Your week in music (last.fm collages...)

My week:
collage.jpg

No one is surprised that I listened to Nickel Creek the most. The Angel Bat Dawid will definitely be getting more time. Her releases are dense and esoteric and take me some time to get. A little classical from my weekly playlist. I really like the DEBBIE FRIDAY, that was the stereogum album of the week. I don't like the Lana but this was more listenable than her past releases for me. If this one didn't feel so disjointed, I might even like it. Jay-Z and Royksopp are generator project listens (Royksopp was my playlist feature from the previous week). The Cecile McLorin Salvant is ultimately more accessible than the Bat Dawid, but just as dense and esoteric and will need a few more listens before I really know how I feel about it. I'm sure I've heard some Selena before, but I never really listened to it. I was quite surprised at how much I like it so I appreciate Pitchfork for featuring it Sunday.

Alright, best I can figure is you have to add the stuff to your library and also love it and then you can use the scan button in the ios app to scrobble. It's clunky but better than having to input everything.

Week 13:

week14.jpg

Plenty of new music this week, the Lankum, Angel Bat Dawid and JPEGMAFIA and Danny Brown releases are immense, well worth checking out if you haven't already. Liturgy's new release was a bit of a grind to be honest, I don't think I finished the second disc in the end. It's been a while since I've listened to some Squarepusher, so I had to go back to the classic 'Hard Normal Daddy'.

March 2023:

March2023collage.jpg

No surprise to see the month mostly dominated by the '1001 Album' group listen, but more and more new music is creeping into my life!

Last edited:
Week 13 recap:

collage (7).jpeg

Breakdown
Lots of new releases to have given a try, making up for last week. Lucinda Chua is my favorite from last week; currently sitting in my top10 of the year. Gentle airy vocals with a modern classical/ambient pop instrumental backing that I simply can't recommend enough. I'll be adding it to my Q2 chart. JPEGMAFIA x Danny Brown collab is bonkers. Love the new Arooj Aftab project as well. Surprisingly didn't hate the new Fall Out Boy, glad they shed off the awful electropop direction from the past two albums. Navy Blue put out a solid drumless hip hop LP. Debby Friday is a fun time. Lana and Depeche Mode are fine, though kinda uninspiring. Caroline Rose is bleh.
Otherwise, playing through other favorites of the year. Might be taking an indefinite hiatus from the 1001 Album Challenge...I'm unable to post thoughts and listen on a frequent volume.

My week

D04D68D1-41B8-40B9-97E2-8C8094250169.jpeg

I’m kinda burned out on music rn so I really didn’t listen to much outside of the record challenge ones. Finally got around to listening to the new Lana and I honestly have no idea what to to think of it, Kali Uchis hasn’t quite clicked either. All I’m really in the mood to listen to is stand up albums and Spotify really doesn’t have enough of them. Also I have no recollection of listening to Cardi this week lol

My week:
collage.jpg
I can't imagine a world where those first two aren't at the top of my most played at the end of the year. I imagine they are both in contention for my top ten. Let's see what else is going on here, Zevon, I've been trying to dig into him for a while so seeing him as the Pitchfork Sunday pick was welcome. I'm coming round. The Almanac Singers was from the 1000 recordings to hear book. Great activist folk music. Queens was the album I like the most from the previous week's generator project. Um... there wasn't really an album I had not heard before that I actually liked so I went with the best one from the week. The Katie Gately was great art pop fun, reminding me of Bjork and whole slew of other folks I can't remember right this second. I picked up Vol 2 of Watkins Family Hour cheap on vinyl recently. I tacked this onto the order because I didn't have it and well, I've been listening to a bunch of Thile and the siblings Watkins... Ramones is the 33 1/3 podcast, its a great one, so it doesn't even phase me that its a long episode that will spill over into next week. Boygenius is pretty great as well.

Week 14 recap:

collage.jpeg

Breakdown
Not so much new listened to as just random Music From Memory and Japanese city pop playlists.
I will say that the newest from Lankum is very much worth your time. Katie Gately has a new experimental art pop album that took some time to acclimate to, but very enjoyable and full of twists and turns. The new boygenius is good, not amazing as everyone here seems to think. Kate NV continues to wow (lol) me with her art; really enjoyed Room for the Moon as well.

Week 14 recap

collage (12).jpeg

I'm trying to post the weekly recap on Saturday morning again. I've started a random Collection Playthrough so many of these are vinyl records. Been to the Peter Doherty shows in Cologne and Düsseldorf last weekend, so Babyshambles and Libertines albums are in connection to these. Singer Jack Jones, frontman of Trampolene, was support act and did a very good live show, so I've listened to their new album. Apart from that some Kehlani and Missy Elliott on this foggy morning over here. I'll try to catch up with new releases soon.

Back