Anime And/Or Manga!

I need to watch Aggretsuko.

I haven't watched NGE in almost ten years so I'm pumped to jump back in when it drops on Netflix. Not sure "pumped" is the right word. Reluctantly excited to subject myself to an inevitable emotional funk for at least a couple of weeks?

I finally finished the 2011 Hunter X Hunter anime a couple of weekends ago. I had been watching a couple of episodes here and there for a long time. I had been enjoying it quite a bit but didn't really feel the need to plow through. It had been a long time since I had gotten wrapped up in that style of long-running show but it still felt like there was a ceiling for how much I would enjoy it. Then I finally hit a point around halfway through the series and it was all I wanted to watch. Was not expecting to end up enjoying it that much.

Hard to believe I'm on volume 90 of One Piece. Been reading since 7th grade. In it for the long haul.

What are some newish manga series you all have been reading, tho?

Buddy of mine sent me this today.

I can still brag about my import/maybe bootleg copy of the show and the movies with the original audio though, so that's cool.

Started watching Evangelion for the first time last night because I want to understand this meme:
h0ulddI.jpg

Started watching Evangelion for the first time last night because I want to understand this meme:
h0ulddI.jpg
That's hilarious, and one you can understand after part of the first episode.

On that note, I started watching this weekend, and got through Episode 6. All around, I like the new voice work, some of it is hard to distinguish from the original. The actor doing Shinji's voice felt a bit off at first, but I've gotten used to it. In fact, Shinji's screams so far are way better than the original. They convey the pain on horror this poor kid is going through very well.

Watched up through Episode 11 of Evangelion. Here's my bullet points on what I've observed so far.

I felt like the pacing was way slower when I watched it as a kid. Not even halfway through and so many iconic parts have already come and gone. Also, I forgot how hard they forshadow things from the get go.

My wife keeps asking the right questions, and it's hard not to spoil anything (she hasn't seen the series). She's had some close guesses, but hasn't figured out the Eva's yet. Also, when Ryoji first came on screen, she likened him to Spike from Cowboy Bebop. That is, until he spoke. Gave me a good laugh. Also also, she's been enjoying it so far, and seems to be amazed at how much of this show's influence can be seen in the anime she has watched.

Odd choice on the subtitles. I think they may be a more direct translation, and don't always match the spoken word. I feel like they did this on Shin Godzilla as well, so maybe it was at Anno's request?

The names of the Episodes do no match the original names, BUT, the midroll card does have the original name.

Netflix couldn't get the end credits rights to Fly Me To the Moon, which makes me sad. The replacement track is a good song though.

Shinji's new voice actor plays things more soft spoken, which works for his character. He's also less whiny. Asuka's voice is much less grating/screamy, but still sounds pretty close. Most of the other characters are very close to the original, with some slight differences.

They mention the Freedom of Information Act in the episode on the boats, where Asuka is introduced. Can't remember what the original line was, but I immediately caught this.

Overall, I'm enjoying the redub, and any complaints I have are minor/don't change the overall story and themes. The part @duke86fan mentions is much later in the series, so I haven't seen that yet. I really hope they haven't changed that, as it was a powerful scene in the original.

I've just started watching Neon Genesis: Evangelion. I really like it thus far (10 episodes in). I think I've worked out what the twists/big reveals are going to be, though.
Ha well please let us know how it ends versus your expectations as of right now. Will be interesting to hear. Surprised you haven't run into spoilers somewhere yet.

Netflix couldn't get the end credits rights to Fly Me To the Moon, which makes me sad. The replacement track is a good song though.

Wow, I didn’t know about this. I’ve been meaning to ask for access to a friend’s Netflix account just so I can rewatch the series (and possibly have my wife watch it for the 1st time), but without “Fly Me To The Moon” it won’t be the complete experience.

Wow, I didn’t know about this. I’ve been meaning to ask for access to a friend’s Netflix account just so I can rewatch the series (and possibly have my wife watch it for the 1st time), but without “Fly Me To The Moon” it won’t be the complete experience.
Just keep this queued up and play it instead

Just half watched A Silent Voice as my wife had it on - seemed very touching. Now I need to go punch something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back