Audio Hardware Deals: Speakers, Headphones, Turntables, Etc.

Anybody have experience with these? Debating picking one up but feel like maybe it's an upgrade best left for after I upgrade some other things on my sound setup...
I don't know, I would kind of look at it this way, you can use it no matter what you currently have, and it'll fit in on down the line.......take advantage of the savings ;)

..............this is just not right, lol

Speaker 1
View attachment 31882

Speaker 2
View attachment 31883
This now qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment.......... 😖

That being said, and without being able to listen to anything, Zu has their finish on freakin' lock down, it's absolutely gorgeous in person. Hopefully his twin pops up somewhere tomorrow morning.

With Zu sending out their occasional sale emails, I kept checking them out for something worth while (while saving for Soul's), found something interesting, then @HiFi Guy found something more interesting. Always wanting to hear things for myself, I thought the price, the upgrades and 100% trade in value was worth giving them a go.

Zu Omen DW with upgraded Druid Mk.IV Drivers and caps.
20200207_180440.jpg

Last edited:
This now qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment.......... 😖

That being said, and without being able to hear anything, Zu has their finish on freakin' lock down, it's absolutely gorgeous in person. Hopefully his twin pops up somewhere tomorrow morning.

With Zu sending out their occasional sale emails, I kept checking them out for something worth while (while saving for Soul's), found something interesting, then @HiFi Guy found something more interesting. Always wanting to hear things for myself, I thought the price, the upgrades and 100% trade in value was worth giving them a go.

Zu Omen DW with upgraded Druid Mk.IV Drivers and caps.
View attachment 31927
Wait, wha? Druid drivers?? Thats an option?!?

Wait, wha? Druid drivers?? Thats an option?!?
Not sure how they ended up on these, but they were on these "Deal" speakers ;)

Not sure how they ended up on these, but they were on these "Deal" speakers ;)
Some of those deals are really good, or in your case super interesting. If you are open to used, Gig Harbor Audio in WA, has a pair of used Soul Supremes for 3k shipped.

Some of those deals are really good, or in your case super interesting. If you are open to used, Gig Harbor Audio in WA, has a pair of used Soul Supremes for 3k shipped.
Well, these were kind of the pit stop to the Souls. I've heard the Souls (not supreme) and really like them. This "interesting" configuration was appealing and we'll see how we like them before moving up the ladder, if that's at all needed. I got a year to put my purchase price towards an upgrade so we'll see how things go and sound. :)

Plus, Zu really does stand by their products so buying direct was a plus.

Well, these were kind of the pit stop to the Souls. I've heard the Souls (not supreme) and really like them. This "interesting" configuration was appealing and we'll see how we like them before moving up the ladder, if that's at all needed. I got a year to put my purchase price towards an upgrade so we'll see how things go and sound. :)

Plus, Zu really does stand by their products so buying direct was a plus.

Initially they may be a shocking difference from what you are used to. I know there were for me. As you know, mine almost went back until I got height/gap and positioning correct.

I also noticed a change on their website today. They were running the DWs for 300 hours before shipment. Everything else was getting 600 hours. Even so, my Souls sounded better as the hours piled up. Now they are advertising that DWs get 100 hours of “high power” break in. I suspect they are trying to move lower margin items out the door more quickly.

Initially they may be a shocking difference from what you are used to. I know there were for me. As you know, mine almost went back until I got height/gap and positioning correct.

I also noticed a change on their website today. They were running the DWs for 300 hours before shipment. Everything else was getting 600 hours. Even so, my Souls sounded better as the hours piled up. Now they are advertising that DWs get 100 hours of “high power” break in. I suspect they are trying to move lower margin items out the door more quickly.

Positioning was a drawn put process for me. Not that they ever sounded off, but just dialing things in. My opinion is they sound best pointing directly at me. I'm guessing the wider they can be placed the better, to widen out the soundstage. Ive played with gap height a bit as well. The further from any walls the higher the gap height, and conversely, closer to walls, the shorter the height. That seemed to account for any boominess from the room acoustics, but ymmv obvs. I feel like my DW's got a little better with time/burn in. It got a bit more mellowed out and cohesive. Theyve been very transparent with gear upgrades as well. I know that ill be working uo the Zu line with time as cashflow allows

@HiFi Guy & @Splunders , that helps, at least gives me a starting point. I've been working on my Polk's positioning and they seem to be best when they're pointed a bit past you rather than at you. So we'll start with the Omen's pointing at my spot and adjust the height.........rinse and repeat until we're happy. @HiFi Guy what did your height end up at for the Soul's? I'm about the same distance from the wall and about the same distance apart as yours, again, a starting point, and I already picked up a couple floor tiles :)

Having the other speaker would make this process easier ;)

@HiFi Guy & @Splunders , that helps, at least gives me a starting point. I've been working on my Polk's positioning and they seem to be best when they're pointed a bit past you rather than at you. So we'll start with the Omen's pointing at my spot and adjust the height.........rinse and repeat until we're happy. @HiFi Guy what did your height end up at for the Soul's? I'm about the same distance from the wall and about the same distance apart as yours, again, a starting point, and I already picked up a couple floor tiles :)

I never measured it. Probably the thickness of a CD jewel case- you could slide one underneath. Basically mine are as high as they can go on the ball end feet. Another 1/4 turn and they aren’t attached.

I hope that second speaker arrives intact and soon, but I also wonder what will happen if it doesn't. If it's damaged or lost (not sure how something this large could be lost...), I can see an upside. Does Zu even have any more of those Druid Mk.IV drivers? If not, they might send you a new matched set with something even better!

I never measured it. Probably the thickness of a CD jewel case- you could slide one underneath. Basically mine are as high as they can go on the ball end feet. Another 1/4 turn and they aren’t attached.
Mine are about the same height, almost at the end of the threads, which I measure to be 11/16". I think 12/16" is max height. I should still tinker with the gap a little though, but my experience has been higher = more pleasing to my ears.
BTW @AnthonyI, I have carpet as well and started out using the spiked feed anchored deep in the carpet, but now have them with the ball feet sitting on 12"x12" cutting boards. It made a hugely positive difference. More bass, tighter bass, happier bass.

Was just about to run out and get Panamax MR4000. My question though looking at the back of it. The receptacles look really close together. I dont think I can put my ZU power cables back to back on that thing. Anybody have experience with that? Just looking at it I think I would only be able plug in 4 things.

Was just about to run out and get Panamax MR4000. My question though looking at the back of it. The receptacles look really close together. I dont think I can put my ZU power cables back to back on that thing. Anybody have experience with that? Just looking at it I think I would only be able plug in 4 things.

You could plug a power strip into one of the outlets if you need extra room/clearance.

Back