Wilco (The Thread)

Listened to The Whole Love for the first time in quite a while tonight - I forget how many songs I love from that album... very nostalgic for me as well. Also love how on Side D of the vinyl version we get the full One Sunday Morning and that sweet bonus track.

I did the same exact thing earlier this week and had the same exact feelings. It really is a great album. I had completely forgotten about that bonus track too.

I did the same exact thing earlier this week and had the same exact feelings. It really is a great album. I had completely forgotten about that bonus track too.

I should revisit that album. I love the first track but the rest of the album never grabbed me.

I've also basically ignored Star Wars and Schmilco. I just got tickets to see them in November so that's a good excuse to listen them (basically everything since Wilco (the Album)).

The Whole Love was my first Wilco album! I couldn't believe it when I got deeper into them and I discovered how little people liked that record. I think it's fantastic.
Yeah, it's just bizarre to me how passionately some people *seem* to hate on later Wilco... It's solid sounds!

I should revisit that album. I love the first track but the rest of the album never grabbed me.

I've also basically ignored Star Wars and Schmilco. I just got tickets to see them in November so that's a good excuse to listen them (basically everything since Wilco (the Album)).

Star Wars and Schmilco are both excellent.

I'll be seeing them in November as well and plan on bringing my 7 year old son. You have to start them early.

The Whole Love was my first Wilco album! I couldn't believe it when I got deeper into them and I discovered how little people liked that record. I think it's fantastic.
You might find this interesting:

But Wilco is kind of like Radiohead, there really aren’t any bad albums.

You might find this interesting:

But Wilco is kind of like Radiohead, there really aren’t any bad albums.
Oh definitely, not denying that I might be biased about it. But I do think it's an objectively great album, after listening close to *checks* 100 times.

Also, what do we all think of Warmer? I'm on my second listen now and I quite like it. Nothing so far from it--or even Warm, for that matter, which I've listened to quite a bit--really stands out too much to me but I think they're pretty solid.

Oh definitely, not denying that I might be biased about it. But I do think it's an objectively great album, after listening close to *checks* 100 times.

Also, what do we all think of Warmer? I'm on my second listen now and I quite like it. Nothing so far from it--or even Warm, for that matter, which I've listened to quite a bit--really stands out too much to me but I think they're pretty solid.
I haven’t listened to Warmer yet. I think Warm was the best thing he’d been involved with in a while but it’s no Being There or Summerteeth. (Those are my go tos, I’m also really fond of Anodyne and Down With Wilco)

Just finished my first deep listen. I really like this one. Quite a bit I think.

I feel like people are trying to lump it with Schmilco in terms of sound. Acoustic guitar may be the primary instrument on both albums but Ode to Joy has a whole hell of a lot more going on musically.

You can listen to it as background music but I don't recommend it. This is music to focus on and step into. Lot of powerful moments, especially on Before Us and the closing track.

We Were Lucky is awesome (the live version is going to give Impossible Germany something to think about).

Well anyways.

Got my pink vinyl copy today, but I haven't had any time to listen to it. I've barely heard the singles, so I'm going in fresh. But it'll have to wait till tomorrow. All the positive reactions and reviews give me some hope. I actually like Schmilco quite a bit, though it didn't feel like much of a Wilco album. Star Wars was okay, but I almost never go back to it. The Jeff Tweedy solo albums though are great. Anyway...really looking forward to this one.

So I got my pink copy and downloaded the album. Listened to it pretty much exclusively today.

On the pink vinyl: I have the pink Schmilco release too. Where that was a pretty straight forward bubblegum pink, the Ode To Joy I received appears to have some mild black/grey swirls within the Pink. Its a less garish color variant than the Schmilco. Not a complaint - just an observation.

On the Vinyl Tracklist vs. The download: When I added the digital album to my iTunes/Iphone, the digital tracklist has no numbers (almost every other album I have has the track number embedded). This results in the default digital tracklist being in alphabetical order, and not the same as the tracklist pressed into the vinyl. I wonder if that was a purposeful choice, which I can totally see Tweedy and the boys choosing to do, or just an oversight when the digital album files were sent out. Again - not a complaint just an observation.

Finally, on the work itself: the more I listened to it the more layers I was able to hear. This, IMO, is not the stark album some early reviews (looking at you here NPR) led me to expect. Very layered in a compelling way. Beyond the trilling guitar run on Love is Everywhere (Beware), I'm most interested in seeing Quiet Amplifier performed live. Bull Black Nova is one of my all time favorites and Quiet Amplifier strikes me as kind of the shy little brother to Bull Black Nova.

I feel like people are trying to lump it with Schmilco in terms of sound. Acoustic guitar may be the primary instrument on both albums but Ode to Joy has a whole hell of a lot more going on musically.
“Hey Wilco Fan, between Star Wars and Schmilo, which one did you like less? This one is going to sound like that to you.”

Two and a half times though and I don’t think I like this one. Like, it might be going all the way to the bottom of the list.

“Hey Wilco Fan, between Star Wars and Schmilo, which one did you like less? This one is going to sound like that to you.”

Two and a half times though and I don’t think I like this one. Like, it might be going all the way to the bottom of the list.

I think The Whole Love has that spot nailed down in perpetuity.

So I spun my copy today, only once so far, so it's hard to have an idea on my feelings on it. I do know this will reveal itself more over time. There are layers here to explore, and although I can hear that with one listen, it's something that's sure to stand out even more with more listens. So far, I think the weirdly uniform consensus from critics that this is sorta similar to YHF is misleading. For the most part, it sounds like what Wilco and Jeff Tweedy solo have been doing in recent years. Although, there are more dynamics here, that I will agree on.Yet it still doesn't quite as full-band-y as YHF or AGIB. Though again, this is one listen. So I am open to my mind changing. I like it, didn't full connect with everything. But most of the way through my big thought was: man, this is going to sound great in winter.

Quiet Amplifier is an early favorite for sure.

I think The Whole Love has that spot nailed down in perpetuity.

nuh uh, i'd take that over their debut, this one, the previous two, sky blue sky, and wilco (the album)

this new one is...okay

three listens in so far and it's...fine, i guess

they really have settled into consistent mid-career mid-tempo mediocrity

yankee hotel foxtrot > summerteeth > being there > a ghost is born > the whole love > sky blue sky > star wars > am > ode to joy > schmilco > wilco (the album)

So I spun my copy today, only once so far, so it's hard to have an idea on my feelings on it. I do know this will reveal itself more over time. There are layers here to explore, and although I can hear that with one listen, it's something that's sure to stand out even more with more listens. So far, I think the weirdly uniform consensus from critics that this is sorta similar to YHF is misleading. For the most part, it sounds like what Wilco and Jeff Tweedy solo have been doing in recent years. Although, there are more dynamics here, that I will agree on.Yet it still doesn't quite as full-band-y as YHF or AGIB. Though again, this is one listen. So I am open to my mind changing. I like it, didn't full connect with everything. But most of the way through my big thought was: man, this is going to sound great in winter.

Quiet Amplifier is an early favorite for sure.

Agree with all of this. It's absolutely a headphone record. A quiet album that sounds REALLY good loud.

Back