Your Fave is Problematic

Picture David Gilmour's face when hearing about this, right after putting out a pink floyd single to support Ukraine, on account of his Ukranian family being affected as well. And then like, 5 minutes later someone's going to call him and go "So....will you ever reunite with Roger Waters to play as Pink Floyd again?" for the 900th time.
looks like David Gilmours wife has strong opinions about waters

For context: it is probably a reply to this interview

Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of Polly Samson's -- I found her influence on Division Bell to be a mixed bag: it's distasteful when a band brings in a nonmember to help with the writing, and that it was the wife of the singer/guitarist/songwriter gives it an extra whiff of bullshit. But, that said, Guilmour certainly wasn't coming up with ideas on his own and her influence on the end product wasn't actually bad per se -- but she's not wrong.

I'm not a huge fan of Polly Samson's -- I found her influence on Division Bell to be a mixed bag: it's distasteful when a band brings in a nonmember to help with the writing, and that it was the wife of the singer/guitarist/songwriter gives it an extra whiff of bullshit. But, that said, Guilmour certainly wasn't coming up with ideas on his own and her influence on the end product wasn't actually bad per se -- but she's not wrong.
What are other distasteful examples of a band bringing in a nonmember to help with writing? Seems like it’s more common than you’d think, especially considering many artists don’t write their lyrics at all.

What’s actually distasteful is Gilmour continuing the record under the Pink Floyd name. Pink Floyd proved that they are more than Roger Waters, sure, but at what cost exactly.

What are other distasteful examples of a band bringing in a nonmember to help with writing? Seems like it’s more common than you’d think, especially considering many artists don’t write their lyrics at all.

I mean, Desmond Child's entire career, but in particular I'm thinking of his work with Aerosmith and Kiss. Which, Kiss was trash to begin with, so making them somehow more schlocky trash is actually kind of impressive.

Did we learn nothing from Tay?

Where's the eject button on this thing called earth?

Its off topic of the thread but i like to understand your point. Would you also include i.e. the grateful dead or Elton John in this

Elton is kind of a strange one in that he’s solo and he sort of worked with Bernie since before he was even a solo artist or even had the name Elton John. From what I gather they both answered an NME advert and began working for Dick James and their first few songs were for other artists until they both fought to record Empty Sky. I’d argue that Bernie is a more fundamental part of “Elton John” than any musician he ever employed.

Its off topic of the thread but i like to understand your point. Would you also include i.e. the grateful dead or Elton John in this
No, because those aren't ringers. Taupin and hunter/Barlow were part and parcel with the artists in question, not just dudes for hire who walked in with a rhyming dictionary and some songs they're willing to sell. Bernie wrote songs with and for Elton. Hunter would give Garcia shit when he didn't write music that he thought was fitting for his lyrics or was being lazy.

"Bon Jovi didn't like this one but I think it's going to work for kiss, check this out". It's not always trash, but it's at best kind of gauche.

Reactions: Jan
No, because those aren't ringers. Taupin and hunter/Barlow were part and parcel with the artists in question, not just dudes for hire who walked in with a rhyming dictionary and some songs they're willing to sell. Bernie wrote songs with and for Elton. Hunter would give Garcia shit when he didn't write music that he thought was fitting for his lyrics or was being lazy.

"Bon Jovi didn't like this one but I think it's going to work for kiss, check this out". It's not always trash, but it's at best kind of gauche.

How about Tony Asher and the Beach Boys. Even allowing for their best album coming out of it.

How about Tony Asher and the Beach Boys. Even allowing for their best album coming out of it.
I will admit that pet sounds aside, I have never really given the beach boys a fair shake and I am wholly unfamiliar with their music outside of the radio hits and pet sounds. I've no idea who tony asher is to them.

I will admit that pet sounds aside, I have never really given the beach boys a fair shake and I am wholly unfamiliar with their music outside of the radio hits and pet sounds. I've no idea who tony asher is to them.

He’s a the lyricist for the majority of Pet Sounds. Brought in by Brian Wilson for that album in an attempt to move away from their prior themes. Not a popular call with all the other members. That said Brian Wilson was well into his maniacal genius doing everything and then just getting the others in to sing their harmonies by then.

He’s a the lyricist for the majority of Pet Sounds. Brought in by Brian Wilson for that album in an attempt to move away from their prior themes. Not a popular call with all the other members. That said Brian Wilson was well into his maniacal genius doing everything and then just getting the others in to sing their harmonies by then.
Eh, I don't like it (and truth to tell, Pet Sounds (and most of the Beach Boys' stuff I'm familiar with) isn't a favorite) -- BB's strength is the music, particularly the harmonies -- but I don't necessarily hate it. From your description it's closer to Polly Samson getting shoehorned into the Floyd's music by Guilmour than Elton/Taupin putting music and words together rather then work for hire like Desmond Child.

Eh, I don't like it (and truth to tell, Pet Sounds (and most of the Beach Boys' stuff I'm familiar with) isn't a favorite) -- BB's strength is the music, particularly the harmonies -- but I don't necessarily hate it. From your description it's closer to Polly Samson getting shoehorned into the Floyd's music by Guilmour than Elton/Taupin putting music and words together rather then work for hire like Desmond Child.

But then it created what is considered to be one of the most seminal and beautiful pieces of art that popular music has created. Creating art isn’t always a simple or easy process.

But then it created what is considered to be one of the most seminal and beautiful pieces of art that popular music has created. Creating art isn’t always a simple or easy process.
that's fair -- and I do like pet sounds (and division bell as i mentioned earlier). it's closer to art by committee than the singular vision of an artist, and i find that kind of tacky and gauche but not without merit.

Did anything happen with the whole Swans and Michael Gira situation? did that get proven or not? It seems like a small bump in the road for them, similar to Pinegrove, where they were lightly "cancelled" and are now back in business.

Did anything happen with the whole Swans and Michael Gira situation? did that get proven or not? It seems like a small bump in the road for them, similar to Pinegrove, where they were lightly "cancelled" and are now back in business.
Sorry, for me (someone not familiar with this music whatsoever) the name is permanently tarnished by Vinyl Junkies using it as a plot point in his short, um, fiction. @Mather remembers.

Back