April 2021 Challenge Thread

Day 3: Saturday Night Live
play a live album

Pavement - Live Europaturnén MCMXCVII

Playing this in honor of the Pavement 2022 tour rumors going around. This one was recorded in Cologne, Germany between the releases of Brighten the Corners and Terror Twilight

IMG_20210404_193829.jpg

Day 4: When They Was Fab
play a Beatles record

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

The Beatles are my mom's favorite so I have a pretty large collection since I took over my parents' record collection, but most of them are fairly beat(les) up. I haven't managed to replace anything yet besides the Esher Demos White Album, which is both my and my mom's favorite. This copy of Rubber Soul still sounds pristine, though.

IMG_20210404_193028.jpg

IMG_20210404_213608.jpg

Day 4: When They Was Fab
play a Beatles record

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

The Beatles are my mom's favorite so I have a pretty large collection since I took over my parents' record collection, but most of them are fairly beat(les) up. This rcopy of Rubber Soul still sounds pristine, though.

View attachment 94399
Nice compass set too.

DAY 5: 404_ALBUM_NOT_FOUND

PLAY AN ALBUM HARD TO FIND ONLINE, OR NOT FOUND ON DIGITAL STORES OR STREAMING SERVICES

Linda Clifford - Let Me Be Your Woman

8CD0EC49-076A-4832-8224-389C1413EC45.jpeg

Linda Clifford released 6 albums from 1977 to 1980 on RSO/Curtom records, half of which are not available on iTunes or Spotify (in Canada, at least).

Oh I really like this theme.

So, I could play a certain country artist, but I have the feeling others may be spinning one of our last major streaming hold outs, and I do have one I know is a Spotify gap otherwise so let's get her going

If you scroll through Spotify for the Queen of Soul, you might think she took much of the 1970s off. After Let Me Into Your Life, her next handful of albums really didn't do the sales people were accustomed to seeing for her. Her last five albums on Atlantic are missing from the predominant steaming service (Spotify). To add on, they've also (as far as I can tell) never been on CD or any format officially other than vinyl or 8-Track.

It's still Aretha and still sounds really dang good to me.

Aretha Franklin - Sweet Passion

PXL_20210405_133001208.MP.jpg

Last edited:

PLAY AN ALBUM HARD TO FIND ONLINE, OR NOT FOUND ON DIGITAL STORES OR STREAMING SERVICES

I named my wifi "Error 404 not found" haha.

I don't do much online listening anymore, so here's a digital error referencing record. There were only 233 pressed, too.

Corrupted Data Corp™ ‎– クリスタル BEPIS

(The Japanese katakana is read as Crystal)

PXL_20210405_152636015.jpg

Various Artists "Pulp Fusion Vol. 3: Revenge of The Ghetto Grooves, 1970s Funky Jazz & Tough Original Breaks" (1998 Harmless)

None of the volumes of this superb series from the late 90s and early 2000s are on streaming. These introduced me to a lot of amazing 70s music, a lot of which ended up in the VMP classics years later. I tried correcting their lack on streaming by collecting the individual songs into a playlist, but several are still missing. This volume is one of my favorites of the series and 3 of the tracks are still absent from Spotify. Superb music from Tina & Ike Turner, The Blackbyds, Dennis Coffey, Lafayette Afro-Rock Band and Sonny Stitt, among others.

IMG_1412.JPG

And for good measure, allow me to pimp my Pulp Fusion playlist, which happens to be my most popular on Spotify with 1250 followers.

Since I don't use streaming for anything other than the occasional "let's give this new album a listen to see if it's worth a purchase," does than mean I can just play whatever I want and claim ignorance as to whether or not it's readily available on streaming services?
That's kind of what I did. 😁

Since I don't use streaming for anything other than the occasional "let's give this new album a listen to see if it's worth a purchase," does than mean I can just play whatever I want and claim ignorance as to whether or not it's readily available on streaming services?
Man, I am right there with ya. All my digital listening is done via high quality MP3 files that I download via P2P sites. I’ve been wracking my brain on this one; De La Soul, Tool, KLF were all famously absent from Streaming but over the last couple years all are now streaming. I am gonna keep digging and see if I can find something.

Day 5: 404_ALBUM_NOT_FOUND
play a record that’s hard to find online (as in YT, Spotify, iTunes, etc)

Thom Yorke - Anima

I thought of something! The final track, "(Ladies and Gentlemen, Thank You for Coming)," is vinyl exclusive, and is not on streaming services or CD.

20200409_124401-jpg.40374

Various Artists "Pulp Fusion Vol. 3: Revenge of The Ghetto Grooves, 1970s Funky Jazz & Tough Original Breaks" (1998 Harmless)

None of the volumes of this superb series from the late 90s and early 2000s are on streaming. These introduced me to a lot of amazing 70s music, a lot of which ended up in the VMP classics years later. I tried correcting their lack on streaming by collecting the individual songs into a playlist, but several are still missing. This volume is one of my favorites of the series and 3 of the tracks are still absent from Spotify. Superb music from Tina & Ike Turner, The Blackbyds, Dennis Coffey, Lafayette Afro-Rock Band and Sonny Stitt, among others.

View attachment 94435

And for good measure, allow me to pimp my Pulp Fusion playlist, which happens to be my most popular on Spotify with 1250 followers.

Damn, you keep giving me purchase ideas....

Back