Anime And/Or Manga!

Arson has occurred at the main building for Kyoto Animation (A.K.A KyoAni.)
As of now 10 people are confirmed dead, with dozens more injured and / or missing
The suspect is in custody.

Here's a link from the BBC with updated information. 12 confirmed dead so far.

• Sad
Reactions: oak
Sucks that one person died and that someone committed arson on them in the first place

Today is not a good day

Incredibly sad. I wonder if this has to do with the terrible stress animators in Japan work under.
but kyoani was always one of those studios that had much better working conditions than other studios

at least from what i heard

this is just an awful arsonist

good news is that its been confirmed that 2 of the big kyoani producers are still alive

Tatsuya Ishihara (Clannad, Chuunibyou, Nichijou, Hibike Euphonium)
Naoko Yamada (K-On, Tomoko Market, A Silent Voice)

these 3 are thankfully still alive
Yasuhiro Takemoto (haruhi suzumiya, lucky star after episode 4, dragon maid, and amagi brilliant park) is missing but we dont know if he is dead.

Last edited:
@Badams how's Paranoia Agent?
Paranoia Agent rules. I have three or four episodes left so hoping to finish tomorrow night. It took a couple of episodes for me to get invested. Then I had to take a little break after the
mutual suicide pact
episode which did a number on me - in a good but I need to take a step back kind of way. Now I'm back on track. I'm sure it'll take me a sec to gather some cohesive thoughts when it's over, like most Kon ish.

Paranoia Agent rules. I have three or four episodes left so hoping to finish tomorrow night. It took a couple of episodes for me to get invested. Then I had to take a little break after the
mutual suicide pact
episode which did a number on me - in a good but I need to take a step back kind of way. Now I'm back on track. I'm sure it'll take me a sec to gather some cohesive thoughts when it's over, like most Kon ish.

It really is cask-strength Kon - it was born out of the pile of ideas he had left over after making his first three movies, and it's kind of dazzling watching him dabble in various styles from episode to episode. The last three or four are great; you're in for a treat.

You'll notice Happy Family Planning has some strong echoes of Tokyo Godfathers, as far as the character composition. The fifth episode utilizes the same narrative techniques as Millennium Actress, and the imagery in the last few episodes is reminiscent of his later work in Paprika.

It really is cask-strength Kon - it was born out of the pile of ideas he had left over after making his first three movies, and it's kind of dazzling watching him dabble in various styles from episode to episode. The last three or four are great; you're in for a treat.

You'll notice Happy Family Planning has some strong echoes of Tokyo Godfathers, as far as the character composition. The fifth episode utilizes the same narrative techniques as Millennium Actress, and the imagery in the last few episodes is reminiscent of his later work in Paprika.
I'm ready for it. Definitely caught the Tokyo Godfathers vibes - it's probably my least favorite Kon film (still love it) but it's the one I've seen the most. Kon rules and is definitely underappreciated, at least in my experience. No idea how he's help up in Japanese circles.

I'm ready for it. Definitely caught the Tokyo Godfathers vibes - it's probably my least favorite Kon film (still love it) but it's the one I've seen the most. Kon rules and is definitely underappreciated, at least in my experience. No idea how he's help up in Japanese circles.

Tokyo Godfathers was a movie I thought was just okay the first time I watched it, and has grown enormously on subsequent viewings. It’s one of my annual Christmas movies at this point, and I think it’s a secret masterpiece.

I don't know where to post this... but one of my favourite YouTubers is apparently trying the music thing. It's okay, his voice is kind of terrible... but he sampled Gut's Theme from Berserk and I lost my mind.

sadly involving the kyoani fire

Yasuhiro Takemoto... the creator of beloved shows like haruhi suzumiya, lucky star (past episode 5), full metal panic fumofu and the second raid, hyoka, and dragon maid... is one of the victims..

RIP

I'm beginning my trek thru the Berserk's manga since I heard there's a new chapter soon. I think I'm about to start the Golden Age arc.
Absolutely loved the last arc and how they made such a vile villain so sympathetic
As I read this Forces (from the Original Anime) came on my random playlist. It's fate, I must also catch up with Berserk's Manga.

• Cheers
so i finally watched a silent voice

it was really really good

and so painfully relateable

the only problem i had (and this is probably fixed in the manga), is that everything felt very, segmented, like things were going at a rate that felt too fast

Last edited:
Back