Zu Dirty Weekend

bother

Hey guys, I just saw that Zu is starting to take orders again for their fantastic Dirty Weekends. They're $999 base price and I snagged a pair about a year ago. I have to say, I've heard a fair number of speakers now around the 1k and under mark, and a few above, and the Zu DWs are easily one of the best. Just thought I'd share in case anyone was interested in snagging a pair: https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-dirty-weekend-2

I didn't realize the DW were half down upfront, and full balance for shipping. That makes things a little easier for some people too. Also just another cool option you don't see with many speakers.

I'm not jumping on these this time around, but I have a sneaking suspicion that at some point in my life I will be jumping on this. Even if I'm not that into the Zu sound, I think curiosity will just get the best of me and I'm going to need to try them at home.

I didn't realize the DW were half down upfront, and full balance for shipping. That makes things a little easier for some people too. Also just another cool option you don't see with many speakers.

I'm not jumping on these this time around, but I have a sneaking suspicion that at some point in my life I will be jumping on this. Even if I'm not that into the Zu sound, I think curiosity will just get the best of me and I'm going to need to try them at home.
Yea--the half up front is pretty awesome. My Thorens turntable through Vinyl Nirvana was the same since Dave built one for me instead of buying one that was already made by him. It's a really nice option when you're making a big purchase.

I'd like to try the Zus at some point too, but might go the pre-owned route if I ever see them available on eBay or something. I'm a KEF man myself right now.

Yea--would be an interesting comparison for sure but not a $1,000 interesting comparison for me hahah
Yup, they do the 60 days in home trial, but you still need to shell it out up front and not have that cash for awhile.

Keep an eye on their used/preloved section too, especially about 3-6 months after they do a DW sale. I think every cycle they have a few people almost immediately use the DW's to trade up. None in there now, but I do remember seeing a few pairs in the past. It's usually still $900, but usually has upgraded finishes and sometimes clarity caps and stuff.

Yup, they do the 60 days in home trial, but you still need to shell it out up front and not have that cash for awhile.

Keep an eye on their used/preloved section too, especially about 3-6 months after they do a DW sale. I think every cycle they have a few people almost immediately use the DW's to trade up. None in there now, but I do remember seeing a few pairs in the past. It's usually still $900, but usually has upgraded finishes and sometimes clarity caps and stuff.
Thanks! I'll keep my eye out. I recently got some KEF 101 reference speakers and have the R300s but if the reference speakers ever kick the bucket, I think the Zus and Magnepans are at the top of my list even though I hate the the look of the Maggies...

Thanks! I'll keep my eye out. I recently got some KEF 101 reference speakers and have the R300s but if the reference speakers ever kick the bucket, I think the Zus and Magnepans are at the top of my list even though I hate the the look of the Maggies...

From a former Maggie owner, you want the Zus.

I feel like this doesn't come up enough with hi-fi gear but... the Zus are really pretty, like beautiful designed. I know they need to sound good first and foremost, but we also have to live with these things in our space all the time. They're just bit obelisks but the finish is really impeccable.

Yeah I love that they do the in home trial thing. Just be warned for anyone considering, they're big and heavy, so lugging them around, reboxing them, etc, is going to be a pain in the ass. Won't matter since everyone wants to keep them, but still.

Zu Omen Dirty Weekend sales are open again, "through November 8, or until sales exceed production."

Last edited:
I’m at the Capitol Audiofest and Zu has a pair of Dirty Weekends feeding through some Brooklyn Audio amps. They’ve also got a couple turntables routing through (I think) a Sutherland Insight.

Not bad! They’re pushing them a little hard so they’re sounding a touch grainy, but impressively big sound out of small speakers.

Back