1st Annual N&G 31 Days of Halloween (2019)

9/11
01 - Dolls (1986) πŸ’€ πŸ’€
Being a fan of Stuart Gordon I am surprised I never watched this movie before now...but it wasn't that good. Tried to be funny when it just wasn't.
02 - Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (2011) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
Better than it should be. A go-to to have on and pass time.
9/12
03 - Urban Legend (1998) πŸ’€ πŸ’€
Never watched it until now....thinking it was just another Scream rip-off...and it was. It was OK...the ending wasn't much of a surprise.
04 - The Crazies (2010) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
Not a bad remake compared to the original, which I didn't care for. I actually like this remake more than Snyder's Dawn Of The Dead remake, probably only because I really like the original of that one more.
9/13
05 - Friday The 13th Part 2 (1981) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
I get most people like the twist ending of the first, but I don't need or like a bunch of backstory in a slasher flick. They kinda pulled the "Jason is still alive" out of their ass, but it seems to have had some staying power.
06 - Broken Lizard's Club Dread (2004) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
As a slasher spoof, I thought it was good...better than how it seems to be rated
9/14
07 - Sorority House Massacre (1987) πŸ’€
Just bad.
9/15
08 - Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€πŸ’€
I should watch this more often. This version was the English dub.
09 - The Final Terror (1983) πŸ’€ πŸ’€
Not a bad survival slasher - not a whole lot of plot and most of the actors just yelled and weren't very likable.
With Daryl Hannah, Adrian Zmed and Joe Pantoliano.

9/18
10 - Chopping Mall (1986) πŸ’€ πŸ’€
Killer security robots...in a mall. Dated by today's standards, but isn't too bad. Having Barbara Crampton is nice.

9/11
Being a fan of Stuart Gordon I am surprised I never watched this movie before now...but it wasn't that good. Tried to be funny when it just wasn't.
9/12
Never watched it until now....thinking it was just another Scream rip-off...and it was. It was OK...the ending wasn't much of a surprise.
Not a bad remake compared to the original, which I didn't care for. I actually like this remake more than Snyder's Dawn Of The Dead remake, probably only because I really like the original of that one more.
9/13
I get most people like the twist ending of the first, but I don't need or like a bunch of backstory in a slasher flick. They kinda pulled the "Jason is still alive" out of their ass, but it seems to have had some staying power.
As a slasher spoof, I thought it was good...better than how it seems to be rated
9/14
Just bad.
9/15
08 - Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Not a bad survival slasher - not a whole lot of plot and most of the actors just yelled and weren't very likable.
9/18
Killer security robots...in a mall. Dated by today's standards, but isn't too bad. Having Barbara Crampton is nice.

9/26
The Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy
11. Shaun of the Dead (2004) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
12. Hot Fuzz (2007) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
13. The World's End (2013) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Not much to say about these movies...all are great. The World's End is better each time I watch it.

Saw IT Chapter Two this weekend with the S/O. We both really enjoyed it. Happy we got to catch it at the theater. Probably picking up tickets to catch the new 4k restoration (they worked on the audio finally!) of the original Evil Dead at my local Alamo as well.

9/11
9/12
9/13
9/14
Just bad.
9/15
9/18
10 - Chopping Mall[/COLOR] (1986) πŸ’€ πŸ’€
9/26
Not much to say about these movies...all are great. The World's End is better each time I watch it.

9/27
14. Creepshow (TV series) Episode 1 (2019) πŸ’€πŸ’€
For being a new series, it was ok...but kinda boring. The second story w/ the doll house was better than the first....but didn't really go anywhere.

Last edited:
I saw It: Chapter Two on Saturday and still am trying to compose my thoughts to post in here. Will report back when I can do that!
OKAY sorry for slacking y'all. I'm in this shiznit for real now.

Movie #2
It: Chapter Two (2019)
I've seen this movie twice now and I'm still not quite sure to make of it. Parts of it are fun and effectively creepy, but as a whole, it's a bit disappointing imo. I think this film is great at showing that bigger does not always equal better. It feels like the filmmakers were more concerned with one-upping the first film than actually continuing and concluding the story in a very satisfying and engaging way. The characters, the drama and - most disappointingly - the scares just don't pull me in like the first film did. And the film is so long and drags so much, especially in the final act. It feels like there's a lot that could have been cut to make a more compact and entertaining film. I'm glad I saw it, but it feels like a film that could have benefited from a few rewrites. Overall decent, if a bit underwhelming.

