August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

Day 9 - Sad

The Caretaker - An Empty Bliss Beyond This World

This is a sad album for me personally. It attempts to convey the impact of Alzheimer’s—the album samples old ballroom jazz 78s, which repeat at certain points over the LP like memories. The songs get shorter each time, and quieter, more distorted, more surface noise, sound drops from a channel, etc. as things start to break down and the memories fade. Towards the end of the LP you wonder whether you heard the tune earlier.

I first heard this when my grandpa was suffering from severe dementia and I was reading a lot about the disease, so it has a personal tie in for me.

3E20344C-EBE9-4AB3-A8BF-E13C1D779441.jpeg

August 9 - The day Jerry Garcia passed - Play a sad album.

I love a really good sad album, it's figuratively and literally my jam so this was a very difficult choice.

Decided to break out a fresh grab and spin Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights. Appointments is the highlight for me, a brutally honest reflection on relationships and mental health.

IMG_20200809_111928.jpg

Day 9: The Day Jerry Garcia passed - play a sad album.

I'm with @Yer Ol' Uncle D on this one. Jerry's passing hit me hard for awhile, but time has healed that and I've got some great memories.

If he ever released it on Vinyl, I would have gone with Mickey Hart's Mystery Box as the album for today, featuring Down the Road with these lyrics from Robert Hunter:

From the corner of my eye I saw the sun explode
I didn't look directly 'cause it would have burned my soul
When the smoke and the thunder cleared enough to look around
I heard a sweet guitar lick, an old familiar sound
I heard a laugh I recognized come rolling from the earth
I saw it rise into the skies like lightning giving birth
It sounded like Garcia but I couldn't see the face
Just the beard and the glasses and a smile on empty space

But instead I'll go with this excellent live set:

Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band ~ Almost Acoustic (RSD Black Friday 2018 Edition)

IMG_7771.jpg

Day 09: The day Jerry Garcia passed - Play a s̶̶a̶̶d̶ Jerry Garcia album.
Jerry Garcia - Garcia
ED31BBBC-A883-4A98-A15F-F43099B301F4.jpeg

Nothing about Jerry Garcia makes me sad so I chose a Jerry Garcia album that makes me happy (which is the result of most of his music). I dig this copy with the promo sticker haphazardly placed upside down across the bottom of the cover likely in an attempt to censor some boobage.

Traveling Wilburys ‎– Volume One (Wilbury Records, 1988 First Pressing)

I find myself playing the same album in a lot of these monthly challenges, but I cant not play this one today. Roy Orbison passed away a couple of months after this album was released and in one of the videos it just shows his hat on a rocking chair when it comes to his part. Gets me everytime.

IMG_5644.JPG

Jerry Garcia - Garcia
View attachment 60817

Nothing about Jerry Garcia makes me sad so I chose a Jerry Garcia album that makes me happy (which is the result of most of his music). I dig this copy with the promo sticker haphazardly placed upside down across the bottom of the cover likely in an attempt to censor some boobage.

AAAAARRRRGGGHHH, you beat me to this album!

Time to pull out the backup... After I spin this anyway.

Jerry Garcia - Garcia
View attachment 60817

Confession: I have zero Grateful Dead knowledge.
Question: What would be a good entry point?

August 9 - The day Jerry Garcia passed - Play a sad album.

I'm Glad It's You - Every Sun, Every Moon

Back in 2017, I'm Glad It's You were a promising new melodic emo band hitting the road when they were in a crash that left the band members injured and their good friend and videographer dead. This album, which came out earlier this year, is all about that moment and its aftermath, about loss and guilt and hope, and learning to live again when someone is gone and you're left to put your life back together. It's incredibly sad, but also cathartic, starting with a "long last look from the back of the ambulance" and ending with the entreaty to "let your love carry you through."

20200809_140519.jpg

Somewhere in between, so I could branch out later

For my money, I would start with Reckoning and Dead Set.

Both albums were recorded in fall of 1980. During this period, their first set was acoustic based and the rest of the evening was electric. Reckoning collects acoustic set performances, Dead Set electric.

Or, if you didn't want to start with an album, this exact same era has a feature-length film called Dead Ahead which documents several shows, and some of the performances in the movie are on the aforementioned albums. It was my personal introduction to their music, and I still revisit it every year or so.

Day 7:
An album that fits in perfectly at a summer party:
Post Malone - Hollywood’s Bleeding
It’s Post Malone. Not too hard to see why his music fits in perfectly at a summer party.
F5AA100E-AAD1-450D-83D5-5D739E598915.jpeg

Day 8:
An album you’d find in a dollar store bin:
Kay Kyser - Kay Kyser’s Greatest Hits
I again want to thank Fallout, Bethesda, and Obsidian for introducing me to some great oldies music. Got this for $5 too, with I Got Spurs (Jingle Jangle Jingle) from New Vegas and Praise The Lord and Pass the Ammunition from Fallout 76 on it.
34541D0A-2836-4DB4-8EB0-449B98C36D44.jpeg

Day 9:
A sad album:
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Hearing Nick’s depression seeping into his music and him giving us some insight into his psyche through his lyrics before committing suicide is both fascinating and heartbreaking to hear.
12BD00CD-DBBC-4BF9-9BE7-B4891C8699CE.jpeg
Getting ahead-
Day 10:
A lazy album:
Queen - A Night At The Opera
🎼 Lazing on a Sunday afternoon 🎼 (Literally!)
63EF287E-7ACB-44A5-BC3C-7D291C334C6B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back