Audio Hardware Deals: Speakers, Headphones, Turntables, Etc.

And to go with "Black Ice" instead? It sounds like a Gatorade flavor

I know Mike Allen (President of JoLida) quite well, although I've not spoken with him in quite a few years. I visited his home nearly 20 years ago, and was surprised to see he was running an older version of the same amp that's on sale at MD, but with EL34's. He wasn't running their TOTL amp as I expected.

Part of the beauty of that amp is that it can be run with either EL34s or 6550/KT88s. EL34s have midrange magic. 6550s give up some in the midrange but add a solid bottom end. The KT88 sounds better than the 6550, but aren't as durable- the 6550 is an industrial tube, unlike the KT88. Mike told me that he agrees the KT88 sounds better. He said if a KT88 will fail, it fails early on. If it makes 30 days, it's good to go.

The other thing about his designs- if a tube goes "nuclear" it'll blow the fuse, which is easily replaced on the rear panel. Replace the output tubes and the fuse and you are good to go- no collateral damage. I've experienced this myself.

As far as the name JoLida- if I recall correctly, it was a combination of his mother and mother in law's names.

I don't really like the Black Ice name either- it sounds to me like ice brewed beer in a black can. But I do understand that JoLida doesn't exactly roll off of the tongue.

That said, $1299 is a steal for that amp. I think it was $999 MSRP 20 years ago. Highly recommended.

I'm scared to even attempt to listen to a tube amp. I'm afraid I will fall in love and throw money at it. Im really happy with my current setup but the Prima Luna stuff has my intrest. The only other thing close to making me splurge is a demo of Dirty Weekends.

If I was to spend money right now (outside new cart I know I need soon) it probably be Sutherland Insight from my current Pho8.

I'm scared to even attempt to listen to a tube amp. I'm afraid I will fall in love and throw money at it. Im really happy with my current setup but the Prima Luna stuff has my intrest. The only other thing close to making me splurge is a demo of Dirty Weekends.

If I was to spend money right now (outside new cart I know I need soon) it probably be Sutherland Insight from my current Pho8.
I would recommend hearing the Prima Luna, but I'll tell you right now, once you do hear it your gonna be screwed, so go down that path at your own risk, lol. I would however, recommend making the jump from your Pho-8 to the Insight as your next purchase, you'll notice a huge difference right out of the box, it's probably the most important piece in the chain, in my opinion, and you'll be pretty much set with the Pre at that point.

Believe me, coming from someone who went Pho8 > iPhono2 > Sutherland KC Vibe > Insight, you will not be disappointed.....if your going from the Pho8 to the Insight, you may want to have a pair of clean pants on stand by ;)

.........if you go demo the Prima Luna, have that pair of clean pants available again ;)

Last edited:
Curious if there are any suggestions getting the Fusion 3502 or 6802 as my first jump into tubes @HiFi Guy @AnthonyI @displayname

currently run wharfedale diamond 10.7 speakers off my marantz pm8005 and lounge lcr mkIII gold.

JoLida Fusion 3502 Integrated Tube Amp
Reg $1750 sale $1299

I ran one of these for years. Great amp.

Anyone looking for a tube amp, another solid deal on Jolida. It's about a third of the way down the page.
View attachment 29596

Curious if there are any suggestions getting the Fusion 3502 or 6802 as my first jump into tubes @HiFi Guy @AnthonyI @displayname

currently run wharfedale diamond 10.7 speakers off my marantz pm8005 and lounge lcr mkIII gold.
Honestly, I'd kick that question over to Wharfedale or a Wharfedale dealer. Or other 10.7 owners. I think they'd give you the most unbias answer. I haven't heard those speakers and I've only heard one of the two Jolida amps... and it wasn't for any extended period of time.

I will say this, if you talk to Underwood, MD or Wharfedale, I would specifically ask about how the 10.7's three way crossover reacts to tubes. Spec ratings aren't everything. I haven't really dug into this, but I have heard that some three way cross overs can be hard on tubes. Some are just fine. It gets into a lot of impedance curves vs current and science that gets a little over my head.

I will say this, Jolida is pretty trusted. So if the 10.7s work well with tubes in general, they *should* work well with the Jolida stuff.

I just looked at the 10.7 as measured by Stereophile. You’ll have no issues driving them with either JoLida amp. On the rear panel, you’ve got speaker connections for ground as well as 4 and 8 ohm positive. You’ll use the 4 ohm connection. Never run a tube amp without speakers connected- you can damage the output transformers.

I had an older version of the 3502. Really nice amp. If the budget allows, I’d go with the 6802. It has better resistors and capacitors along with a beefier power supply. Make sure you get 6550 output tubes.

I’ve mentioned in other posts what can happen when output tubes go bad. Some amps will need a tech- JoLida won’t. The JoLida designs are good- you’ll blow the line fuse, easily changed from the rear panel. Then replace the tube (if one goes, the others are likely borderline so change all 4) and you are good to go. The fuse will blow before there is collateral damage inside the amp.

One thing about Walter at Underwood: he’s a great dealer but all sales are final. No returns. Music Direct has a 60 day money back guarantee.

You should be happy with either amp for years to come. You can also change/upgrade the tubes for even better sound should you desire. If you want to do that, I’ve got reasonably priced suggestions.

Edit: See link for owner’s impressions;

Appreciate the notes and details on this @HiFi Guy and @displayname.

I’m leaning towards the 6802 since that seems to get a bit more bang for the buck. Only real concern would be the better MD return policy in going the 3502 route.

I highly doubt you wouldn’t be happy either way, but the 6802 is a better deal at $900 off vs the 3502 at $576 off.

Welp, I officially took the dive and ordered the 6802 from Wally. Excited to get into this world of tubes and see what it's all about!

Congrats! Make sure to let us know what you think- jump over to the Totally Tubular thread.

Also, if you have to install the tubes (I don’t remember anymore) a couple of things:

The output tubes have a “key” at the bottom that corresponds to a matching notch in the tube socket. Never force anything.

Make sure to use a soft cloth or paper towel to wipe the tubes clean. You don’t want any oils from your skin on the glass.

Congrats! Make sure to let us know what you think- jump over to the Totally Tubular thread.

Also, if you have to install the tubes (I don’t remember anymore) a couple of things:

The output tubes have a “key” at the bottom that corresponds to a matching notch in the tube socket. Never force anything.

Make sure to use a soft cloth or paper towel to wipe the tubes clean. You don’t want any oils from your skin on the glass.

A pair of white cotton gloves helps with this.

A used Sutherland Insight phono preamp in excellent condition is available for $929 shipped on eBay.
That's just a little more than the price of a new KC Vibe. The dealer appears reputable as well.

Back