August '22 - N&G VINYL SPINS CHALLENGE - Don’t tell @MikeH

25. Honky Tonk Heroes

I'm going to argue that this Twang is at least Honky Tonk adjacent, even though it admittedly has a completely different sound with that bass forward sound. This album gets really good a few tracks in and if nothing else the cover of Staying Alive makes the whole project worthwhile. I'm only a partial fan of Primus, but love Les's playing and many of his side projects are so damn good.

Les Claypool's Duo De Twang
View attachment 149737

This is a top 5 Claypool for me!

26. Let's Go Crazy

Hot Chip "Freakout/Release"
(2022 Domino)
Prince is one of the main influences of Hot Chip's robo-funk, their first single in 2003 titled "Down with Prince". This is their most recent album, its title ("Freakout/Release") making me think of going crazy. This is quickly becoming my favorite of theirs in a decade.

IMG_2947.JPG

27. Just a Little Lovin'

Gonna veer away from Dusty and focus on the songwriters for this one - Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann.

Cynthia and Barry wrote a ton of hits. While more under the radar, they operated on the level of Goffin/King in output and quality.

This is my favorite of their songs...

A weird one...

A live one...

A bonus one because DJ was totally invested in this medley...

The Animals - Rock 'N Roll Best 20

20220827_002403.jpg

Last edited:
26. Let's Go Crazy

I'm interpreting this one more personally because the wife isn't into records. Even though she likes music she has very specific tastes and goes to her favorites repeatedly without branching off too much. So she doesn't care for a lot of my musical tastes and explorations. But she absolutely loves Prince. I had a couple Prince albums but they were old and sounded like crap so I traded them in and haven't upgraded them yet. Her next favorite is Faith No More. So I'd been waiting for the right time to play this for her and she's been singing non-stop this morning making me very happy 😊.

Faith No More - Who Cares A Lot?
IMG20220827091724.jpg

22. Sarabande

Elliott Smith - XO

A2AC875C-C989-4E52-9409-06ADE80AA0E0.jpeg

A sarabande is in triple meter, as is a waltz. This album is probably in my top ten albums of all time but I have avoided playing this Bong Load pressing because in the past it was one of the worst sounding records I’ve ever heard. But today, I’m not sure what happened, it sounds pretty fantastic. It just needed to age a bit maybe.

25. Honky Tonk Heroes

Garth Brooks - In Pieces

D95C68C6-A0A7-4574-AEBA-836D759DB993.jpeg

Featuring a song called “American Honky-Tonk Bar Association.” Sometimes I look at this enormous, inexpensive box set taking up space and wonder why I bought this. And then I play it for a challenge and my wife always says, “I love Garth Brooks” and I’m reminded

Back