April 2021 Challenge Thread

Day 3 - Saturday Night Live

How fortuitous. A chance to play my most recent pickup in a challenge.

So the better half and I went to a record store last night to let the end of the week wash over us. This one was staring us right in the face as we walked in. Funny enough, it was on my Discogs wishlist as it has performances by Norah Jones, Weird Al, and Conan O'Brien on it which is enough for me to get any compilation

This 3xlp is completely stacked though and despite it being a trifold (blah) is absolutely high quality otherwise. Worth a look for so many people

Various - George Fest - A Night to Celebrate the Music of George Harrison
PXL_20210403_235735227.MP.jpg

PXL_20210404_000740944~2.jpg

DAY 4: WHEN THEY WAS FAB

This week in 1964, the Beatles became the first act to occupy the top 5 spots on Billboard’s Hot 100 singles chart simultaneously, something no other band or artist has been able to accomplish yet!

18CDFDB9-1F06-455A-9010-8E4820CB1AE3.jpeg

To commemorate that historic moment, PLAY A BEATLES RECORD (or something Beatles-related if for some reason you don’t have a Beatles record)

The Beatles - “The Ballad of John and Yoko” b/w “Old Brown Shoe”

1126A151-D067-4BE2-9D70-E409378B6779.jpeg

Two songs not in the mono box set and the oldest 45 in my collection! …I think

DAY 4: WHEN THEY WAS FAB

I really didn't know which one I was going to pick - so I closed my eyes and my finger landed on this one.

The Beatles ‎– Let It Be
Apple Records/Parlophone ‎– PCS 7096, 1970

UK Pressing for Export

Pressed at The Gramophone Co. Ltd. (now EMI)

Y14pE4.jpg

A3KVh9.jpg

Day 4 Beatles

The 1960s were a decade when rock n’ roll was sweeping the scene and the British Invasion came knocking on US doors. Teens all over the world defined themselves by one thing, whether they were loyal to The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, and the rivalry didn’t stop with the fans. Though the two legendary groups were never to admit that they were in open competition with each other, it was hard to disregard the clear attempts to outperform one another on the charts week by week.
So not having any Beatles albums on vinyl (I got most of the studio album releases on CD though) I've decided to go for some Rolling Stones today

The Rolling Stones "On Air. BBC Recordings"

IMG_20210404_102201.jpg

Day 4: When They Was Fab
play a Beatles record

The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

This is the only Beatles album I own on vinyl because I’m waiting for an opportunity to pick up the mono box set. But I was curious about this recent stereo mix done by Giles Martin. I was pleasantly surprised. The bass is a lot louder than I would have expected giving it a very full and deep sound. Paul’s bass on this is fantastic so I don’t mind at all.

B8C18E5C-B9B0-41C6-8294-EFBC60E8EE0D.jpeg

I had that pressing too a while ago. It sounded so bad I just got rid of it. Unlistenable for me.

I hadn't played this in a while. I didn't remember my pressing was filled with swishing and non-fill on top of not being great. It pushes this up the list for a new copy, because as far as I'm concerned I don't have an Abbey Road now. It went straight to the goodwill pile after playing it - I can't even pif this in good conscience.

EDIT: How's the 50th?

I hadn't played this in a while. I didn't remember my pressing was filled with swishing and non-fill on top of not being great. It pushes this up the list for a new copy, because as far as I'm concerned I don't have an Abbey Road now. It went straight to the goodwill pile after playing it - I can't even pif this in good conscience.

EDIT: How's the 50th?
Same issues on my end. I listened to it twice I think and then sold it to my local for a few bucks at most.

I actually haven’t heard the 50th or even looked into it. I was skeptical of it since I’m not sure how you could improve from the original mix. Abbey Road is probably my favorite sounding Beatles album, I can’t think of anything I’d want changed!

Back