Your Fave is Problematic

Did anything happen with the whole Swans and Michael Gira situation? did that get proven or not? It seems like a small bump in the road for them, similar to Pinegrove, where they were lightly "cancelled" and are now back in business.

I admit I've not found a lot of primary sources on this, but I don't know what to look for short of trawling though everything that Larkin's been involved in. At any rate, the understanding is that something happened, but that what happened was consensual. I've only heard of this getting corroborated - both Gira and his ex-wife say that Gira came clean about it fairly quickly and that it resulted in the end of the relationship, other people who have worked or been involved closely with Gira say that though he was a megalomaniac when it came to working with him, he never took advantage of women, and that other people who have worked with Grimm have said she has a pattern of making false accusations. And Grimm herself when she originally made the accusation said something about "not wanting to make people feel weird about listening to Gira's work," which is a weird angle to take. Nothing ever went to court, and she doesn't seem to have continued pressing it. So from what I've seen Swans fans have settled into a kind of agnosticism about it. It's obvious that whatever happened wasn't great, after all Gira himself says this, but that it also isn't worth getting hung up on and probably isn't criminal, whether in a legal or moral sense, but also that you can't treat it like it's definitely false, and that the exact nature of it will probably not be verified outside of Gira and Grimm themselves.

Sorry, for me (someone not familiar with this music whatsoever) the name is permanently tarnished by Vinyl Junkies using it as a plot point in his short, um, fiction. @Mather remembers.

Uh, the what? I've only seen a couple of that guy's videos but I haven't the slightest on what he could've possibly said.

Did anything happen with the whole Swans and Michael Gira situation? did that get proven or not? It seems like a small bump in the road for them, similar to Pinegrove, where they were lightly "cancelled" and are now back in business.

Nothing definitive, but here's a recent-ish reddit discussion on the subject:

is probably the most germane and covers the most ground.

Yeah, I'm gonna need some backstory on this one.

Uh, the what? I've only seen a couple of that guy's videos but I haven't the slightest on what he could've possibly said.
When he first showed up in the last days of the old forum I visited his site. The blog section was almost entirely album reviews, with the NOTABLE EXCEPTION of two posts that consisted of what he later called “adult erotic fiction” in response to being mercilessly roasted for it.

It was a two part story about an awkward, shy man who has a sex worker over to his home and forces her to listen to Swans while he undertakes a borderline-assault on her throat and pontificates about the music. It was very weird, and very jarring in the context of a vinyl website, and Swans featured very prominently.

It was almost like the writing prompt was “American Psycho but make it about sex, and add a fedora.”

When he first showed up in the last days of the old forum I visited his site. The blog section was almost entirely album reviews, with the NOTABLE EXCEPTION of two posts that consisted of what he later called “adult erotic fiction” in response to being mercilessly roasted for it.

It was a two part story about an awkward, shy man who has a sex worker over to his home and forces her to listen to Swans while he undertakes a borderline-assault on her throat and pontificates about the music. It was very weird, and very jarring in the context of a vinyl website, and Swans featured very prominently.

It was almost like the writing prompt was “American Psycho but make it about sex, and add a fedora.”
Je. Sus. Christ.

I always knew that guy was a weirdo.

Thanks for the reminder. Could we get a trigger tag?

Je. Sus. Christ.

I always knew that guy was a weirdo.

Thanks for the reminder. Could we get a trigger tag?
The best part was that when we made fun of him, he got mad and called us uncultured swine who don't understand experimental literature or something like that. But then we continued to make fun of him, so he got even more mad and eventually nuked all the blog posts completely.

I wish I'd saved some of the raging DMs I got from him before the forum got shut down.

He wished a great deal of unpleasantness upon me.

Remember his video ranting about the company and forum that launched a massive missile into his business relationship with them. He wasn’t the sharpest tool in the box.

Oh wow. Lots of artists now coming forward explicitly as having separated from Sargent House over the past year or so in relation to conduct by management. Lingua Ignota, Chelsea Wolfe, King Woman, and Mylets included.

Statement from management posted (second image):

Back