Wilco (The Thread)

I thought OTJ was a moody record. It did make more sense once I saw the songs live but overall I found it less inspired than CC or Star Wars (my two favorite post-SBS albums).

I really enjoyed finally spinning CC on vinyl. It actually made much more sense as a physical double album; it felt like a long, rambling playlist on a streaming service. I’m not ready to anoint it as a “top 5 Wilco album” but I wouldn’t be surprised if it ages really well and ends up there in a few years.

I thought OTJ was a moody record. It did make more sense once I saw the songs live but overall I found it less inspired than CC or Star Wars (my two favorite post-SBS albums).

I really enjoyed finally spinning CC on vinyl. It actually made much more sense as a physical double album; it felt like a long, rambling playlist on a streaming service. I’m not ready to anoint it as a “top 5 Wilco album” but I wouldn’t be surprised if it ages really well and ends up there in a few years.

It the guitar trill on Love is Everywhere that, for me, seals the deal on OTJ being a standout.

On CC, there's the slow jam section that starts about 4 min in on Many Worlds and the 3 minute interlude on Bird Without a Tail/Base of My Skull that starts at about the 2 minute mark that works to pick up the musical standout mantle - but those are buried in the middle of the (also excellent) songs.

LIE starts with that incredibly catchy and joyous musical flourish and carries it across what is a otherwise somewhat of a slow burner of a song to shift the whole experience of the song. Once the song gets going, it hits like an Eddie Van Halen/Kirk Hammett lick that punctuates the emotional peak of the song and moves it into something special.

I just I continually find my self coming back to it again and again.

I agree - I never really connected with this one via streaming, but enjoyed it much more as a Sunday morning spin last weekend.

Cross-post for Tweedy Completists:

View attachment 168504

The first track off this is so damn good.

I'd love to go some year but can't swing this one unfortunately. Pretty into Morby, and would be into a few artists here. Oh well, all good! Plus, I'm probably going to the MMJ show in upstate New York this summer they announced today, timing couldn't work out better really. Have only seen them once, in 2013!

We're debating. We had such a great time last year.
Last year's lineup was also great! Looked like a ton of fun.

I'd love to go some year but can't swing this one unfortunately. Pretty into Morby, and would be into a few artists here. Oh well, all good! Plus, I'm probably going to the MMJ show in upstate New York this summer they announced today, timing couldn't work out better really. Have only seen them once, in 2013!

Last year's lineup was also great! Looked like a ton of fun.
Yeah, it's a big if for us. I really think the lineup is a little better than last time. Wish it was still in January though.

MMJ just announced out here, but not sure I'll go. Saw them a couple years ago, and already have a couple shows around that same time.

Last night was my favorite Wilco set I’ve seen in a really long time. Band was loose, set was very much up my alley, and Chris Kattan got engaged mid show before “I’m the Man Who Loves You”

Horsegirl was great to open as well. Love when they do these kinds of residencies. Always special shows

Last night was my favorite Wilco set I’ve seen in a really long time. Band was loose, set was very much up my alley, and Chris Kattan got engaged mid show before “I’m the Man Who Loves You”

Horsegirl was great to open as well. Love when they do these kinds of residencies. Always special shows
I caught the Sunday show! Fantastic as always. Opened with a 1-2 punch of “At Least That’s What You Said” and “Spiders (Kidsmoke)”!

Back