Wilco (The Thread)

Okay but if you open your rock show with two of those, I don’t want to hear you on stage the next night bitching about how the crowd in your 6K seat theater wasn’t “into it”.

Only in the Wilco thread is the idea that Wilco is a Rock and Roll act, an objective fact.
I agree with that...but I just want to comment on how refreshing it is to experience.

I was at the Brooklyn show and took it as good-natured pandering to the Brooklyn crowd.

Radio City Music Hall is a pretty auspicious venue. It lends itself to a more austere event...and its Manhattan. Brooklyn Steel is a bearded Greenpoint hipster’s wet dream. I read it as Tweedy riling up the Brooklyn crew for an evening of more experimental explorations of the Wilco catalog.

Okay but if you open your rock show with two of those, I don’t want to hear you on stage the next night bitching about how the crowd in your 6K seat theater wasn’t “into it”.
Only in the Wilco thread is the idea that Wilco is a Rock and Roll act, an objective fact.
I agree with that...but I just want to comment on how refreshing it is to experience.

I was at the Brooklyn show and took it as good-natured pandering to the Brooklyn crowd.

Radio City Music Hall is a pretty auspicious venue. It lends itself to a more austere event...and its Manhattan. Brooklyn Steel is a bearded Greenpoint hipster’s wet dream. I read it as Tweedy riling up the Brooklyn crew for an evening of more experimental explorations of the Wilco catalog.

Yeah, my comment about him deadpan joking about Radio City crowd not being "into it" was not him bitching at all, it's exactly what @The Commish describes in the reply. "Good-natured pandering" is a perfect way to describe it.

Saw Wilco last night almost 24 years to the day since my first time seeing them.....as an opener.

Pretty great. It's been fun experiencing their sonic evolution on stage over the decades. There are many things this lineup allows that likely weren't possible before. At the same time, the sense of unbridled, giddy joy that you got from Jay Bennett and the rest of the originals seems lost a bit. But hey - that was 24 years ago. Just because I'm as immature and goofy as I was in 1995 doesn't mean Wilco is.

The setlist from last night and a couple songs from my recording. Please support Wilco by buying their music and merchandise and attending their shows. They support tapers and free sharing of their live shows. Enjoy and pass it on.

20191017_221349.jpg

Handshake Drugs

Via Chicago

Saw Wilco last night almost 24 years to the day since my first time seeing them.....as an opener.

Pretty great. It's been fun experiencing their sonic evolution on stage over the decades. There are many things this lineup allows that likely weren't possible before. At the same time, the sense of unbridled, giddy joy that you got from Jay Bennett and the rest of the originals seems lost a bit. But hey - that was 24 years ago. Just because I'm as immature and goofy as I was in 1995 doesn't mean Wilco is.

The setlist from last night and a couple songs from my recording. Please support Wilco by buying their music and merchandise and attending their shows. They support tapers and free sharing of their live shows. Enjoy and pass it on.

View attachment 20043

Handshake Drugs

Via Chicago

What’s your taping setup?

What’s your taping setup?

For this particular show, it was about as rudimentary as it gets, and I did pretty much everything I could do to sabotage it.

It was my first trip to this venue. We ended up parking quite a ways away. I had all of my gear with me but didn't want to hike back to the car if I was turned away. I left the big stuff behind and condensed down to a pair of Audio-Technica AT 853 cardioid mics and a Roland R-05 recorder.

Once inside I looked at all my options. I was sitting on the lawn. Sounded good but there was a significant uptick in sound quality about 50 feet closer at the break between reserved seats and general admission lawn. The soundboard had an open air cage around it made for a cover that was removed for the night show. Walked down during the opener to see if there was a spot I could set up but was shooed away by security.

During the break I got to talk to Wilco's soundman and he gave me the OK to set up at the soundboard. I had a small pack with my gear and laid it on the soundboard. Eyeballed my mics to a DIN configuration. Guessed at the level, hit record and went back up the hill to my chair and IPA.

Here's where my incompetence comes in. First off, I left my windscreens in my main taping bag. Some rain had come thru earlier in the day and , naturally, the wind kicked up a bit as the show went on. I have some wind noise at times on this recording I need to go back and work on. You can hear some during Nels' first guitar break on 'Handshake Drugs'. Not overpowering but there nonetheless. The other thing I did was set my record level too low so there's a bit of background hiss I could have avoided. The first band was loud and I actually worried during Wilco's set that my levels were too hot. Nope. Too low. Even with all that, it's pretty listenable.

This is where I have to remember my taping motto - the only truly bad recording is the one that isn't made. Everything I record is for free sharing. The only reason I do this is to help spread the word about the band, increase the sales of their music and merchandise and for my own enjoyment.

I hope you're asking about this because you tape. Tapers, those that actually invest in some equipment and put in some work to capture a nice recording as opposed to holding a phone in the air for half a song and throwing it on YouTube, are an endangered species. It's always nice to run across someone keeping it alive.

I had a more extensive thread on the old board but migrated a couple things here. If you tape please join in.

Live Music Is Better.

Last edited:
me and the lady saw them on Saturday on Night 1 in austin.

It was very fun and I was so happy they played Company in my Back. Pretty disappointed in that nights tour poster though, not a cat guy

naeq5tox7g041.jpg

What a great poster.

New Warm/Warmer variant up on the website:

Seems like a strange colour choice -- doesn't really fit the colour in my head -- but I don't really want to miss out on this again. Thanks for posting.

Seems like a strange colour choice -- doesn't really fit the colour in my head -- but I don't really want to miss out on this again. Thanks for posting.
It's been done.

It's been done.

Heh, that's exactly where my mind went, too. If I didn't spin that Z all the time it wouldn't be so weird for me.

You bet. I had neglected to pick up thus far so copped this one. (y)
SAME HERE.

Back