Wilco (The Thread)

I really like how cohesive this album is. The military drums persist damn near the whole record and it just gives off a really consistent, overarching tone without (somehow) being repetitive.

Reminds me of the consistent "between radio stations" noises throughout YHF.

Pink Ode to Joy received.... and it's incredibly warped. :(

Was trying to wait to have my first listen on vinyl, but may just have to break down and stream it now!

Saw the boys last night and it was hard to believe it was the first night of the tour from how tight they sounded. It was at a large outdoor amphitheatre by the lake and the weather was perfect. Encore finished with "The Late Greats" so I was well pleased.
Outdoor Wilco is the best Wilco, this is canon:

Outdoor Wilco is the best Wilco, this is canon:

Was at the Brooklyn Steel show last night.
Indoor & Experimental Wilco may be a very close second to Outdoor Wilco.

Killed it with the 4 song finale: Red-Eyed & Blue, I Got You (At the End of The Century), Outtaside (Outta Mind), I'm A Wheel.

Was at the Brooklyn Steel show last night.
Indoor & Experimental Wilco may be a very close second to Outdoor Wilco.

Killed it with the 4 song finale: Red-Eyed & Blue, I Got You (At the End of The Century), Outtaside (Outta Mind), I'm A Wheel.

So jealous you got to go to the Brooklyn Steel show. I love that venue. Saw them at Radio City on Saturday which was awesome but the day after I bought the tix for Radio City they had announced the BK Steel show and I wished I had seen them there instead.

So jealous you got to go to the Brooklyn Steel show. I love that venue. Saw them at Radio City on Saturday which was awesome but the day after I bought the tix for Radio City they had announced the BK Steel show and I wished I had seen them there instead.
You got "Reservations" and "Bull Black Nova"... a couple of my all time favorites, but Red-Eyed & Blue and I'm A Wheel were real treats.
The small club-show vibe also made it a great night.

You got "Reservations" and "Bull Black Nova"... a couple of my all time favorites, but Red-Eyed & Blue and I'm A Wheel were real treats.
The small club-show vibe also made it a great night.
Yea--the setlist was great at Radio City. They played most of the songs I wanted to hear. But I just love Brooklyn Steel as a venue and it's way closer to where I live haha.

I was at Brooklyn Steel last night. Tweedy cracked jokes about the crowd at Radio City not seeming to be into it on Saturday. His humor is so dry and deadpan he could have been joking, but the smaller club vibe (well, small for Wilco) was great. Really spectacular show, I'm still buzzing from it.

I was at Brooklyn Steel last night. Tweedy cracked jokes about the crowd at Radio City not seeming to be into it on Saturday. His humor is so dry and deadpan he could have been joking, but the smaller club vibe (well, small for Wilco) was great. Really spectacular show, I'm still buzzing from it.
Radio City is a weird venue hah. It's really huge but it didn't really get THAT loud from a crowd perspective. Seemed to me that most of the crowd wasn't as familiar with the last few albums because any time they played a newer song, people seemed to go for bathroom breaks haha. I would have preferred to see them at Brooklyn Steel but it was still a great show at Radio City.

Radio City is a weird venue hah. It's really huge but it didn't really get THAT loud from a crowd perspective. Seemed to me that most of the crowd wasn't as familiar with the last few albums because any time they played a newer song, people seemed to go for bathroom breaks haha. I would have preferred to see them at Brooklyn Steel but it was still a great show at Radio City.
I think it's less about a lack of familiarity and more about the last two records being overwhelmingly downbeat and soft, and the shows have followed suit. I saw them at the Beacon for the Schmilco tour and it was the same story in a smaller theater. "Random Name Generator" was I think the only song from Star Wars that they played at Radio City the other night, and that did just fine because it's a rocker. If Tweedy wants the crowd to be "into it" he needs to get that '65 Gibson SG out a little more often.

I think it's less about a lack of familiarity and more about the last two records being overwhelmingly downbeat and soft, and the shows have followed suit. I saw them at the Beacon for the Schmilco tour and it was the same story in a smaller theater. "Random Name Generator" was I think the only song from Star Wars that they played at Radio City the other night, and that did just fine because it's a rocker. If Tweedy wants the crowd to be "into it" he needs to get that '65 Gibson SG out a little more often.