I want to give it 2 and a half skulls, but idk how to so 3 will suffice for now.
Final rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

9/11
9/12
9/13
9/14
Just bad.
9/15
9/18
9/26
9/27
For being a new series, it was ok...but kinda boring. The second story w/ the doll house was better than the first....but didn't really go anywhere.

10/2
15. Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Nowhere near the classic of the original, but this movie is just fucking awesome. The Scream Factory blu ray is worth a purchase for a decent picture and audio as well as multiple commentaries and other extras.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
OKAY sorry for slacking y'all. I'm in this shiznit for real now.

Movie #2
It: Chapter Two (2019)
I've seen this movie twice now and I'm still not quite sure to make of it. Parts of it are fun and effectively creepy, but as a whole, it's a bit disappointing imo. I think this film is great at showing that bigger does not always equal better. It feels like the filmmakers were more concerned with one-upping the first film than actually continuing and concluding the story in a very satisfying and engaging way. The characters, the drama and - most disappointingly - the scares just don't pull me in like the first film did. And the film is so long and drags so much, especially in the final act. It feels like there's a lot that could have been cut to make a more compact and entertaining film. I'm glad I saw it, but it feels like a film that could have benefited from a few rewrites. Overall decent, if a bit underwhelming.

I want to give it 2 and a half skulls, but idk how to so 3 will suffice for now.
Final rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
I’ve seen it twice in theaters now and feel the same way.
Even though I think the three hours flew by both times, there’s just something missing from it.
The first film was special and this one seems to ride on the success of the first more than anything else.
It’s fine, albeit slightly disappointing.

That being said, I’d watch it again.

Even though I think the three hours flew by both times, there’s just something missing from it.
The first film was special and this one seems to ride on the success of the first more than anything else.

I'm gonna wait for Blu Ray...I can't sit in a theater for 3 hours because I'd have to pee at least once - and tickets are too expensive to miss parts of a movie.

My post probably seemed negative but I liked it enough to go back to the theater to see it with friends. There's a lot to like about it and I would recommend seeing it if you enjoyed the first. But it just didn't seem as strong as the first and it was hard for me to place why.

Part of me feels like if they were to edit together a lengthy cut of the two movies put together, trimming the fat off both and maybe rearranging some stuff to flow better, it could be a really neat way to view them.

Okay, first one of the season down:
1. Vampyr (1932) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€ - this Carl Theodor Dreyer movie was panned on release but is well-regarded now. I generally like the old horror movies, but this one is SLOW. Everything about it is slow - the pacing, the character movement, the camera panning - it is a looong 73 minutes. Still, it has a lot of creepy imagery and beautiful shots, and the ending is really good/memorable. I'll probably return to it at sometime, but not soon.

10/2
02 The Gate (1987)
πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Oh man, this one scared the shit out of me as a kid. Pretty much any horror movie with kids having to deal with the baddies would do it. But I think this one still holds up. The kids are great, the buildup is spooky. I always remembered actor Stephen Dorff as the kid from The Gate, lol. And I love the late 80s fashion. Also, they listen to a record backwards! So it’s required viewing for vinyl fans. :)

9/11
9/12
9/13
9/14
Just bad.
9/15
9/18
9/26
9/27
10/2
15. Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Nowhere near the classic of the original, but this movie is just fucking awesome. The Scream Factory blu ray is worth a purchase for a decent picture and audio as well as multiple commentaries and other extras.

16. Mandy (2018) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Who'd have thought there would be a good movie starring Nicolas Cage in 2018? This is one fucked up movie...but very effective. It also helps that the score is one of the best of last year (RIP JΓ³hann JΓ³hannsson) - and the movie starts off with a King Crimson song.

_DSC0001 (2).JPG

1. The Evil Dead (2013) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
I’ll preface by saying I love this one.
Brutal, and I mean brutal, reimagining of a horror classic, this is not your Bruce Campbell Evil Dead. However, this movie is good. Great, even. Love the snowballing descent into darkness here, and all the characters are good. Excellent tension and the film never drags, in my opinion. All I want to say without spoiling anything.

Back