Zu Dirty Weekend

Tomorrow's the day for any of you folks debating getting a pair! They added an additional capacitor upgrade above and beyond the claritycap upgrade. More details in the link...

Tomorrow's the day for any of you folks debating getting a pair! They added an additional capacitor upgrade above and beyond the claritycap upgrade. More details in the link...
I gotta say, the more time I spend listening to my ZU Speakers the more impressed I am with them. They're a bit fussy, it might take you a little more effort than most speakers, but once you get them dialed in their very impressive.

How necessary is that cap? What amps do recommend with?

I gotta say, the more time I spend listening to my ZU Speakers the more impressed I am with them. They're a bit fussy, it might take you a little more effort than most speakers, but once you get them dialed in their very impressive.
100% As long as a person takes time to try different positioning configurations, they will sound fantastic. Not that they are terrible if you don't, but proper placement unlocks their full potential. I think toe in is something we've all found to be necessary.

How necessary is that cap? What amps do recommend with?
I've only heard mine with the claritycap. The online consensus seems to be that they are worth the extra $100.

You can always contact Zu and get their 2 cents, esp if you have an amp in mind. They've done audio shows with Pass Labs, First Watt as well as Rogue Audio that I know of. I know they recommend low power tube amps as well. I've used a low power (8 watts @ 8 ohms) solid state amp and now a 36 watt tube amp, both with great results. They are very efficient, so gobs of power is unnecessary but also not a problem, given they've paired them with the Rogue Sphinx at shows (and now sell them on the Zu website??) which is 100 watts. I think you might not want to pair them with a bright amp with over emphasized treble, as the Zus are a bit more lively than your typical speaker.

My friend will be pairing them with a 50W slimline Marantz receiver. I expect they will sound great given my experience pairing less impressive speakers (Klipsch RF3-IIs) with that receiver’s big brother.

I've only heard mine with the claritycap. The online consensus seems to be that they are worth the extra $100.

You can always contact Zu and get their 2 cents, esp if you have an amp in mind. They've done audio shows with Pass Labs, First Watt as well as Rogue Audio that I know of. I know they recommend low power tube amps as well. I've used a low power (8 watts @ 8 ohms) solid state amp and now a 36 watt tube amp, both with great results. They are very efficient, so gobs of power is unnecessary but also not a problem, given they've paired them with the Rogue Sphinx at shows (and now sell them on the Zu website??) which is 100 watts. I think you might not want to pair them with a bright amp with over emphasized treble, as the Zus are a bit more lively than your typical speaker.
Im in a small room or at least narrow. I’ve been using bookshelf 100 - 22khz with a small enclosed down firing sub 250watts the speakers are on an ab 30 wpc.

They are not bad for the room. image and separation is there. Just want a bigger sound stage when I move up.

Why wouldn’t I just grab their Zu cubes (pair) and upgrade my sub? Just curious.

Why wouldn’t I just grab their Zu cubes (pair) and upgrade my sub? Just curious.
Maybe that's the best solution. I would really recommend calling them up. They provide great customer service and would answer any question you have about amps, differences between their speakers, etc., all while factoring in your room and the music you listen to.

Talking to them it seemed like bookshelves or floor standing was a better option than the cubes for my listening.

I missed the sale by the amount of time it took me to walk to my car after work. I decided if they were there after...only two hours after the start... I was in. checked before I hit the door and all was good. I thought I’d go to my car and do the deal. When I refreshed it was over.

Now I’m kicking around just getting the full on version Vs waiting till July.

Talking to them it seemed like bookshelves or floor standing was a better option than the cubes for my listening.

I missed the sale by the amount of time it took me to walk to my car after work. I decided if they were there after...only two hours after the start... I was in. checked before I hit the door and all was good. I thought I’d go to my car and do the deal. When I refreshed it was over.

Now I’m kicking around just getting the full on version Vs waiting till July.
Damn, that sucks. If you haven't already, you should get in on their emails or check their Deals section frequently. They sell a lot of returned pairs (They have an exchange program) and you might even snag a better price. Obvs you might not get the finish you want, but it's another option to consider.

Damn, that sucks. If you haven't already, you should get in on their emails or check their Deals section frequently. They sell a lot of returned pairs (They have an exchange program) and you might even snag a better price. Obvs you might not get the finish you want, but it's another option to consider.

Even if the price is the same, you can get a returned pair immediately, assuming you find a pair you want.

Even if the price is the same, you can get a returned pair immediately, assuming you find a pair you want.
If I order from Zu normal website offered speakers, how long does it usually take? Are they all built to order? Don’t see info on the site.

They are built to order. I ordered mine last April, and had them do the ClarityCap upgrade. They were ready to ship almost 2 months to the day later.

EDIT - I should clarify that I got Dirty Weekends. They get less burn in time, are the speakers they build the most of, and likely built the quickest.

Last edited:
If I order from Zu normal website offered speakers, how long does it usually take? Are they all built to order? Don’t see info on the site.

I emailed them mid-March about the lead time for Soul Supremes and they said 6 weeks after ordering. I also asked about matching with my Parasound HINT 6 and they said they hadn't tried it (so I sort of took that mean it might not be a good match?). They did say that the best way to find out if it's a good match would be to take advantage of their 60-day trial period. I'm still super curious about how they sound in person but I was able to see into the future of me getting into trouble and buying a PrimaLuna "just to see what else".... ;)

I decided to go with different speakers and I'm really happy with them.

I'd email them or call though...they're super helpful / friendly.

I ordered my Soul Supremes mid April, and they arrived exactly 3 weeks later. It looks like their lead time is all over the place. Must depend on how busy they are.

I ordered my Soul Supremes mid April, and they arrived exactly 3 weeks later. It looks like their lead time is all over the place. Must depend on how busy they are.

Aw man, if it was 3 weeks for me, I would've ordered! When I emailed, it was right around when they were about to start accepting early access orders for the DW (for previous customers...I've purchased 3 sets of cables from them via eBay).

I was early in $300.00 deposit March 14 for the April 2nd Dirty Weekend. No info as of today.

I was early in $300.00 deposit March 14 for the April 2nd Dirty Weekend. No info as of today.
Looking thru my old emails from last year, it looks like I didn't get any emails from Zu (other than order confirmations immediately after placing the order) until June, two months later, to let me know they'd be shipping soon. Unless you reach out with a question, you might not hear from them for awhile.

Back