That’s the only thing I’m worried about. I’m seeing them in 3 weeks but am not really into their 2010s output. Last time I saw Wilco was in Montreal during The Whole Love tour and it was mind-blowing (even though I didn’t care for that album all that much, either). We shall see!

That’s the only thing I’m worried about. I’m seeing them in 3 weeks but am not really into their 2010s output. Last time I saw Wilco was in Montreal during The Whole Love tour and it was mind-blowing (even though I didn’t care for that album all that much, either). We shall see!
What is going on with the disrespect for The Whole Love in this thread? It is a top-5 Wilco record.

The shows generally reflect the album they're touring on, so the extent to which you like the new record is probably going to correlate with how much you like the show. I saw them in NYC theaters on the last three tours: Star Wars (Kings Theatre, 3,000 capacity), Schmilco (Beacon Theatre, 2,894 capacity), Ode to Joy (Radio City Music Hall, 6,015 capacity). The Kings Theatre show (where they played the entire new album front to back!) was easily the best show of the three, because the material on that record lends itself better (in my opinion) to a live rock show. There are probably people who dig a Schmilco-style show more than I do, and that's cool, and I'm fine with it if that's the kind of show the band wants to put on. But I don't really have time for Tweedy criticizing the crowd for not rocking out to a show that opens with the "Bright Leaves" and "Before Us", which whether you like those songs or not you have to admit are real snoozers in a live show.

What is going on with the disrespect for The Whole Love in this thread? It is a top-5 Wilco record.

The shows generally reflect the album they're touring on, so the extent to which you like the new record is probably going to correlate with how much you like the show. I saw them in NYC theaters on the last three tours: Star Wars (Kings Theatre, 3,000 capacity), Schmilco (Beacon Theatre, 2,894 capacity), Ode to Joy (Radio City Music Hall, 6,015 capacity). The Kings Theatre show (where they played the entire new album front to back!) was easily the best show of the three, because the material on that record lends itself better (in my opinion) to a live rock show. There are probably people who dig a Schmilco-style show more than I do, and that's cool, and I'm fine with it if that's the kind of show the band wants to put on. But I don't really have time for Tweedy criticizing the crowd for not rocking out to a show that opens with the "Bright Leaves" and "Before Us", which whether you like those songs or not you have to admit are real snoozers in a live show.

My issue with The Whole Love is that it opens with one of my favorite Wilco songs ever... but then the rest of the album heads into a completely different direction. I don’t dislike it, but I do rank it below the Being There through Sky Blue Sky stretch of their discography. And even though I wasn’t super into it at the time of its release, the live show was amazing (except for when they played that 12-minute song that closes the album. That was basically a mandatory beer break that I somehow didn’t get the memo for).

I heard the new album sounds good live. Fingers crossed!

"Bright Leaves" and "Before Us", which whether you like those songs or not you have to admit are real snoozers in a live show.

These are not rockers by any stretch...but there's some layers in those that translate well to a live show. Maybe being close to the action, so you could get a good view of what Cline, Sansone and Jorgenson are contributing to the texture of the song helped that out.

Also: give me a set list full of these, which could be classified Snoozers too, and I wont Complain: "Dash 7", "Was I In Your Dreams", "The Lonely 1", "Shes A Jar", "Reservations", "Everlasting Everything", and "Normal American Kids",

These are not rockers by any stretch...but there's some layers in those that translate well to a live show. Maybe being close to the action, so you could get a good view of what Cline, Sansone and Jorgenson are contributing to the texture of the song helped that out.

Also: give me a set list full of these, which could be classified Snoozers too, and I wont Complain: "Dash 7", "Was I In Your Dreams", "The Lonely 1", "Shes A Jar", "Reservations", "Everlasting Everything", and "Normal American Kids",
Okay but if you open your rock show with two of those, I don’t want to hear you on stage the next night bitching about how the crowd in your 6K seat theater wasn’t “into it”.

Back