August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

So I just got back from a much needed, week-long vacation. That and work being super busy the two weeks before, I feel like I've been a terrible host. Hope everyone has enjoyed my prompts...

Without further adieu, here's my Day 17:

Songs: Ohia - Love & Work: The Lioness Sessions
20200829_210136.jpg

Day 20: The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

I discovered Wouldn't It Be Nice and Sloop John B thanks to the radio, specifically "oldies" and classic rock stations my parents would listen to when I was a kid. Took several years for me to realize the masterwork this album was and the songs never sounded as good as they do on this AP 2xLP, 45 rpm pressing

20200829_233750.jpg

Day 29: Hangover

To be honest...I haven't had a hangover in a very long time. I may have 2 to 4 drinks on a given night, but my "going to the bar and having 10 pints of beer" days are over.

I would think this would be good to listen to.

Aimee Mann / Jon Brion ‎– Magnolia - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Mondo ‎– MOND-028, 2018

3 LP set with songs from Aimee Mann and complete score by Jon Brion

Cut by David Cheppa at Plush Vinyl
Pressed at Rhino

63xFZB.jpg

3GvmqG.jpg

Day 30: Back to school

The Mars Volta - Amputechture

This is possibly the least "Sunday morning" record I own but it was the first I thought of for the theme. I remember at the beginning of senior year of high school, picking up my friend Josh in my mid-'90s Ford Contour to drive to the town over to pick up this album and Mastodon's Blood Mountain, both released on the same day. The brakes started shitting out halfway there but we made it in one piece. The next semester, we used one of the guitar solos in "Tetragrammaton" for our Wayne's World/Hamlet mash-up movie during the final deciding guitar battle between Wayne and Bobby Cahn (Christopher Walken). Thankfully our English teacher loved Wayne's World as much as I do.

IMG_20200830_095949.jpg

Back