Your Fave is Problematic

Okay, explain it to me like I'm a four year old. What are the benefits of web3?
I think the idea is based in trying to get the wealth back into the people’s hands. When billionaires wealth increased 62 percent during the pandemic you know something’s not right with the current system. Future generations, especially with automation, will be forced to take unorthodox approaches to making a living. So, essentially what they’re doing is decentralizing utilities and transactions so they’re not solely controlled by centralized organizations.

It’s the people taking the power back, because we’re too far gone to get it back with the current system.

I think the idea is based in trying to get the wealth back into the people’s hands. When billionaires wealth increased 62 percent during the pandemic you know something’s not right with the current system. Future generations, especially with automation, will be forced to take unorthodox approaches to making a living. So, essentially what they’re doing is decentralizing utilities and transactions so they’re not solely controlled by centralized organizations.

It’s the people taking the power back, because we’re too far gone to get it back with the current system.
My only thing is I honestly don't believe cryptocurrency is the way to go about giving people the power. Rich celebrities wouldn't be such big proponents of it if it was.

To be honest, I don't know enough about crypto to make solid judgments, all I can say is everything I've heard and seen about it makes me averse to it. And so far I've not seen any good explanations for how it's going to achieve everything the people who swear by it say it will. From my perspective, it looks like a corrupt scheme and a system that is built to fail. I'm not going to tell people what they should or shouldn't invest in, it's their money to do whatever they want with, but I can say for me, I'm not in a place where I can support it.

My only thing is I honestly don't believe cryptocurrency is the way to go about giving people the power. Rich celebrities wouldn't be such big proponents of it if it was.
The rich aren’t going to sit idly by while there’s more opportunities to get richer. In this particular instance it’ll just be a little bit more level playing field. Like anything it takes time, but those getting in now are making money. Whether it can support a full blown economic system in the future remains to be seen.

To be honest, I don't know enough about crypto to make solid judgments, all I can say is everything I've heard and seen about it makes me averse to it. And so far I've not seen any good explanations for how it's going to achieve everything the people who swear by it say it will. From my perspective, it looks like a corrupt scheme and a system that is built to fail. I'm not going to tell people what they should or shouldn't invest in, it's their money to do whatever they want with, but I can say for me, I'm not in a place where I can support it.
Like anything financial, no one should ever put it anything that they can’t afford to lose. The stock market has proven returns and works because people have confidence in it. Same with the world economy. Both of these things are just kind of made up.

The more confidence that goes into web3 (which will come with its detractors and people trying to bring it down in their best interest) the more likelihood it will succeed in some capacity.

Like anything financial, no one should ever put it anything that they can’t afford to lose. The stock market has proven returns and works because people have confidence in it. Same with the world economy. Both of these things are just kind of made up.

The more confidence that goes into web3 (which will come with its detractors and people trying to bring it down in their best interest) the more likelihood it will succeed in some capacity.
Honestly, I can respect that there are people who want to forge this new path to the future, I just disagree with their methods. I'm not going to go on a screed about how crypto is awful and anyone who uses it is the devil, because I'm really not informed enough and don't care enough about it right now to make that call. If I'm eating my words in 2048 and the entire world runs on web3, then so be it, but I'm still not sold.

It’s an environmental disaster zone.
Is that not true of anything server/computing intensive? Cloud data/storage, streaming, etc?

Not saying what you're saying isn't true but is it to a greater degree than other techs (that's a real question - not rhetorical - I don't know the answer)?

There's a lot of reasons to like or dislike a lot of things. Best to have the premises that lead to that conclusion.

Is that not true of anything server/computing intensive? Cloud data/storage, streaming, etc?

Not saying what you're saying isn't true but is it to a greater degree than other techs (that's a real question - not rhetorical - I don't know the answer)?

There's a lot of reasons to like or dislike a lot of things. Best to have the premises that lead to that conclusion.

Yes and no. It’s the same issue but, for example, there are stories of corporations in Australia buying decommissioned coal power plants solely to fuel their mining operations. That’s worrying. It’s independent status, seen as a positive by so many, does lead to genuine worries in respect of criminal transactions and money laundering.

There are huge questions about cloud data storage that backs up so much of our current computing and content experience that poses potentially disastrous environmental problems.

Where does your basis for disagreement come from without information?

