Audio Hardware Deals: Speakers, Headphones, Turntables, Etc.

I was looking at the McIntosh MA5300 and noticed that the phono stage is for MM. While the MT5 table is a MC. Buuuuut in reading the description of the table it says that it is compatible with MM inputs. Would it still be recommend to use a separate phono preamp that supports MC? I feel like at that price point, it should support both.

I was looking at the McIntosh MA5300 and noticed that the phono stage is for MM. While the MT5 table is a MC. Buuuuut in reading the description of the table it says that it is compatible with MM inputs. Would it still be recommend to use a separate phono preamp that supports MC? I feel like at that price point, it should support both.

The cartridge is a high output MC. It’s compatible with MM phono stages. You don’t want to run a high output MC into an MC stage as you’ll likely overload the inputs.

Depending on what one buys, better performance can be had with an outboard phono stage than what’s built into the MA5300.

The cartridge is a high output MC. It’s compatible with MM phono stages. You don’t want to run a high output MC into an MC stage as you’ll likely overload the inputs.

Depending on what one buys, better performance can be had with an outboard phono stage than what’s built into the MA5300.

I was feeling pretty good after that first paragraph, then I read the second. 😁

I’m not going to lie, the MT5 is my “dream” table to go after and I’m basing that off the aesthetics and the reputation of the brand.
And also based on a few people’s reviews, but is it really worth it to chase? Like I said, at the price point of the 5300, I feel like I shouldn’t need a separate phono stage or better one.
Do you feel that I could get a set up comparable to or even better than what I want for far less money?

Like I said, at the price point of the 5300, I feel like I shouldn’t need a separate phono stage or better one.
Do you feel that I could get a set up comparable to or even better than what I want for far less money?
At the exact price point of the Mcintosh 5300 is the lovely Luxman L-550AxII integrated amp, as follows:
As @HiFi Guy said, it is full Class A. IMO, it’s a match made in heaven with the Klipsch Heritage line. The 20 watts is VERY misleading. Digs way deeper than any other amp I’ve owned. It’s got the bass slam of a 200w SS amp and the lushness of tubes. It runs warmer than my old Yamaha SS, but much cooler than my PrimaLuna. I love the thing. If I win the lottery, or once the kids are out of college, I might go to it’s big brother, the L590AXII. Otherwise, I'm good.
Listened to the 20/20 for a few days over the weekend. I decided that the difference compared to my Luxman onboard just wasnt worth the price. I’m thinking that this onboard is extremely good. Maybe a jump to the Duo would be worth it, but for now I’m standing pat on the phono stage. Back to looking at the Forte III’s and then calling it a day on equipment for at least a few years. Kids getting ready for college and I want to retire at some point!

If I were wanting to keep my current receiver for HDMI and bluetooth capabilities, would the one above or this one (below) be a better fit? Or is that even possible? Essentially looking to be able to play bluetooth/TV/gaming through 1 receiver and the turntable through the Jolida -- but both through the same speakers.

@Melt Face Molly Drop You’d want the one I posted with an amplifier switch box.

You’d need to connect a phono stage to the Jolida.

Or if you have preamp our jacks on your amp, you could use that with the switch and a power amp.
I’d hook the Sutherland into the Jolida then. This A/B switch box looks a little tight in the back, what wires and to where would they go on both amps exactly?

Sweet. Thanks for confirming.

It seems like the Russound may not accept bananas, but the one I linked will. I have no input regarding any difference in build quality, but I’ve been happy with mine. Other folks have reported weak wiring that had to be re-soldered.

It seems like the Russound may not accept bananas, but the one I linked will. I have no input regarding any difference in build quality, but I’ve been happy with mine. Other folks have reported weak wiring that had to be re-soldered.
Yeah, you'd almost need a really well built one since the speakers are kinda the lifeblood of the system. Or maybe there's not as much that needs to go through that as I think.

Yeah, you'd almost need a really well built one since the speakers are kinda the lifeblood of the system. Or maybe there's not as much that needs to go through that as I think.

I’ve never noticed any loss in sound quality. Though now maybe I will open it up and require with Blue Jeans cable. :)

Thankfully, that switch has got to be pretty simple inside. I few minutes with a soldering gun and maybe some spare speaker wire should fix it if it glitches out.

Back