Your Fave is Problematic

I think I'm going to play a wait and see on this one.

Josh and Brody just went through a VERY messy divorce and Josh had to do some treatment for substance abuse issues. They've since filed dueling restraining orders against each other with each sides accusing the other of some nasty things. Josh's oldest daughter is not a part of this new round of restraining orders, only his two younger sons and they were filed on their behalf by Brody herself. Part of me is wondering if she filed in order to keep her kids from Josh out of spite.

Fucked up situation either way.

I know this thread tends toward "cancel-worthy" behaviors but John Mulaney suddenly feels like an exponentially grosser person than he did a year ago, huh?
I think this is more due to the fact that Mulaney was seen as a buddy buddy be your friend celebrity, and it's now turning out he's like pretty much every other celebrity in terms of behavior. I feel for the guy, after a relapse, a divorce, amd what may have been the hardest year of his life, he's probably not at his decision-making best.

Josh and Brody just went through a VERY messy divorce and Josh had to do some treatment for substance abuse issues. They've since filed dueling restraining orders against each other with each sides accusing the other of some nasty things. Josh's oldest daughter is not a part of this new round of restraining orders, only his two younger sons and they were filed on their behalf by Brody herself. Part of me is wondering if she filed in order to keep her kids from Josh out of spite.

Yep, this is where I'm at whenever I hear someone using child abuse accusations as a way to get more custody. It's really sick if this is a false accusation, because it just erodes trust in child protection offices run by the state. It makes it into a who can pay for more legal battles. When I see things like the Brad and Angelina case where the judge reinstated joint custody--which means that when Angelina used the child abuse card, there was no evidence of child abuse, so she was just using DCFS to try to get full custody. If he gets joint custody back, that means he probably didn't do it.

Does this have to do with the parasocial speculation over the timeline of his divorce and new relationship? Or is there something else?
No, it's that. I'm not particularly invested in the guy, but I know there's plenty of toxic behavior directed at him. My reaction is from the pretty casual distance of someone who has watched his stand-up and enjoys Big Mouth, but is not otherwise a "fan" of John Mulaney. The headlines of the last year started with me thinking "oh yikes, hope he gets better" to "ew what?"

I don't know, maybe 'problematic' isn't even the right word for what's been made public. More of a disappointing peek at a life that looks more chaotic than the public persona he used to put forth.
I think this is more due to the fact that Mulaney was seen as a buddy buddy be your friend celebrity, and it's now turning out he's like pretty much every other celebrity in terms of behavior. I feel for the guy, after a relapse, a divorce, amd what may have been the hardest year of his life, he's probably not at his decision-making best.
Yeah I never even really got that 'buddy' vibe from him. He's good at building the sense that he's quite relatable, then suddenly holding that relatability at a distance and making some withering observations about either himself or the people who are identifying with him. I think my reaction, more than anything about Mulaney himself, is hearing the way other comedians talk about him when they're doing interviews with the likes of Maron or Conan. He's universally hailed by his peers as a prodigy, someone in complete control of his craft. So yeah, maybe it is just the contrast of seeing what looks like a run of the mill celeb trainwreck that feels a bit scummy.

All great comedians give off that buddy vibe initially, then at some point they pull back the curtain, exposing their demons.

The most relatable unproblematic buddy-type comedian is probably Jim Gaffigan. I feel like he kinda made the mold. Though not personally a fan of his comedic style. Mulvaney was probably the closest millennial/X comedian that fit that mold, but not really any longer. Wonder who steps in there?

All great comedians give off that buddy vibe initially, then at some point they pull back the curtain, exposing their demons.

The most relatable unproblematic buddy-type comedian is probably Jim Gaffigan. I feel like he kinda made the mold. Though not personally a fan of his comedic style. Mulvaney was probably the closest millennial/X comedian that fit that mold, but not really any longer. Wonder who steps in there?
Nate Bargatze seems to be in the Gaffigan mold. Doesn't work blue for the most part and is (I think) really funny.

No, it's that. I'm not particularly invested in the guy, but I know there's plenty of toxic behavior directed at him. My reaction is from the pretty casual distance of someone who has watched his stand-up and enjoys Big Mouth, but is not otherwise a "fan" of John Mulaney. The headlines of the last year started with me thinking "oh yikes, hope he gets better" to "ew what?"

