Zu Dirty Weekend

Well shit. They just announced a new Starlight finish which is great but i notice where now Black Satin is now the entry finish and the Rustic Hickory is $100 more.
I take it you would have preferred the black satin finish? Because I love the rustic hickory finish on my DWs, much better than yet another flat black speaker. So I'm glad I got them before the price went up.

I take it you would have preferred the black satin finish? Because I love the rustic hickory finish on my DWs, much better than yet another flat black speaker. So I'm glad I got them before the price went up.

There is a high probability that if that would have been the entry level option, then I would have ended up with that finish. Buuuut, considering that most of our furniture is dark, the hickory is a nice contrast. I think I was just annoyed with the change in options so soon after I ordered.

So what I’m supposed to be noticing with the load resistors applied? Deeper bass?
The resistors are best for folks whose amplifier performs better with a lower impedance than the DWs fairly high 11ohm load. I found the resistors to close things off with my amps. Some folks have reported things sounding more full, open or "right" with them in place. YMMV

The resistors are best for folks whose amplifier performs better with a lower impedance than the DWs fairly high 11ohm load. I found the resistors to close things off with my amps. Some folks have reported things sounding more full, open or "right" with them in place. YMMV

I’ve only listened to one record since I’ve had them on so I’ll have to experiment. I felt like with this listen, the speakers didn’t sound as open as they did before. My current amp is 30w per into 8 ohm and speaker impedance is 4(minimum).

I’ve only listened to one record since I’ve had them on so I’ll have to experiment. I felt like with this listen, the speakers didn’t sound as open as they did before. My current amp is 30w per into 8 ohm and speaker impedance is 4(minimum).
The resistors might be making your amp work overtime in your situation. Worth trying a few more albums, then listening without.

I'm sure there is a logical reason, but why are the Omen bookshelves so much more than the DWs?

The DW sale closed after about 2 hours last time - looks like it is still open if anyone is interested.

And like the Omens, they use new rather than recycled drivers.
Actually, "Omen Dirty Weekend features the same nanotech full-range driver and super-tweeter as the standard Omen Mk.II (these are not refurbished drivers)."

I think that the number of requests to upgrade Omens with the newer drivers eventually slowed down, so Zu no longer has the flow of old drivers to recycle.

Back