Your Fave is Problematic

And dammit, the anniversary of 9/11 always reminds me of New York, New York by Ryan Adams since he shot the video for it on September 7th and was across from Manhattan under the Brooklyn Bridge with the Twin Towers in the background the entire time.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgp
I just hope for the day Alice Glass puts out a debut album of her own, I will be the first in line to order it and support her without having to support the dickwad of a leech that terrorized her for years.
It's happening! Slowly but surely. Just premiered:

I always think "Why not just listen and apologize and learn? Why doesn't that cross their mind?" and then I remember that the thought process I'm employing is also one that would never output the thought "Me. I will be the one to speak on behalf of this community without much input from said community and I will do it through a highly commercial enterprise that I stand to profit greatly from."

This whole Sia thing is disappointing, I've enjoyed a great deal of her work but her current Twitter tirade is really making her look awful. The whole situation sucks but this response specifically is just... wow (not my screenshot)
View attachment 75791
I will never understand some folks' impulse, in the face of being told they're wrong, to simply tweet harder.

I always think "Why not just listen and apologize and learn? Why doesn't that cross their mind?" and then I remember that the thought process I'm employing is also one that would never output the thought "Me. I will be the one to speak on behalf of this community without much input from said community and I will do it through a highly commercial enterprise that I stand to profit greatly from."
One of our non-problematic faves laid this all out quite clearly a week ago.

Catching up on the convo about Ryan Adams + Morrissey over in the VMP thread got me thinking but it seems the conversation has largely shifted away from that and so I think it's best to post this here where less people will see it but where it will be more appropriate.

I feel very guilty and ashamed that I still find myself listening to Crystal Castles. I don't put them on nearly as much as I used to these days for obvious reasons, but their first two albums left a huge impact on me and I find it very difficult to cut them out completely. I try to justify it to myself by thinking about how just because one half of the duo is a massive shitbag doesn't mean the other half who deserves the support should be brought down with him. But then I realize Alice herself would probably tell me how full of shit that reasoning is. It's just tough for art that helped shape you to be sullied like that and it just leaves you feeling shitty and stupid for not being able to turn your back on it like you wish you could.

I just hope for the day Alice Glass puts out a debut album of her own, I will be the first in line to order it and support her without having to support the dickwad of a leech that terrorized her for years.
Who would have guessed, more women coming forward to expose the POS creep? ugh. it makes me sick.

One of my favorite bands. Got big in the Cincy scene and beyond as I started going to shows. The first band my wife and I saw together.

I actually had a thought that this would happen after the lead singer of the Griswolds was ousted earlier this year.

This is a disappointment:

Apparently Ariel Pink's already on the record as a Trump supporter; Maus is a bit out of left field for me.

(He is not my fav or even being close to it. Just saw this article and thought I'd share)

I'm glad she and others actually named him this time. From what she's said in the past, I think most had already put 2 + 2 together years ago, but obviously it's empowering in a different way to be able to explicitly name him.

I do not like how this Reply All implosion went down.
Yeah; it feels like we don't quite have the full picture. However, I'm wont to believe the victims first, and (not to diminish what happened), the accusations sound super familiar to the media industry and the way the higher-ups can tend to internalize a clique-y mean-girls attitude towards the lower-downs. It doesn't surprise me that the show was patting itself on the back for promoting POC to producer and on-air roles, while the makeup of the company in less visible areas was pretty whitewashed.

All of this isn't unique to that company or industry, unfortunately. I think the fact that they were doing a multi-part series on a similarly toxic work environment really turned up the heat, since it comes across as severely hypocritical.

Either way, PJ and Sruthi still work for Gimlet, Reply All will still exist (seemingly), and they're basically going to sit and wait for us to forget about this.

It’s just deeply weird to me they’d essentially deep-six their biggest show AND cancel a fascinating miniseries run halfway through not because the series was inaccurate or untruthful, but because the person reporting it has been judged...not enough of an ally?

I dunno, it doesn’t feel right. I am bothered.

Back