August '22 - N&G VINYL SPINS CHALLENGE - Don’t tell @MikeH

TrainFan73

Frothy
Hello all.

You know the deal. Spin a record that fits the theme of the day. Take a picture. Post it. Try not to post a record someone already posted on that day. Bonus points for not posting a record anyone else posted period. Brownie points for being the first to post the theme of the day's actual record. Bonus Brownie Points if you can figure out the pattern.

I'm gonna be real vague with my themes this go round.

The daily themes are the titles of some of my most favorite songs/musical pieces. Play a record that evokes something about that theme to you. I hope to get lots of stories through this process, getting to understand why you played the record you did, almost like it's a vinyl Rorschach Test

1. Gabriel's Oboe
2. The Thrill is Gone
3. A Day in the Life
4. Three Little Birds
5. Friday I'm In Love
6. Gotta Get Up
7. Kind of Blue
8. La Primavera
9. Born Under a Bad Sign
10. Dancing Days
11. Oye Como Va
12. Misunderstood
13. Fire and Rain
14. Blue Train
15. Assanhado
16. Boom Boom
17. Layla
18. Get It Together
19. Let's Get It On
20. A Case of You
21. 'Round Midnight
22. Sarabande
23. The Sky is Crying
24. American Girl
25. Honky Tonk Heroes
26. Let's Go Crazy
27. Just a Little Lovin'
28. The Sidewinder
29. Ode to Joy
30. She Don't Live Around Here
31. Tangled Up in Blue

POINTS!!!

Last edited:
1. Gabriel's Oboe

Ennio - my man!

Going with this one for two reasons - the album opens with an Ennio Morricone cover and this band has a western image that fits right into many Morricone scores.

The EM cover...

Spaghetti western + demagoguery / revolt x Mad Max + Leatherface = Preacher Man. Really, it does. I showed my work...

Bonus title track just because it's such a badass song and EM would dig it. Spaghetti Western Doom...

Fields Of the Nephilim - Dawnrazor

20220801_002237.jpg

Last edited:
Day 1: Gabriel's Oboe
Peter Gabriel - Us

I'll go a little beyond just the name Gabriel, and the fact it's been in my backlog waiting to be played. Ennio Morricone is a legend in film soundtracks/scores, notably for one of my favorites, 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.' This particular song is from the 1986 movie 'The Mission,' which I have not seen, but the main theme of the movie seems to revolve around jesus/Christianity. Another movie from the 80s that has that same theme is 'The Last Temptation of Christ,' which also has an incredible score. That score is done by a one Peter B. Gabriel...
20220731_235753.jpg

1. Gabriel's Oboe
ok I'm back in the game this month and I will try and keep up, I couldn't connect with last months challenge with it being based on netball :ROFLMAO:

I have had shit loads going on I rarely got the chance to play any records so we will see how I go

my tenuous link as follows
1/ its a track from the film The Mission
2/ The Mission is a Gothic rock band from the UK
3/they also recorded a few records under a side project called The Metal Gurus
4/Metal Guru is the first track on this album
20220105_214349.jpg

1. Gabriel’s Oboe

Oh boy, haven’t done one of these in a while. We’ll see how far I get.

So my take on today’s theme is a theme. A memorable theme from a film score or soundtrack. Normally I’d break out Superman because that probably has my favorite theme ever, but today I’m going with:

Starman - Music Composed by Jack Nitzsche
1259DD9F-A24F-4BB7-BFEC-0A0CE9E5A5F1.jpeg

And the theme that’s most memorable to me, that’s stuck inside my head since I first heard it as a kid, is the End Title. The way the movie ends is probably one of the first times I saw a movie where the
the lovers part, likely to never see each other again. A more common ending as I grew and read and saw more movies but back then wow

A surprisingly romantic movie for a John Carpenter film. But there’s still action and aliens too 😉

1. Gabriel’s Oboe

Oh boy, haven’t done one of these in a while. We’ll see how far I get.

So my take on today’s theme is a theme. A memorable theme from a film score or soundtrack. Normally I’d break out Superman because that probably has my favorite theme ever, but today I’m going with:

Starman - Music Composed by Jack Nitzsche
View attachment 147563

And the theme that’s most memorable to me, that’s stuck inside my head since I first heard it as a kid, is the End Title. The way the movie ends is probably one of the first times I saw a movie where the
the lovers part, likely to never see each other again. A more common ending as I grew and read and saw more movies but back then wow

A surprisingly romantic movie for a John Carpenter film. But there’s still action and aliens too 😉

Notable for being one of Carpenter's only movies without a score by Carpenter!

Day 1
Gabriel’s Oboe

I’ve never seen The Mission, probably should. I first heard the theme as Sarah Brightman’s Nella Fantasia off her Eden album. Brightman was a conduit for me to enjoy classical. Eventually, I discovered Yo-yo Ma. Specifically, his Inspired by Bach album which is a conservative cousin of this album. My obsession with Ma opened up Classical in a way that not even Brightman did. I could follow folks he worked with (Emmanuel Ax, Anne-Sophie Mutter) into further realms of classical like I did Jazz. It also brought me back to this Morricone piece. It opens up his Plays Ennio Morricone which taught me that there was much more to the Italian composer than just the familiar theme from The Good The Bad and the Ugly.

Unfortunately, Eden is not on vinyl, and I have not picked up a copy of the Ma/Morricone collaboration.

Which is how I got here - mostly because I wanted to play it today as I haven’t yet (hey @mcherry and @avecigrec looky what I got) - but also because like the two versions of Oboe that made me fall in love with it, this is a very different take on a very familiar piece of the classical lexicon. It’s also stunning. I’ve heard people call it a cash grab as the score is very similar to the previous Recomposed version but the period instruments and vintage electronics actually make this version superior to me. It has more life. (Also not for nothing but Elena Urioste is not Daniel Hope or Mutter -who is the player on my favorite version of Vivaldi’s score- and as a result the solo doesn’t really overtake the piece like every other version ever)
A5916901-1CD3-4025-8242-B426797CB641.jpeg
Max Ricther, Elena Urioste, Chineke! Orchestra - The New Four Seasons, Vivaldi Recomposed

1. Gabriel's Oboe
I'm streaming one that I've never listened to the whole album before. I picked this because I usually think of a few fictionalized Gabriels whenever I see the name. At the top of the list of course is Christopher Walken as Gabriel in The Prophecy, one of my favorites that I rewatch every couple years. Skid Row's song Breakin' Down is in it. So I'm listening to the album it was on sUBHUMAN rACE. I've never really cared all that much for Skid Row, but I'll try to make it through the whole album.
Screenshot_2022-08-01-18-24-59-19_b842316e563230167e12cc31f5ffaf19.jpg

Day 2: The Thrill Is Gone
BB King - Live At Cook County Jail

My favorite version of this song is off of this album. One regret I have is passing up the chance to see King live back in the 00s. I was supposed to meet up with a friend that was at his Summerfest show back then, but didn't end up making it for whatever reason.
20220802_001007.jpg

Day 2: The Thrill Is Gone
I was lucky enough to see the great man at the Royal Albert Hall London, cannot remember the year but about 20 years ago
BB king called his guitar Lucille
Otis sang about Lucille
its as simple as that today (borrowed discogs photos as my phone was playing up last night while attempting to take pics)
R-5609111-1398682116-4596.jpg
R-5609111-1398682125-4144.jpg

Last edited:
Back