August '22 - N&G VINYL SPINS CHALLENGE - Don’t tell @MikeH

22. Sarabande

Wooden Shjips - Shjips In The Night: Live In San Francisco, June 8, 2018
D4CBC6A3-2075-4068-85B3-EF802BAD5C1B.jpeg

I probably spent more researching “Sarabande rhythm” than I should have. I even had my SO, whose a classically trained clarinetist and has a BA in Music, to try to explain it to me. I now know that it is a baroque classical style and is common is Latin dance, also the style features 3 beats per bar… and none of this actually helped in choosing an album. I decided to play this albums because it was a live release that was only made available in physical format and never released digitally which should make it harder for people to tell me that I am wrong at that it doesn’t contain any Sarabande rhythm (it still might, I just have no idea).

23. The Sky is Crying
Lonnie Johnson – The Blues Of Lonnie Johnson
20220823_090632.jpg

Between "Flood Water Blues" and "New Falling Rain Blues" the sky is definitely crying in the blues of Lonnie Johnson. This record was part of a small lot I won off an auction site during peak pandemic. I was completely unfamiliar with Lonnie Johnson before but this one quickly became, and remains, my favourite of the small humble blues selection on our shelves.

We are going to be away from home for the rest of the month as of this afternoon, so I'll be switching to digital to finish off the month but will continue to play only stuff I have available to spin at home.

Last edited:
22. Sarabande

Wooden Shjips - Shjips In The Night: Live In San Francisco, June 8, 2018
View attachment 149430

I probably spent more researching “Sarabande rhythm” than I should have. I even had my SO, whose a classically trained clarinetist and has a BA in Music, to try to explain it to me. I now know that it is a baroque classical style and is common is Latin dance, also the style features 3 beats per bar… and none of this actually helped in choosing an album. I decided to play this albums because it was a live release that was only made available in physical format and never released digitally which should make it harder for people to tell me that I am wrong at that it doesn’t contain any Sarabande rhythm (it still might, I just have no idea).

That stage looks fun!

23. The Sky is Crying
Lonnie Johnson – The Blues Of Lonnie Johnson
View attachment 149432

Between "Flood Water Blues" and "New Falling Rain Blues" the sky is definitely crying in the blues of Lonnie Johnson.

We are going to be away from home for the rest of the month as of this afternoon, so I'll be switching to digital to finish off the month but will continue to play only stuff I have available to spin at home.
Hope you have a good trip with the family!

That stage looks fun!
Yeah, Desert Daze is my dream festival. I don’t even know if I could tolerate an entire day at a music festival at this point but something about floating in a lake and tripping balls while some face-melting Psych and Drone play live sounds absolutely amazing to me.

Day 22: Sarabande
The Faint - Danse Macabre

In trying to translate what the meaning of sarabande is; I loosely picked out that it is a part of a classical piece that is meant to correlate with a type of dance. Possibly derived from a Spanish dance, so I see it being used all across Europe back in the day. This includes France which would call it a "danse."
20220823_125841.jpg

23. The Sky Is Crying

Chris Isaak "Heart Shaped World"
(1989 Reprise; 2022 Sun / RSD Essentials reissue)

What happened to you little baby? What happened to you little girl?
She left you out there crying, in your heart shaped world.

I know what love means to you, I love you to.
It hurts too watch her laugh at you, with someone new.
Trouble, trouble......

Trouble..... going round, round, round, round, round.
Big cold sunless skies, tumbling down, down, down, down.

This reissue is just wonderful. This is why I prefer to listen to music on wax instead of digital files when possible... I'll venture out and say this is the best I've ever heard this album. Pressing done at Furnace, plated at RTI and extremely quiet - you wouldn't know this is colored vinyl. They did this fine record justice. Hope San Francisco Days turns out this great too.

IMG_2940.JPG

24. American Girl

If you wanted to make the argument that Tom Petty, based on longevity and consistent quality of music, is our greatest American musician, I wouldn't not buy you a beer.

American Girl was the last song Tom Petty played live. This is the video of his last performance. The man was toughing it out, playing with a broken hip, because he loved the fans as much as he loved the music. You can see it in every step.

Thanks for everything, Tom. Still can't believe you're gone.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - The Live Anthology

20220823_235900.jpg

24. American Girl

If you wanted to make the argument that Tom Petty, based on longevity and consistent quality of music, is our greatest American musician, I wouldn't not buy you a beer.

American Girl was the last song Tom Petty played live. This is the video of his last performance. The man was toughing it out, playing with a broken hip, because he loved the fans as much as he loved the music. You can see it in every step.

Thanks for everything, Tom. Still can't believe you're gone.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - The Live Anthology

View attachment 149475

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

I was trying to do something. You coulda played any other TP record but this one!

Back to the drawing board.

EDIT: I think I figured out a way forward.

24. American Girl

Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band - The Legendary 1979 No Nukes Concerts
D4661963-0AAC-4B50-A810-AA79318AA8E4.jpeg

Since our Good Uncle is an East Coast night owl he beat me to the punch on Petty’s Live Anthology. Thankfully I have found a path forward. Tom Petty took part in Springsteen’s “No Nukes” concert. He would even sing co-lead with Springsteen, and Jackson Browne on “Stay”

Back