I don't know, maybe 'problematic' isn't even the right word for what's been made public. More of a disappointing peek at a life that looks more chaotic than the public persona he used to put forth.

Yeah I never even really got that 'buddy' vibe from him. He's good at building the sense that he's quite relatable, then suddenly holding that relatability at a distance and making some withering observations about either himself or the people who are identifying with him. I think my reaction, more than anything about Mulaney himself, is hearing the way other comedians talk about him when they're doing interviews with the likes of Maron or Conan. He's universally hailed by his peers as a prodigy, someone in complete control of his craft. So yeah, maybe it is just the contrast of seeing what looks like a run of the mill celeb trainwreck that feels a bit scummy.
Yeah, I'd definitely say he's being recontextualized in a lot of people's eyes. He was the youngest head writer for SNL, and his standup persona has been "straight-laced child businessman," so I think there's been this image of squeaky-clean boy genius. Plus, his material is mostly clean, and always upbeat and relatable.

But, frankly, the guy's rich and comes from privilege; as much as one would like to say his early rise and dominance in comedy is purely due to merit, the fact is a lot of doors just opened to the guy based on who his parents were. He just happens to be super talented and, up to this point, managed to not be a total douchebag, and he's easy to root for. I can see how the developments in his personal life have thrown people for a loop, but it's kind of unfair to decide what rehab, divorce, and a whirlwind new relationship has to say about his character.

But, frankly, the guy's rich and comes from privilege; as much as one would like to say his early rise and dominance in comedy is purely due to merit, the fact is a lot of doors just opened to the guy based on who his parents were. He just happens to be super talented and, up to this point, managed to not be a total douchebag, and he's easy to root for. I can see how the developments in his personal life have thrown people for a loop, but it's kind of unfair to decide what rehab, divorce, and a whirlwind new relationship has to say about his character.
Yeah, you raise good points. There's not much room on the internet for the nuance to say "I think this is kind of gross behavior" without that standing in for your opinion of the person overall.

Re: John Mulaney

I've always loved his stuff. He's one of the best stand ups, did great work with Nick Kroll on the Oh Hello broadway show, had some of the best SNL sketches, and always seemed so genuine in interviews. To me he represented someone who was happily living a sober life, with a stable, normal relationship with his wife and dog. It just seemed so normal. I don't fault him at all for relapsing, but the ensuing months have definitely been weird. I won't try to comment on someone's personal situation as I don't know the ins and outs at all. But it certainly does make me see him as weirdly less stable than before he relapsed. It just seems...out of character.

So apparently his daughter DID file one, which was granted. The ones from his sons were denied.

So apparently his daughter DID file one, which was granted. The ones from his sons were denied.

Again, this is a standard tactic in high conflict custody, especially if there is parental alienation happening--which it sounds like there is. Having seen the effect of what parental alienation does to a child first hand, having a kid file a restraining order against her parent if there is no abuse happening, is a form of child abuse that psychologists have yet to properly address, but it messes a kid up for the rest of their lives. Often times, these kids have difficult time forming lasting relationships. Small studies of alienated individuals show that about half of all alienated children also end up alienated from their children because they often choose partners similar to the parent that alienated them from their other parent (these parents tend to have one of a host of personality disorders and the child, having dealt with a parent with a personality disorder, finds this relationship comforting in a way, even though it is almost always abusive). Some of these children also have a personality disorder and end up alienating their children from a parent, so it usually goes that either the person that was alienated becomes the alienator/abuser or they become a victim all over again. It's really a sad situation.

Why I still question all of this is because the judge threw out the orders for the other two kids--so the judge didn't think he was dangerous enough to remove a 10 and a 5 year old, but he is allowing the 15 y/o to speak in court. Often times, a judge will ask teens what parent they want to be with, so my guess is that the judge is going to hear out the 15 y/o, and decide whether a change of custody is warranted.

Here's what Josh Homme filed:

If you get down to 8, you get the real good stuff. Here Homme claims that Brody hired armed guards and told the kids that it was "in case daddy comes back" because she wanted the kids to fear their father. Then she told the kids that Homme gave them Covid-19, too. He finally filed when she removed them from school, fled the district-so she couldn't be summoned to court (the judge could ask for a bench warrant), and refuses all contact/visitation. Classic high conflict parental alienation.

The Posies were always a band that I thought I'd like but never got around to checking out. Looks like I don't have to do that anymore

Back