I think NFTs are silly but I don't lump crypto with it (it's another branch on that Blockchain tree)
I guess I should say, I don't really know how NFTs work, but I've seen enough of their impact (environmental concerns, artists having no say over having their work used for them, etc) to make me feel uneasy about the whole thing. As for conflating crypto with NFTs, it's probably an ignorant stance, but to an outsider like me, the worst parts of NFTs have helped soil the idea of cryptocurrency in general, because the two are intertwined and the type of person whose willing to promote one is likely to promote the other.

Though I have to reiterate that posting in this thread is probably the most thought I've given to crypto affairs since it entered the public consciousness. I'm not an investor or someone who has any real interest in it, so I'm mostly content to let the people who want to deal with crypto do their thing and let it play out as it will. I don't like NFTs or what they represent, and though people are free to make them as they wish, I'm free to not support those artists as well.

While I said I didn't intend to get embroiled, consider, if you will, that Cryptocurrency has not replaced any of our existing systems for which we use servers at all.

In fact, going a step further: the very thing that makes crypto "valuable" is that it takes a very long time to compute, that transactions are resource-intensive in the first place. You can make digital fiat currencies more resource-efficient since they don't need anthing more than the simple calculation of whether someone's over-drafted.

But going off the narrow focus of resource intensiveness, it also means that with crypto, people who can afford to pay for more computing time and the infrastructure to do it with get more benefits. The rich get richer by design. At least with fiat currency you have to be selling something someone wants to buy. With crypto, the currency itself is in a sense more valuable than anything you could buy with it.

It's kind of incredible that in 2022 an actor like Ezra Miller, who has largely been a high end supporting actor, has this much of a professional leash. They probably should've gotten a ton more negative attention for their assault in 2020 (professionally fortunate it happened like...a month into COVID in U.S. time), and they should be getting a lot more attention to this.

It’s infuriating when you think of how many steps and gatekeepers Louis CK’s Grammy nomination and subsequent win had to go through without anyone questioning the morals, let alone the optics, of awarding an unrepentant sex pest.

There's probably a lot of factors behind the CK nomination and win, but I suspect there's a combination of Grammy rules not allowing for mass voting on all categories, the death of the comedy album as a medium (none of those five nominees beside Bergatze are on any kind of cutting edge of good comedy in 2021 IMO), and likely a small subset of voters looking to make a point. Still a bad look.

Not a fave by any means, but this is still repugnant and I don't know where else to talk about it. Yeah, sure, seeing a slap on live television is "traumatizing" but making light of a tragedy where someone lost their life? No issues with that! And I love the wording here of not "being able to say" any of it like censorship of potentially offensive material is the problem and not the fact that it's an aggressively unfunny and insensitive joke about a very real issue (a disregard of safety on film sets). When I made my status post the other day, this is the kind of shit I was talking about. I know it's probably a small thing all things considered but this still bothers me and I feel like it's emblematic of a bigger issue with all of this. How someone could have the gall to go on moral tirades about how "violence is never the answer" only to turn around and be this blatantly cruel is pure hypocrisy and just fuels my suspicion that Hollywood only cares about this kind of shit when they actually have to see it happen themselves.

Not a fave by any means, but this is still repugnant and I don't know where else to talk about it. Yeah, sure, seeing a slap on live television is "traumatizing" but making light of a tragedy where someone lost their life? No issues with that! And I love the wording here of not "being able to say" any of it like censorship of potentially offensive material is the problem and not the fact that it's an aggressively unfunny and insensitive joke about a very real issue (a disregard of safety on film sets). When I made my status post the other day, this is the kind of shit I was talking about. I know it's probably a small thing all things considered but this still bothers me and I feel like it's emblematic of a bigger issue with all of this. How someone could have the gall to go on moral tirades about how "violence is never the answer" only to turn around and be this blatantly cruel is pure hypocrisy and just fuels my suspicion that Hollywood only cares about this kind of shit when they actually have to see it happen themselves.

Also a poor comparison. She could’ve definitely still said the joke, and I doubt the show runners would have pulled her entirely, but rather never asked her back again.

Amy Schumer’s most relevant role is Chuck Schumer’s niece. That is why she was “discovered” and why she continues to get gigs. She has always come across as crass and unoriginal to me.

Back