August '22 - N&G VINYL SPINS CHALLENGE - Don’t tell @MikeH

17. Layla

The under the radar MVP of Derek & The Dominos was Bobby Whitlock. Jim Gordon and/or Rita Coolidge may have written the framework to the piano coda, but Bobby brought it to eternal life.

His solo records are really good...

Also, there are tons of interviews with Bobby on YouTube telling stories about various stuff that are very entertaining...

Bobby Whitlock - Raw Velvet

20220818_000027.jpg

18. Get It Together

Jimmy Smith - Root Down: Jimmy Smith Live!
C487ADED-95E8-485B-A298-3A4F0E44BF2C.jpeg

The Beastie Boys are one of my all time favorite groups. Though they are like 20 years older than me I feel like I grew up with their music. License To lll was there when I was a goofy juvenile, Check Your Head when I started to take music more seriously, Hello Nasty when I started looking for something a bit more substantial (but still a ton of fun). They are the gift that keeps on giving. Their massive tome The Beastie Boys Book was not only a super interesting read but it also gave me the push that I needed to start exploring the world of Jazz. See the beasties not only discussed many of their influences but they also discussed the incorporation of many of their rare groove samples and breaks that they used to creat many of their iconic tracks. The list is quite long and detailed. It was through the book that I learned tha on the Ill Communication standout collaboration with Q-Tip, “Get It Together” that the hook was taken from a fairly obscure Eugene McDaniels’ track “Headless Heroes” another iconic sample on Ill Communication came from Smith Smith’s live album. In fact the sample is so straight that the Beasties went ahead and just named the track after the song/album the sample came from, “Root Down”.

Hey so this 2009 Check Your Head pressing is pretty good. Just checked the deadwax and it's a Ray Janos cut at Sterling and pressed at RTI. Not sure it's still easily available though. Anyway, I didn't remember it being this excellent.
Yeah, most of the Beastie Boys reissues I have sound fantastic. If I recall the only one I had a slight issue with was Hello Nasty, which had a bit of sibilance on some of the inner tracks.

Day 18 - Get It Together

5C4F5306-C235-4DC8-9850-A080EB1CEA11.jpeg

No Doubt - Rock Steady

The Beastie Boys’ song was the third result on google behind Drake (ew) and an rnb group named 702. The 702’s version appears of their album “No Doubt” so I gotta play some No Doubt!

Last edited:
Back