Your Fave is Problematic

Someone had to be the example in order to re-examine safety at festivals, seems Travis Scott gets to be Exhibit A.

While sifting through the Target catalog, I was reminded of the whole Lady A debacle. Wondering whatever came of that, I was disappointed to find that the band's marketing/branding decision is still actively thwarting POC artists.

"Due to behavior that is inconsistent with our core values" has to be up there with "thoughts and prayers" as being absolutely meaningless and non-committal.

I can just picture someone looking through the corporate list of core values to confirm "sending unsolicited dick pics" is in fact not on the list.

Person A: I checked and sending dick pics is not on the list of our core values.
Person B: are you sure? did you check to see if the pages are not stuck together?
Person C: I swear I saw something about dick pics, maybe around "shall not be accused of worshiping Satan"

Not necessarily a "fave" but I really liked Kacy Hill's album from a couple years ago so this is disheartening to see. Makes me glad I was lazy and never bothered to listen to her newest one, though.
Screenshot_20220206-152905_Twitter.jpg

Not necessarily a "fave" but I really liked Kacy Hill's album from a couple years ago so this is disheartening to see. Makes me glad I was lazy and never bothered to listen to her newest one, though.
View attachment 127887

I don’t know what any of this means? So I don’t know why it’s bad and stuff. Could you let me know? I like to know what is wrong lol!

I don’t know what any of this means? So I don’t know why it’s bad and stuff. Could you let me know? I like to know what is wrong lol!
It's all just hollow cryptocurrency jargon, not much to make sense of. The main thing is she's supporting NFTs, which is shitty for a myriad of reasons, but the worst part is her stance suggests she's bought into this idea that this NFT bullshit is the way of the future for independent artists to make money. Never mind that just a couple days ago a NFT-based service tried to sell "ownership" of artists entire discographies without their consent, but yeah, NFTs will totally help you build a self-made empire and not get you fucked over when some crypto-bro decides he can profit from the album you put all your hard work into more than you by selling it as a fucking JPG.

I realize this explanation probably illuminated nothing but honestly NFTs and the like don't deserve to take up as much the modern conversation as they do. It's a shitty idea promoted by grifters and gullible people they successfully grift with the promise that it's the next big thing when it's all a scam.

BRB gonna go sell my Kacy Hill vinyl as a NFT for a bajillion dollars and make a collage of her pro-NFT tweets if she tries to complain ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a really good - long, very long - video on the subject: Line Goes Up by Folding Ideas but the the summary is NFTs are the idea that you have a really long number and <some people> have a really long list of entries that only gets longer, that you can't edit previous entries to saaaayyyy reverse fraudulent transactions, that the people who maintain the list don't edit because they've nebulously promised not to - that say that this number is yours. The idea is to make digital objects that are unique in the same way physical objects are but of course not really. With the added ideas of reinventing the financial system - except not really, just putting new dickheads on the ground floor - and making everything digital. Which, why that's a bad idea is literally at the foundation of King Gizzard's whole catalogue, but I digress. Technically what I've just described is at the basis of cryptocurrency as a whole, and NFTs are the Things™️ which aren't supposed to just be currency that the really long numbers I just talked about are a stand-in for and the Things™️ which are moved around on the long list, which in Tech-bro speak is called the Block-chain but the video above refers to as an append-only ledger.

If that sounds stupid and predatory, congratulations you've probably understood it. See: Greater-Fool Theory.

View attachment 127887
If the future of music is not web3 (web3 is not exclusive to NFTs) then the future of music is bleak, because I’m not sure there’s a great alternative as long as streaming services and major labels continue to not compensate fairly. The best option forward has to be drastic and progressive.

If the future of music is not web3 (web3 is not exclusive to NFTs) then the future of music is bleak, because I’m not sure there’s a great alternative as long as streaming services and major labels continue to not compensate fairly. The best option forward has to be drastic and progressive.
Okay, explain it to me like I'm a four year old. What are the benefits of web3?

Back