August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

1. Look at the stack in front and see Rhiannon Giddens (see @Matt M ), but it's sealed. Can't be bothered to open the shrink wrap
2. Look at the wall, but it's blocked by other things-to-be-moved
3. Look at the shelf, see a record sitting out, single sleeve, ready to be played
4. Play the record.

Always a good choice from one of Minnesota's finest.

Dessa - Chime

IMG_20200810_134819.jpg

DAY 10
LAZY
Green Day - International Superhits!
Just using a picture from earlier today. In keeping with the laziness theme, this is a good record to put on if you're feeling lazy. Why? Because each side is about 30 minutes long. So you won't need to worry about having to get up and flip the thing for a while, making it the perfect lazy day record. (Also "Longview" is kinda about being lazy.)
20200810_153636.jpg

Day 10 LAZY

Underworld - Tonight Alive (Signed by Corey Taylor.... yes THAT Corey Taylor)

To say this album means a lot to me is like saying air is good to breathe. I was so nervous on how this was going to sound when compared to other records since my new pre-amp is in. This is a desert island record most definitely!

IMG_9710.jpg!

August 10 - National Lazy Day - Play whatever you want, or don't. Just don't expend any effort on it.

I was too lazy yesterday to post. We're in the middle of a real dog days heat wave in Germany, so I just pick out a record of my Kallax without looking what it is.

It's Steven A. Clark "Where neon goes to die" on shiny yellow vinyl. Nice album.

IMG_20200811_102307.jpg

Day 10 LAZY

Underworld - Tonight Alive (Signed by Corey Taylor.... yes THAT Corey Taylor)

To say this album means a lot to me is like saying air is good to breathe. I was so nervous on how this was going to sound when compared to other records since my new pre-amp is in. This is a desert island record most definitely!

View attachment 60986!
Ooohhh... new gear? What’d you get?

Day 11 - gift

Neneh Cherry - Blank Project

First of all, happy birthday @wmeugene! Secondly, I've barely received a record as a gift as I think my family knows I'm a bit particular. But this is one I got, in rather odd circumstances. Six years ago or so, I got a parcel from Amazon containing two copies of the 33 1/3 on J Dilla's Donuts - the only issue was I never ordered them! After a bit of detective work I figured out who it was meant to be for and sent him an email. Quite by chance he turned out to be the founder of the Smalltown Supersound label in Oslo. Without telling me, he brought me a tote bag full of CDs and a few records from his label when I went to deliver the books. This was his most recent release and I really dig it. Produced by Kieran Hebden (who stars on the other, more jazzy vinyl I got from him as well as Steve Reid and Mats Gustafsson). Vinyl karma.

20200811_115629.jpg

Last edited:
Day 11 - gift

Neneh Cherry - Blank Project

First of all, happy birthday @wmeugene! Secondly, I've barely received a record as a gift as I think my family knows I'm a bit particular. But this is one I got, in rather odd circumstances. Six years ago or so, I got a parcel from Amazon containing two copies of the 33 1/3 on J Dilla's Donuts. After a bit of detective work I figured out who it was meant to be for and sent him an email. Quite by chance he turned out to be the founder of the Smalltown Supersound label in Oslo. Without telling me, he brought me a tote bag full of CDs and a few records from his label when I went to deliver the books. This was his most recent release and I really dig it. Produced by Kieran Hebden (who stars on the other, more jazzy vinyl I got from him as well as Steve Reid and Mats Gustafsson). Vinyl karma.

View attachment 61025
Oh man, I love this story. Independent record shop owners really are a different breed, its almost allways about passion for music over making money. Love it!

Back