Your week in music (last.fm collages...)

My chart from last monday when the site was down

topsters2 (19).jpg

All about Grammy prep with some En Vogue and Denzel

This Week

topsters2 (20).jpg

Nothing but Grammy prep this week! Happy the show is now over so I can go back to listening to non grammy music lol. Especially since the 3 week run of Denzel, PUP and FJM is just too good to me and i need to spend time with them!!!

Week 14 recap:

2022Week14.jpg

Breakdown
Haven't been listening to a lot of new, much like last week. Hoping to get to a few more this week.
I enjoy the Soul Glo record far more than the new PUP record; much more energy and interesting breakdowns. I would also say that the Niechęć record was a pleasant surprise, but it was just missing something else for it to be a legitimate 🔥 title. The new RHCP was also a nice return to form. Both the LIGHTS and Nigo records were passable. Very disappointed with the newest from Alabaster DePlume; I lost my patience with it halfway through despite the record improving around the halfway point.
Still treading along the collection playthrough, about to wrap up the "D" titles.

My week:
72D74748-8DD0-47AF-900B-EECB6806FE26.jpeg
My wife told the baby “Daddy is on a real Hendrix kick this week.” This will continue. I wish the vinyl for Batiste wasn’t so lifeless. I probably would have spent more time with it last year. I know it caused some stir by winning AOTY but it is a fine album. Big band love for the baby. Finally spun that anniversary version of Still and the one new release from last week to make my top listens.

Week 14 Summary

collage - 2022-04-08T094322.825.jpeg

So I hadn't listened to that many new releases this week as I had my 2nd dose of the Novavax Covid vaccine on Monday (I know I'm late, but it's because I had some severe side effects from another vaccine in 2010). I felt very cold afterwards and very tired, so I've spend a lot of time sleeping for 2 days. It's a lot better by now and I'm happy I can finally attend concerts again in the future. :)

So of new releases, the RHCP is solid. I'm not a big fan of them, but it's a fun album and has good guitar and bass parts. Enjoyable. I also like the new Selah Sue album, which goes in the Soul/R&B/Pop direction.
Patrick Wolf is among my alltime favorite artists, and I was happy to see him slowly returning after a 10 year hiatus. He started a Patreon account in which he shares memories, demos and concert livestreams. I've listened again to his full discography on Spotify in the light of this, also I did this with Aldous Harding who has some great songs. I've listened to some Depeche Mode too. So the next days I will catch up on the last 3 release Fridays.

Week 15 summary

collage - 2022-04-15T060213.338.jpeg

Listened to the full Placebo discography this week. Their new album "Never let me go" is solid and their best since 2006 album "Meds".
The recent Charli XCX and "The War on drugs" albums are growers. They get better the more I listen to them. Of recent releases I've checked out and liked Wet Leg, Denzel Curry, The Regrettes and Ibibio Sound Machine.

Week 15 recap:

2022Week15.jpg

Breakdown
Really dig the new Billy Woods LP, the first hip hop album that has a good shot at my top50 this year; the production is amazing and so are his bars. There were a few others I enjoyed, namely Wet Leg, Jack White, Christian Lee Hutson, and Niechęć (a jazz group). Didn't find the Kilo Kish and Father John Misty records to be to my taste. Had a significant chunk of my week devoted to Amber Mark's album in preparation for her Portland concert last week; I had a great time and she signed my copy of the record afterwards.
Making more progress towards the collection playthrough, almost finished with the "E" titles.

Week 16 recap

collage - 2022-04-22T095331.912.jpeg

So this week was very much influenced by The War on Drugs concert I've been to, which was excellent and watching a lot of Coachella livestream over the Easter weekend. Many of the aetists I've watched and enjoyed can be found in my tap. I especially liked the performances by Rina Sawayama, Billie Eilish, Megan thee Stallion, Maneskin, Carly Rae Jepsen, Japanese Breakfast and The Regrettes (though not in the tap), IDLES and Yola. Yola, who played in the early afternoon, was really good and I hope she will get known better.

Of new releases, Alec Benjamin is okay, Jack White is alright, also Tim Kasher. But I'm not sure if any of them makes my Top 50 at the end of the year. Max Cooper's album was very enjoyable to me, some good electronica. Still need to catch up with new releases the next days.

Week 16 recap:

2022Week16.jpg

Breakdown
Solid week. Bought some more concert tickets for the upcoming months and refamiliarizing myself with Rochelle Jordan's Play With the Changes from last year, which I wrongly underrated. Had a great time at the Rina Sawayama concert from Wednesday; listened to her RINA EP on repeat for the first time in years in preparation for the show and I am finding myself liking it more than her debut SAWAYAMA.
Billy Woods' Aethiopes remains my favorite hip hop album of the year, with others in the genre lacking in comparison. Darkher's The Buried Storm was my favorite album I've listened to last week; the doomy yet ethereal atmosphere is so enchanting. BANKS, Duster, and Primer chipped in with some solid showings. Not too into the new Vince Staples, Yung Lean, or Axel Boman's LUZ.
Otherwise, continuing along with the collection playthrough slowly but surely. Just finished the "E" titles.

My week

topsters2 (21).jpg

Breakdown

Weird week for me lol. Decided this was the week To dive more into 2022 releases so I spent time with Weeknd, CMAT, FJM and Hatchie who made the list, and Anitta/Foxes who didn't make it. But i was in a weird funk with work the past couple days and the only thing that got me through it was Shania, specifically "Man I Feel Like a Women".

Week 17 recap:

2022Week17.png

Breakdown
An excellent listening week, maybe the best of the year from a quality standpoint.
Hatchie, Whatever the Weather, Tess Roby, and Kathryn Joseph are quality highlights and high recommendations. 春ねむり put out a solid record, but it has some jarring genre transitions that prevent me from fully being sold on it despite some great songs. Pusha T and Redveil add some solid hip hop to the year's catalogue. Not pictured in the 4x4 above, but Lydia Képinski, Daniel Rossen, and Mizmor & Thou put out solid albums.
Other than that, continuing on with the collection playthrough.

Back