April 2021 Challenge Thread

Day 1: Funnier Than 25
play a funny record

Dylan can be funny

View attachment 94005

"Well, my telephone rang it would not stop
It's President Kennedy callin' me up
He said, My friend, Bob, what do we need to make the country grow?
I said my friend, John, Brigitte Bardot
Anita Ekberg
Sophia Loren
Country'll grow"
This is definitely my funniest record too, that song especially.

Day 1 - Funnier than 25

20210401_183729.jpg

Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape

Gwen's solo music is at it's best when it feels like a fever dream, and this album opens with her yodeling over a Pharrell Williams beat. It's just so weird and wild that it cracks me up

Day 01: Funnier Than 25
Play something funny!
Rufus Wainwright - Rufus Wainwright
View attachment 93977

Rufus comes from a funny and talented family both his sister, Martha and Pop, Loudon are blessed with the gift of wit that often translates to laugh out loud turns of phrase in their songwriting, Rufus is perhaps the funniest of them all. Plus it gives me a reason to listen to one of the only genuinely great things this wretched holiday ever produced...

I've seen him play a few times in Montreal. The first was at a tiny café just him and a piano before he got his first record deal. So much presence. You know how in a café, the musicians can kind of meld into the background sometimes? With him, you just couldn't help but stop what you were doing and pay attention.

Day 1 - Funnier than 25

Teen Titans Go! To The Movies Soundtrack

F3926D7C-2988-4CC2-9F4F-64CECAC0B432.jpeg

I had never heard of this series before I took the kids to the movie a few years ago and it was funnier than I thought it would be. It’s all just meta comedy. “Upbeat Inspirational Song About Life” features Michael Bolton.

“Is this a record that we own?!” my wife just asked me.

Back on that challenge thread grind after a few months dealing with moving

play a funny record

Handsome Boy Modeling School - So... How's Your Girl

I don't too many "funny" records. I like some indie bands that play a little too much into irony, and I love me a good rap punchline. But I think Chris Elliott is very funny so I'll go with this.

IMG_20210401_203053 (1).jpg

DAY 2: OH HAPPY DAY

Good Friday, the beginning of Easter weekend.

PLAY A RELIGIOUS RECORD, OR A RECORD INSPIRED BY RELIGION OR RELIGIOUS TEXT

Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Gospel Train

81BF8DF7-43C6-40B9-A657-5A930D7AA48F.jpeg

This theme would’ve probably been more suitable for Easter Sunday rather than Good Friday (given today’s about Jesus’ crucifixion rather than his resurrection), but I’ve got something else planned for that day…

Taking a break from Outriders to spin these 2 days I fell behind...

I don't have many "comedy" albums anymore - I went through my Adam Sandler/Jerky Boys/Andrew Dice Clay phase back when I was in middle school. Those CD's are long gone, but I do have this and 2 other Monty Python albums...and a Richard Pryor that I'd probably have to do too much photo work to edit out its title.

Monty Python ‎– Monty Python's Flying Circus
PYE Records ‎– PYE 12116, 1970

Cut by Robert Ludwig at Sterling
Pressed at Columbia, Pitman

rsav0A.jpg

fvmPcd.jpg

Day 2: Oh Happy Day - play a religious record, or a record inspired by religion or religious text

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

I knew Lauryn was religious and that this album had religious undertones, but I didn't realize just how prevalent they were until I listened to the Dissect podcast season on this album. Also, Lauryn sang 'Oh, Happy Day' in Sister Act 2:

Day 2: Oh Happy Day - play a religious record, or a record inspired by religion or religious text

Pedro The Lion - The Only Reason I Feel Secure

E5EBF475-B6ED-4F05-A239-6B6C887F89D5.jpeg

In high school, lots of kids from church listened to Jars of Clay or (if they were a little more punk) MxPx. Pedro the Lion was more challenging with their themes. This one includes a nice rendition of “Be Thou My Vision”

Patti Smith "Horses" (1975 Arista; 2018 Speakers Corner reissue)

Lots of religious references, notably with "Gloria (in excelsis deo)" which in particular opens the album with the lyric "Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine".

IMG_1406.JPG

Day 2: Oh Happy Day
play a religious record, or a record inspired by religion or religious text

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

I was raised in the same religion as the Butlers, and this album is full of references and themes that work for general Christianity, but that I read through the lens of Mormonism, more specifically.

20210402_090241.jpg

I don't have many blatantly religious records - I do have some that question religion, though.

Dead Kennedys ‎– In God We Trust, Inc.
Statik Records/Alternative Tentacles ‎– STAT EP2/VIRUS 5, 1981

UK release

Cut by George "Porky" Peckham
Pressed at MPO

pFmtVz.jpg

dvnoCI.jpg

Back