1st Annual N&G 31 Days of Halloween (2019)

9/11
01 - Dolls (1986) πŸ’€ πŸ’€
Being a fan of Stuart Gordon I am surprised I never watched this movie before now...but it wasn't that good. Tried to be funny when it just wasn't.
02 - Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (2011) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
Better than it should be. A go-to to have on and pass time.
9/12
03 - Urban Legend (1998) πŸ’€ πŸ’€
Never watched it until now....thinking it was just another Scream rip-off...and it was. It was OK...the ending wasn't much of a surprise.

9/11
Phantasm - (1979) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
The "Tall Man" and his sphere scared the crap out of 15 year old me, but I still find myself watching this movie every October, lol. What's there really not to like, creepy main character who's a grave robber that turns the dead into dwarf zombies........the jump scares are on point, but it has become a bit dated ;)

9/11
The "Tall Man" and his sphere scared the crap out of 15 year old me, but I still find myself watching this movie every October, lol. What's there really not to like, creepy main character who's a grave robber that turns the dead into dwarf zombies........the jump scares are on point, but it has become a bit dated ;)

Very nice start. Will definitely be watching this series sometime before Halloween.

Curiosity got me to watch part II when it came out, but it looses steam quickly after the original, just a PSA ;)

I agree...but for some reason I still like them all...even Part 5.

It is a bit dated, but part 1 is still my favorite....

I have this signed poster from Phactory
20190912_054457 (2).jpg

This poster was an exclusive for Circuit City and came inside the first Anchor Bay DVD release - 1 in 7 were signed by Don Coscarelli
20190912_054510 (2).jpg
cc-1.jpg

This is the Anchor Bay Region 2 DVD set - which at the time was the only way to get Part 2 on DVD - and the sphere is cool.
There is suppose to be a new Region A Blu Ray set that is in a full size sphere like this out "around Halloween" this year, but I haven't seen anything new about it or even pre-orders.
20190912_054606 (2).jpg

The Mondo Christmas ornament my wife won't let me hang on the tree.
20190912_054809 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I agree...but for some reason I still like them all...even Part 5.

It is a bit dated, but part 1 is still my favorite....

I have this signed poster from Phactory
View attachment 16884

This poster was an exclusive for Circuit City and came inside the first Anchor Bay DVD release - 1 in 7 were signed by Don Coscarelli
View attachment 16885
cc-1.jpg

This is the Anchor Bay Region 2 DVD set - which at the time was the only way to get Part 2 on DVD - and the sphere is cool.
They is suppose to be a new Region A Blu Ray set that is in a full size sphere like this out "around Halloween" this year, but I haven't seen anything new about it or even pre-orders.
View attachment 16886

The Mondo Christmas ornament my wife won't let me hang on the tree.
View attachment 16887
Lol.....love the ornament 😜

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is so good! I don't care for a lot of horror comedies that try to be overly subversive by making fun of horror movie cliches, because a lot of them try way too hard. But Tucker & Dale is definitely one of the more smartly written and genuinely funny I've seen.

The writer/director's follow-up is Little Evil. It's good...not as good as T&DvsE....but very watchable - would also give 4 skulls.

The director is also Sally Fields son - and he put her in the movie.

Last edited:
The writer/director's follow-up is Little Evil. It's good...not as good as T&DvsE....but very watchable - would also give 4 skulls.

The director is also Sally Fields son - and he put her in the movie.

I remember this coming out but I must have seen a bad trailer or something that turned me off from it. I'll give it a go at some point!

I got about 5 hours until a baseball game starts, so I'm gonna find another movie or 2 to watch. I may not get to any tonight as I think I'll be busy with Borderlands 3. Tomorrow will be a good day for a marathon.

I'm using this early time to get to movies I haven't seen, as most of my favorites will be watched closer to Halloween.

9/11
Being a fan of Stuart Gordon I am surprised I never watched this movie before now...but it wasn't that good. Tried to be funny when it just wasn't.
9/12
Never watched it until now....thinking it was just another Scream rip-off...and it was. It was OK...the ending wasn't much of a surprise.

04 - The Crazies (2010) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
Not a bad remake compared to the original, which I didn't care for. I actually like this remake more than Snyder's Dawn Of The Dead remake, probably only because I really like the original of that one more.

