Your week in music (last.fm collages...)

Week 8 summary:

2023Week8.jpg

Breakdown
A mixture of the 1001 Album Challenge and some new findings.
The generated albums for the challenge were mostly OK to my tastes, with the CCR record jumping out to me as my clear favorite of the week, everything else didn't get higher than a 3 (really, a 2.5 if half-stars were allowed). Was not pleased with revisiting Linkin Park, it's even worse than I remember.
Still love the RAYE album, in case that wasn't clear. :LOL: As for new albums I tried out this week, the Khotin record was my favorite by a country mile; comfy hybrid of ambient and downtempo with some spoken word samples (Tess Roby even features on a track!). Everything else (Sunny War, Seaming To, Venamoris, Quasi) wasn't gripping me much. Andy Shauf's newest was my least favorite of the week; quite flat and skeletal. I wanted to like the Seaming To album far more considering it is an art pop release, but it sounded unexpectedly spooky, overdramatic, and out of character for the genre.

My week, the majority of which was once again dominated by the 1001 Album Project. I actually expanded from my usual 3x3 to a 4x4 so some of my other listens would be represented. Even with me not getting to listen to much outside the 1001 list this week, the new Paramore is still holding strong in the top spot, as it should.
collage (43) (10).jpeg

collage.php

Ray Price overtook my damn grid. Thats what all the country is, while this was a generator project pick, spotify would randomly play it the last two days when I asked it to play other things and I just went with it, because it is pretty great. GNR is the 33 1/3 podcast. Ethiopiques is the other book. Yoko was pitchfork Sunday (actually really liked this, especially once I knew the context - pretty powerful stuff even through a youtube stream) and Birth of Bop was some Sunday Jazz Listening. Isbell got a lot of time this week too because of the new single.

February:
View attachment 168384
Unsurprisingly, the album generator project is heavy here. My reading is also represented as well as podcast listening (gnr). The new stuff is all spectacular.

Lots of album generator albums for me too, alongside my three favorite albums of 2023 so far, and a few others

February

5007767F-690A-47E9-AEA1-E6C7B1AE3876.jpeg

collage.php

So Thee Sacred Souls gave me a nice birthday present and I have pretty much just listened to that alllllll day. So good. I love the Algiers record, its up there with Young Fathers and Price at this point for the year. Janet was the 33 1/3 podcast. I got my copy of the VMP Merle this week and it has lived on the table. Minutemen enter the chat in Our Band Could Be Your Life. I'm almost done reading the Joy Division 33 1/3, maybe this weekend. Read some Lester Bangs while waiting at the doctor's office and that sparked the Morrison. Def Leppard showed up in my personal generator project this week and is the only representative here. If the Janets combine, Leonard Cohen's The Future which was the sunday Pitchfork review enters the chat. Overall a lot of new music was listened to this week and I really enjoyed listening to music this week. These all got a shit ton of plays.

Week 9 summary:

2023Week9.jpg

Breakdown
Really liking the John Bence record; it was a grower for certain and the dark, moody atmosphere of the ambience within gripped me. Will be moving that one to the 🔥 tier. Chasms' Glimpse of Heaven is a gorgeous ethereal ambient pop record perfect for a skylit/nighttime drive in the city. Also liking the first of Ulthar's double album release, Anthronomicon, with pounding black/death metal aggression and wild riffage. Takashi Kokubo's (小久保隆) newest LP is a marvelous Japanese ambient/new age record, just like he's been doing across his entire career. Also liked (but not quite loved) the newest from Kali Uchis on a listen at work.
A couple of the 1001 Album Challenge selections here as well (MBV, Billie Holiday, Blur, Todd Rundgren). U.S. Girls' newest was an unfortunate lowlight for the week.

Last edited:
My Week:
collage.php

New Willie is so good. I love Harlan and hearing Willie sound like it is the sixties again is outstanding. Let's see what's going on with the rest of this. I'm in the Minutemen chapter of Your Band, so I'm listening to lots of Punk instead of slogging through bad Black Flag anymore, they fell off hard. New Nickel Creek singles expanded again and made the list. Love Sara's vocals on the new track. Hawkins was the next of the artist snippets in How to Listen to Jazz. Obscured became a staple of nap time this week. Spun my lovely orange Waylon a couple of times. Finished the 33 1/3 of Joy Division. Some group called De La that old people like hit Spotify this week.

Week 10 summary:

collage (5).jpeg

Breakdown
Again, trying out the new Kali Uchis and yet I can't seem to love it like some of this forum does. It is good, though. Obviously love that there is more Julia Holter music out in the world, even if this might be the weakest project she's been involved on. Also recommend the wacky new album from Kate NV and the brutally vicious collab between Full of Hell/Primitive Man. BrokenTeeth put out a nice shoegaze/slowcore album that Parannoul fans should find overlap in enjoyment (BrokenTeeth is from South Korea, after all).
Also present are a pair of the 1001 Album Challenge selections (Nirvana and Wilco), and some random album selections at work.

My week
collage (18).jpeg

Invisible Cinema is fun, talked about its farty goodness in the New Music Friday thread. I played Otis while driving my MIL around. I checked out Townes' posthumous album to see if I want to buy it, I don't really need it. It made me want to revisit the first Townes album I ever heard, that I love. Had a meh day so I put on Cat Stevens and James Blake. Phil Cook is always an enjoyable listen, re-played it after hearing a song in my favorite songs playlist. The Bluewerks album is great instrumental background reading/working music. Manchester was pleasant but pretty forgettable.

Back