Your week in music (last.fm collages...)

My week in music

collage (95).jpeg

I had forgotten to post in time. I'm still in the process of checking out the new releases of the recent weeks, so I can also post my Q3 in the Best of 2021 thread. Will still take a few days unfortunately.
Lots of recent great new albums for me this week, Little Simz, Amyl and The Sniffers, Maty Noyes, Lady Blackbird and Blockhead had been my favorites. Also the new Low album is getting bigger with each listen.

Week 39 recap:

2021Week39.jpg

Breakdown
The beginning of the final quarter of 2021 has some interesting releases to kick it off, in particular with this fun as hell illuminati hotties album. Would've been perfect for the summer, quite honestly. Magdalena Bay was kinda OK, seemed like it was missing something. This album from Ducks Ltd. is my introduction to them, and it was enjoyable enough. Same with Tirzah's follow up, but I feel less strong on it after a more attentive listening session. I finally got around to the Spiritualized's Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space and it was a serene experience, especially the back half. Still love my #1 and #2 albums of the year very dearly (Squid and Little Simz, respectively), and am excited to see each in concert.

collage.php

My 3x3 for the last week.

STREAMS: Home In This World: the Woody Guthrie Dustbowl Ballads tribute album (with versions by Colter Wall, Waxahatchee, Secret Sisters, Mark Lanegan...), and new Friday releases from James Blake, Lala Lala, and BADBADNOTGOOD.

SPINS: Some fresh grabs - Jaime Wyatt, JAMC (Newbury), Endtroducing 25 (Abbey Road), and Promises. And I finally opened the Pole box and gave "1" a spin.

Last week today

20211011_113325.jpg

Mainly spent the week with the new Brandi Carlile album, it's not as good as her last but god damn it still hits the spot. Also I know I'm late to the party but Billie's new album is surprisingly good and Doja Cat's "Kiss Me More " is absolutel fire!!!

My week:
9123E0D4-CB06-4B8C-8645-1B73813672EB.jpeg
Been on a Neil (that Carnegie “boot” is spectacular) and Foo Fighters kick (partially cause of Rolling Stones cover story, partly because of a @Shaymoose PIF, and deals on s/t and Medicine at Midnight on vinyl. Wasting Light is my fave). Y the Last Man caused the Radiohead. This Monophonics sounds great and will get a lot of spins. Rugged Nuggets is one of my faves of the year. The Caitlin Rose reissue is getting some attention. DMB is cause of pitchfork. New Newman loves the Jack Johnson.

Week 40 recap:

2021Week40.jpg

Breakdown
Finally back to work after over a week off, which means I am more inclined to check out a steady run of new releases! Of these, Wiki's newest (which is my intro to his music) was surprisingly enjoyable, will definitely be on my Q4 faves! Same with the synthpop/electronic hybrid release from Russian musician Kedr Livanskiy. Talk Memory is also the first time I have listened to a BADBADNOTGOOD record, I need to try that again. Was not a fan of the newest James Blake, as others have commented on. Coeur de Pirate's album was quite unique, didn't expect the album to take the direction it did after the intro track. Nao and Esperanza Spalding were both solid. Some other vinyl spins otherwise.

My week
collage (45).jpeg
I revisited James Blake's discography this week after listening to the new album. His debut and 2 newest albums are my favorites. Also listened to Four Tet's Morning/ Evening which is such a great album to go back to. The new Joy Crookes album was a delight, really like her voice and songwriting. Little Simz is solidly a top 10 album for the year in any genre, I can't think of a better new hip hop album. It's awesome that Faces is finally streaming too, looking forward to spinning the vinyl on that one. It's Mac's best mid-career release for me.

Back