9/11

9/12
Jeepers Creepers - (2001) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Not the scariest of scary, but I really like the first 2 installments of this series, I actually think part 2 is more fun, lol. I like the "lore" of the creature and his regeneration methods, it's a fun/tense Halloween pic :)

Movie #1 (9/13)
It (2017)
In preparation for seeing the sequel tomorrow, I rewatched the 2017 version of It. I saw it twice in the theaters so I didn't feel much of a need to see it again for a while until now. But I figured now was a good time to give myself a refresher.

Honestly, I forgot what a well made and creatively creepy movie this was! There's so many cool visuals and ideas throughout the film, and there's several moments that are both oddly scary and funny at the same time. It's a tricky thing to pull off but this film does it masterfully.

It helps that Pennywise as an antagonist is motivated by a need to instill fear in its victims. As a horror premise, it is genius as it provides for so many endless possibilities. The whole cast is very good, but Bill SkarsgΓ₯rd easily steals the film and is so entertaining to watch.

I don't know how the sequel will change my opinion, or if it even will at all. I'm eager to see if it can maintain the quality of this first installment. I have faith but will try to keep lowered expectations. Regardless, this film stands well on its own anyway and is a treat for fans of horror.

Final rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

9/11
9/12
Not a bad remake compared to the original, which I didn't care for. I actually like this remake more than Snyder's Dawn Of The Dead remake, probably only because I really like the original of that one more.

9/13

05 - Friday The 13th Part 2 (1981) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
I get most people like the twist ending of the first, but I don't need or like a bunch of backstory in a slasher flick. They kinda pulled the "Jason is still alive" out of their ass, but it seems to have had some staying power.
06 - Broken Lizard's Club Dread (2004) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
As a slasher spoof, I thought it was good...better than how it seems to be rated

9/11

9/12
Jeepers Creepers - (2001) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Not the scariest of scary, but I really like the first 2 installments of this series, I actually think part 2 is more fun, lol. I like the "lore" of the creature and his regeneration methods, it's a fun/tense Halloween pic :)

9/13
The Curse of La llorona - (2019) πŸ’€
I should have known better. While I really like the movie that started this connected universe, The Conjuring, they're starting to get a bit lazy in my opinion. I know that the movie makers are presenting these movies much like Marvel, all these exist in the same "universe" as it were, and there seems to always be a scene or character that connects the movies. But for the love of god, make the movie 30-40 minutes longer and connect some dots and or establish some "rules". You're left making a lot of assumptions as to why certain things are happening and or not happening, and due to that the movie ends up being a lot of cliche horror moments. There are way too many ".....there is no way this character would do this" and "Why was the ghost able to do this before, but not now"...........it's a hot mess and wasn't even entertaining. Oh, and they sprinkle in just the slightest humor, which falls flat and is out of place.

Last edited:
ParaNorman - wonderful animated film with a strange sense of humour and darkness to it. Filled with plenty of horror movie tropes and Easter eggs. It’s got zombies in it, so it might be a bit extreme for very young kids but I’d say you’d be good from 5 upwards maybe (as long as they’ve got a bit of a dark side to them, my nieces love this film) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
I looooove this movie. It's a shame it (and Laika as a whole) is so underrated. It's so funny and charming but also can be a very dark and heartfelt movie when it needs to be. I would second a recommendation to this any day.

ParaNorman - wonderful animated film with a strange sense of humour and darkness to it. Filled with plenty of horror movie tropes and Easter eggs. It’s got zombies in it, so it might be a bit extreme for very young kids but I’d say you’d be good from 5 upwards maybe (as long as they’ve got a bit of a dark side to them, my nieces love this film) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
One of my favorites :)

9/11
9/12
9/13
05 - Friday The 13th Part 2 (1981) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
I get most people like the twist ending of the first, but I don't need or like a bunch of backstory in a slasher flick. They kinda pulled the "Jason is still alive" out of their ass, but it seems to have had some staying power.
06 - Broken Lizard's Club Dread (2004) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
As a slasher spoof, I thought it was good...better than how it seems to be rated
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9/14
07 - Sorority House Massacre (1987) πŸ’€
Just bad.

9/15
08 - Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€πŸ’€
I should watch this more often. This version was the English dub.

09 - The Final Terror (1983) πŸ’€ πŸ’€
Not a bad survival slasher - not a whole lot of plot and most of the actors just yelled and weren't very likable.
With Daryl Hannah, Adrian Zmed and Joe Pantoliano.

Back