1st Annual N&G 31 Days of Halloween (2019)

1. The Evil Dead (2013) 💀💀💀💀
I’ll preface by saying I love this one.
Brutal, and I mean brutal, reimagining of a horror classic, this is not your Bruce Campbell Evil Dead. However, this movie is good. Great, even. Love the snowballing descent into darkness here, and all the characters are good. Excellent tension and the film never drags, in my opinion. All I want to say without spoiling anything.
This movie is so underrated. I saw it opening night and the crowd was going fucking crazy, in a good way. Definitely one of the best and most memorable moviegoing experiences I've had.

This movie is so underrated. I saw it opening night and the crowd was going fucking crazy, in a good way. Definitely one of the best and most memorable moviegoing experiences I've had.
I too vividly remember seeing this on opening day.
Still think it’s one of the best horror films of the 2010’s.
Honestly wanted to give it four and a half skulls,
wasn’t sure if that was kosher though.

1. The Evil Dead (2013) 💀💀💀💀
I’ll preface by saying I love this one.
Brutal, and I mean brutal, reimagining of a horror classic, this is not your Bruce Campbell Evil Dead. However, this movie is good. Great, even. Love the snowballing descent into darkness here, and all the characters are good. Excellent tension and the film never drags, in my opinion. All I want to say without spoiling anything.

I've owned the Blu Ray for years...but haven't even opened it. Maybe I'll cut off the shrink and give it a go this month.

Yeah i tried to do a half skull for It Chapter Two but wasnt sure how so just stuck with three lol

If someone can figure out a way to make a half skull emoji - or we can just add a ½...I have no issue with that.

I've owned the Blu Ray for years...but haven't even opened it. Maybe I'll cut off the shrink and give it a go this month.

If someone can figure out a way to make a half skull emoji - or we can just add a ½...I have no issue with that.
So you’ve never watched the remake?
Definitely recommend checking it out!

As a huge fan of the original trilogy, it didn’t tarnish the legacy.
Also, at least for me, it has a huge rewatchability factor.

Just know that It’s more of a horror than a horror/comedy.
Would love to hear your thoughts as I know you are a big fan of the Campbell films.

So you’ve never watched the remake?
Definitely recommend checking it out!

As a huge fan of the original trilogy, it didn’t tarnish the legacy.
Also, at least for me, it has a huge rewatchability factor.

Just know that It’s more of a horror than a horror/comedy.
Would love to hear your thoughts as I know you are a big fan of the Campbell films.

Nope. I REALLY like the original movies - so remakes just don't usually do anything for me. But I have heard it was pretty good - which got me to buy it - but nothing really has gotten me to watch it. But I will now.

Nope. I REALLY like the original movies - so remakes just don't usually do anything for me. But I have heard it was pretty good - which got me to buy it - but nothing really has gotten me to watch it. But I will now.
I’m with you on this statement.

Also, not sure how it took me so long to find this thread.
Love horror movies, love Halloween, and am aiming to try knocking out one movie a night.

I’m with you on this statement.

Also, not sure how it took me so long to find this thread.
Love horror movies, love Halloween, and am aiming to try knocking out one movie a night.

It only officially started on the 1st - I started the thread a bit early to work out the kinks and such - but if we get enough traffic and discussion we can make it an annual event.

9/11
I

16. Mandy (2018) 💀💀💀💀
Who'd have thought there would be a good movie starring Nicolas Cage in 2018? This is one fucked up movie...but very effective. It also helps that the score is one of the best of last year (RIP JĂłhann JĂłhannsson) - and the movie starts off with a King Crimson song.

View attachment 18794

I assume this film gets better then! I. never ever give up on films....well until i watched 15 mins of possibly the worst 15 mins of film ive ever seen.

Last edited:

Pumpkin Head, The Exorcist, The Evil Dead, The Shining, Krampus/The New Evil Dead.

Those are the 5 (6 but fight me) horror movies I can put on at anytime and know I'll have a good time. Going into the remake I was super skeptical that they were going to attempt to mimic the original but loved that it stands as its own film and nodded at its history. Hope you dig it!

Tried to put on The Babadook last night, heard good things just haven't caught it, but I got vetoed. Go out of town next week for work so you can expect I'll be getting my fill in.

Last edited:
Pumpkin Head, The Exorcist, The Evil Dead, The Shining, Krampus/The New Evil Dead.

Those are the 5 (6 but fight me) horror movies I can put on at anytime and know I'll have a good time. Going into the remake I was super skeptical that they were going to attempt to mimic the original but loved that it stands as its own film and nodded at its history. Hope you dig it!

Tried to put on The Babadook last night, heard good things just haven't caught it, but I got vetoed. Go out of town next week for work so you can expect I'll be getting my fill in.
Oh man, The Babadook is wonderful!
Would love to revisit that one.

10/3
03 Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992)
💀💀
Hubs put this on last night and I pretty much cringed the whole time. It gets two skulls bc I was way into this movie when it got released. I mean, what 90s teen isn’t going to love Keanu, Winona, and Anthony Hopkins going up against Gary Oldman’s Dracula? Right?! Stylistically, it’s still beautiful. And there are some fun scenes. But man, I’ll need a few beers before putting this on again.

Movie #3
Zombieland (2009)
In preparation for the sequel later this month, I decided to rewatch Zombieland for the first time in a while. This movie sort of predated the huge zombie boom of the 2010s that The Walking Dead helped create and so it was interesting to revisit after being so over-exposed to zombies for many years. It's a very character-driven comedy and the chemistry between the main cast is fantastic. It's a movie that it feels like it was a lot of fun to make and that sort of vibe carries over to the viewer a lot of the time. It's a very sincerely straightforward movie; unlike many other horror comedies that try too hard to subvert cliches and wink to the camera, Zombieland’s humor lies more in the way the characters play off each other and the amusing situations created by putting competent yet dysfunctional characters in the apocalypse. And for a comedy about the post-apocalypse, it's message is surprisingly lacking in cynicism. It's a fairly refreshing take on zombie movies and not a bad way to spend an hour and a half at all.
Final rating: đź’€ đź’€ đź’€ 1/2

10/4 - (watched it last night)
17 - The Cabin In The Woods (2011) đź’€ đź’€ đź’€ đź’€

One my favorite movies Joss Whedon has worked on. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford are 2 of my favorite actors, so it was nice seeing them in these rolls.

Last edited:
10/4
04 Godzilla (1954)
💀💀💀💀💀
I was first introduced to Godzilla with the “Americanized” 1956 version of this movie as a kid. It wasn’t until much later in high school that I saw this one. And this one is so much better. Hearing the actual Japanese, more scenes that give it the political-social commentary on nuclear weapons this movie is, and Godzilla, lol.

2. Saw (2004) 💀💀💀 - it had been some years since I last watched this. Even though it’s total Seven rip off, and the acting is terrible even by horror movie standards (RIP to Cary Elwes’ career after this one), it’s still pretty entertaining. It helped that I had forgotten some of the twists.

2. Saw (2004) 💀💀💀 - it had been some years since I last watched this. Even though it’s total Seven rip off, and the acting is terrible even by horror movie standards (RIP to Cary Elwes’ career after this one), it’s still pretty entertaining. It helped that I had forgotten some of the twists.

I was thinking about doing a Saw marathon - I don't think I've seen any past part 2.

Back