Your week in music (last.fm collages...)

February recap:

2022February.jpg

Amber Mark addiction is real. Said it before but the newest from yeule is real good, high recommendation for ambient pop/hyperpop/industrial pop listeners. Ants From Up There is my 2022 AotY so far, with Marchita and Pompeii being excellent candidates for top50 honors.

Week 9 summary

collage - 2022-03-04T085817.206.jpeg

So I'm not really digging the new Big Thief and Beach House albums as complete albums. Some songs are good. However, I know that both are nearly prototypes of artists to whose songs you need to listen several times, so it's quite possible they'll be growers in the next months for me. Especially with Beach House and their albums "Devotion" and "7" I had this experience before. The more often I listen to these albums, the better I think they are.

The Sasami record is quite interesting, some songs I don't like that much, but others are enjoyable. Similiar thing with Melt Yourself Down. I don't like the new album as much as their previous ones, but it might be a grower as well.

Huerco S and Tangerine Dream offer interesting instrumental soundscapes. I've enjoyed both albums. The Methyl Ethel album is pretty good and among my favorites of Q1.

I've listened to the great Cranberries album "To the faithful departed" which has many lovely songs. They've dealed with the horrors of the war in several songs, also of course in their most famous single "Zombie", and the horrible war against Ukraine made me listen to their albums again. It's sad singer Dolores O'Riordan isn't among us anymore.

My week:
0B09AFB4-3AAB-4BEB-9466-A3BB28085BA7.jpeg
Classing it up some with Yo-Yo Ma (probably my second favorite album by him), DLO3, Kendra and HFTRR are going to dominate this year’s spins. Bon iver was soundtrack to some afternoon sleep sessions. Highway Butterfly is a great tribute to an artist I’m not overly familiar with. Costello, Orgone and Sturgill are all because recently acquired vinyl.

Week 9 summary:

2022Week9.jpg

Breakdown
Got around to the Spoon and EARTHGANG releases, both quite enjoyable. The Jacques Charlier archive compilation is also really unique and fits the odd/bizarre sounds of what I like when listening alone...seeing that my favorite record store/label here in Portland is responsible for the release, I may have to pick it up from the source at some point! Thyla and Hurray for the Riff Raff were fine; Thyla reminded me a bit of Hatchie's releases but with a more shrill lead vocalist. Sevdaliza's newest EP has one great song ("System") and a mixed bag across the rest...quite disappointing considering how excellent Shabrang is. Conway was kinda in one ear and out the other, but fine. Jean-Michel Blais's record aubades is beautiful.
Cranking through the collection playthrough, as usual. Ants From Up There and Three Dimensions Deep are essentially locks for top50 two months into 2022.

My week

20220307_113849.jpg

With the grammy's a month away I need to step up my listening of the noms, feel like I haven't given them enough time this year. On that note I think I can officially say that Justice is my favorite of them! I really don't want to love the album as much as I do but I really think its great! Also the new CMAT is great and my be my favorite of the year so far!

Week 10 summary

collage - 2022-03-10T202334.692.jpeg

The new Gang of Youth, Stromae and Nilüfer Yanya albums are good, but I think I liked their recent ones more. I've checked out the new Oliver Tree album and his previous one. I think his 2020 album is a lot better than the new one. I wouldn't say "Cowboy tears" is really bad, but I really dislike some songs on that album like "California" or "Cigarettes".

Bosse is a German indie rock singer, who got some great songs. I've enjoyed the new Federico Albanese album, great melodies. Melt yourself down and the new Beach House are growers.

Week 10 summary:

2022Week10.jpg

Breakdown
Got around to listening to ~30 new releases last week, meaning many of those do not have enough tracks to be represented on this week's chart. Of those left off, the Binker & Moses was one of my favorites I heard, and Shinichi Atobe's Love of Plastic was solid. Acts of God and Groupthink, death and stoner metal respectively, were excellent. Also enjoyed Luna Li, while all the while viewing it as a grower. Not too keen on the SASAMI, Alice Glass, Yung Kayo, Gang of Youths, and especially Oliver Tree releases.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor in concert was profoundly amazing on Wednesday.

Back