrainedPatience - 1
@Piratenovelist - 6
@Turbo - 31
@Wes C. Attle - 28

Brownie Points:
@ranbalam - 5
@Wicked Dreamer - 1 1/3
@cul8er - 1
@avecigrec - 2 3/4
@Turbo - 2
@CrazyDiamond84 - 3
@Yer Ol' Uncle D - 5 124/247
@Smartiepants - 2
@gafacaode - 1 1/2
@Wes C. Attle - 1
@TenderLovingKiller® - 1 3/4

BONUS BROWNIE POINTS:
@cul8er - 3

SUPER SECRET BONUS BROWNIE POINTS:

*Points are imaginary and useless despite whatever a certain uncle may have told you!**

** Ah, fuck it, I actually have a prize to be revealed later. ***

***As usual, it will probably be something by a local artist, because that's the way I roll.
Final points:
@Yer Ol' Uncle D - 42 1/247
@CrazyDiamond84 - 30
@Smartiepants - 33
@cul8er - 19
@Indymisanthrope - 2
@mcherry - 31
@ranbalam - 41
@gafacaode - 32
@Hemotep - 31
@Wicked Dreamer - 33 2/3
@TenderLovingKiller® - 34 1/2
@avecigrec - 36 1/2
@Fleetwood-Matt - 31
@DrainedPatience - 1
@Piratenovelist - 6
@Turbo - 35
@Wes C. Attle - 30

Now I have to figure out what to do with these damn fractions....

This is how I first knew the song... I was late to Dylan. This came out my freshman year of College. Saw the Dead three times that year and Jerry Band once. Two years later, Dylan made a stop on the never ending tour in a high school at Spartanburg TN. I figured I should see the living legend even though I'd never really listened to him outside of the Travelling Wilbury's stuff. I picked up Freewheelin' to prepare for the concert. About the time Tangled Up in Blue got to the chorus (I had no idea it was Tangled until then because the band kind of sounded like Pearl Jam), I was completely in love with Dylan and have never really looked back.
Not quite the same thing but similar; I didn't initially know that The Hootie & The Blowfish's monster 90s hit "I Only Wanna Be With You" took a few lines:

"I shot a man named Gray, took his wife to Italy
She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
I can't help it if I'm lucky"

from Bobby D's "Idiot Wind", until listening to Blood On The Tracks like a decade later. The funny part was the fact that Hootie was quoting Dylan is wasn't really a big secret, if only I had the context to fully comprehend Rucker's preceding...

"Put on a little Dylan sitting on a fence
I say that line is great, you ask me what it meant by"

and following lyrics...

"Ain't Bobby so cool?
I only wanna be with you"

Back