April 2021 Challenge Thread

DAY 2: OH HAPPY DAY

Good Friday, the beginning of Easter weekend.

PLAY A RELIGIOUS RECORD, OR A RECORD INSPIRED BY RELIGION OR RELIGIOUS TEXT

Ooph. For me, hate to say it, religion in my music is like mustard in chocolate, two things that really almost never mix explicitly. I have nothing against religion on the whole and went to religious schools for over a decade (some by choice), but they're just two very different universes with different purposes to me. Well, apart from that one church service in New Orleans. I am sure that if I go through my collection there would be a decent number of albums with those inspirations, it's just generally not what I listen to.

With that said, after going through the cubes, I did stumble upon Sara Watkins' debut as a solo artist, which I think is the one intersection that I really do have. Very strong and obvious themes linked throughout the more traditional songs she chose for this album: around loss, struggle, hard lives, death, and yes religion's place in these lives as well. Worth a spin today.

Sara Watkins - Sara Watkins

image.jpg

Day 3: Saturday Night Live
play a live album

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

I’ve been listening to this non-stop the past few weeks.

View attachment 94212
Nice! If it weren’t for VMP’s now ridiculous subscription rates and my dad getting the Legacy Edition box set a few years ago, I would’ve jumped on that too.

DAY 3: SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE - PLAY A LIVE ALBUM

Jack White "Live At The Masonic Temple, Detroit, 7/30/14" (2021 TMR, Vault #47)

This is as good a reason as any to get this on the turntable. Don't know if I'll get a chance to go through the entirety of this massive set today, but I'll give it a shot.

IMG_1410.JPG

Day 03: Saturday Night Live
Play a Live Album
The National - Juicy Sonic Magic
View attachment 94237
I just purchased a cassette deck for my set up and thankfully I have a wonderful Live National set that I was dying to listen to on my big ass speakers so the choice seemed obvious.

I was at the second of those shows with my kids!

Day 3: Saturday Night Live

With the themes title, this was the first band I thought of...given their performance on Saturday Night Live

Fear ‎– Live... For The Record
Restless Records ‎– LS 9252 1, 1991

Recorded at KPFK, Pacifica Radio, Los Angeles, CA 1986.

European release

Pressed at Sony/CBS, Haarlem (now Record Industry)

r2YwuZ.jpg

qwtfSE.jpg

Last edited:
Back