Wilco (The Thread)

Sticky pudding me, under normal circumstances I'd be all over that but I'll have a 2-month-old at that time. What a fantastic lineup. Wilco and Spoon are two of my all-time faves, and then Kurt Vile, Malkmus, Nubya Garcia and Waxahatchee on top of that? Ah fate.

Edit: this is the best festival lineup out of all festivals I've seen announced this year (in related news, I'm a 37-year-old bearded cisgender dad). Damn it all.

Last edited:
Amazing lineup. Don't sleep on Tank & the Bangas either. Such a great live show. Wouldn't be surprised if Morby makes an appearance with Katie (Waxahatchee). He played Solid Sound a few years back, and Waxahatchee played an impromptu set in the art gallery.

If anyone gets word of the presale code and it is not user-specific, please share and tag me (and thanks in advance). I have a feeling the rooms might go pretty quick due to pent up travel demand post-pandemic.

Sticky pudding me, under normal circumstances I'd be all over that but I'll have a 2-month-old at that time. What a fantastic lineup. Wilco and Spoon are two of my all-time faves, and then Kurt Vile, Malkmus, Nubya Garcia and Waxahatchee on top of that? Ah fate.

Edit: this is the best festival lineup out of all festivals I've seen announced this year (in related news, I'm a 37-year-old bearded cisgender dad). Damn it all.

Update #1: asked wife if I can just take our 5-year-old while she stays home with infant.

Update #2: wife actually considering going with me and our kids in tow. Risky proposition but she’s right that 2-month-olds are generally as easy as kids get. And wife (who doesn’t care much about music) would be happy to get some sunshine away from the Michigan winter.

The wheels are turning...

Update #1: asked wife if I can just take our 5-year-old while she stays home with infant.

Update #2: wife actually considering going with me and our kids in tow. Risky proposition but she’s right that 2-month-olds are generally as easy as kids get. And wife (who doesn’t care much about music) would be happy to get some sunshine away from the Michigan winter.

The wheels are turning...

My wife and I actually spent a ton of time last weekend thinking about Sky Blue Sky 2022 (down to figuring out how to get a passport in time for a six-week-old baby to come with us). In the end we crunched the numbers and concluded it would be much cheaper for me to get tickets for the Wilco show in Chicago this summer and then plan a separate "escape winter!" trip next year. I went ahead and snagged a couple of tickets last night (first concert since seeing Wilco in GR in November 2019!).

This morning I broke the news to the 5-year-old that he's going to his first rock show in August and he's super excited. Tbh we may skip most of the Sleater-Kinney set (no Janet anyway) so that he won't be too fidgety/bored waiting for Wilco (and then putting up with the inevitable Ode to Joy songs, which are not exactly his idea of a good time).

My wife and I actually spent a ton of time last weekend thinking about Sky Blue Sky 2022 (down to figuring out how to get a passport in time for a six-week-old baby to come with us). In the end we crunched the numbers and concluded it would be much cheaper for me to get tickets for the Wilco show in Chicago this summer and then plan a separate "escape winter!" trip next year. I went ahead and snagged a couple of tickets last night (first concert since seeing Wilco in GR in November 2019!).

This morning I broke the news to the 5-year-old that he's going to his first rock show in August and he's super excited. Tbh we may skip most of the Sleater-Kinney set (no Janet anyway) so that he won't be too fidgety/bored waiting for Wilco (and then putting up with the inevitable Ode to Joy songs, which are not exactly his idea of a good time).

Sounds like a great plan. You could also go to Solid Sound Festival in North Adams, MA, which takes place at the end of June (every other year, but already on the books for 2022). Similar lineup to Sky Blue Sky, and western Massachusetts can be pretty nice that time of year. My wife's mother lives just across the border in Vermont, so we conveniently travel back for a visit each time.

On a related note, due to a string of nearby outdoor shows, my oldest daughter had "seen" Wilco 3 times before her 4th birthday.

Sounds like a great plan. You could also go to Solid Sound Festival in North Adams, MA, which takes place at the end of June (every other year, but already on the books for 2022). Similar lineup to Sky Blue Sky, and western Massachusetts can be pretty nice that time of year. My wife's mother lives just across the border in Vermont, so we conveniently travel back for a visit each time.

On a related note, due to a string of nearby outdoor shows, my oldest daughter had "seen" Wilco 3 times before her 4th birthday.

Thanks for the reminder! I've looked into Solid Sound before but didn't know when the next one was going to be. I lived in Vermont for a few years and still have friends there, so our family may be due for a summer 2022 trip out East.

If you aren't familiar with Pritzker Pavillion, it's a great place for a show, but it's also very flat, so if you're on the lawn and want to see any of the bands, you'll need to get there early and get a good spot. If you have seats, great! It's a really beautiful pavilion! For the little guy, the venue is smack dab in Millenium Park and butts up against Maggie Daley Children's Park. There's tons to do there - my nephews (9 and 4 at the time two years ago) loved it and it was great at tiring them out a little for a long day of city exploring.

If you have any questions, shout em out!

If you aren't familiar with Pritzker Pavillion, it's a great place for a show, but it's also very flat, so if you're on the lawn and want to see any of the bands, you'll need to get there early and get a good spot. If you have seats, great! It's a really beautiful pavilion! For the little guy, the venue is smack dab in Millenium Park and butts up against Maggie Daley Children's Park. There's tons to do there - my nephews (9 and 4 at the time two years ago) loved it and it was great at tiring them out a little for a long day of city exploring.

If you have any questions, shout em out!
Thanks for the tips! I’ve seen the Pavillion from far away but never been to a concert there. I considered lawn but ended up getting aisle seats, relatively far back.

I was tempted to get closer seats but figured there’s too great a chance my son will get overtired and have to leave early, so it would’ve been a risky investment. Our plan is to drive to Chicago on the day of the show so that he’ll get a nap in, which would greatly increase our chances of a successful experience. Otherwise he’ll be toast, especially with us coming from a different time zone!

Jeff's got a new Substack as well:

Back