What's your 2021 "Gear" resolution?

Maybe 2021 will be the year I spring for a modern turntable. I have had my eye on a Clearaudio Concept Wood w/Black Satisfy Tonearm and Maestro II cart, but my longstanding affair with a Dual 1219 (with Thorens 125 II e/ SME 2009 II non-improved tone arm and/or Thorens TD 160 with Rega tone arm from Vinyl Nirvana as backups) has made it difficult for me to devote the necessary energy to the rationalization required to spend over $3K!! But maybe...
Well, following the bad, great, questionable, inspiring contagious example of several of you here, I’ve ”done a thing” and will be picking up this table tomorrow. :rolleyes:

I am waiting on a pair of custom (ebony veneer) Chartwell Sub3 passive subs to mate up with my ebony Chartwell LS3/5As. Also waiting on a custom Cinemag 1254 step-up transformer with four different ratios (1:10; 1:13; 1:20; 1:40) and three different grounding options. And I'm on a long waitlist for a Decware ZLC line conditioner/power isolator/transformer. I'm hoping to be able to move some stuff along this year, too.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this since I did my huge upgrade purchases late last year. Right now I think I want to offload my old equipment to my brothers and do a bit of a daisy chain where everyone passes down their equipment to the next one in line. After that I've been eyballing new speakers. I dont really think I need them this moment so I can kinda take my time and see if any good sales happen or if I see a ebay/private listing pop up somewhere for a pair of Bower Wilkins 606. Since I'm not in a dire need of speakers that's second to my need for better furniture for my current setup. I want something spacious that could potentially support two PLX's in the future for fun mixing purposes (when my living situation changes and I have a dedicated room to my record collection).

So new furniture is at the top of the list followed by the B&W's, but I'm open to the speakers first if they magically pop up at a good price and in white hopefully (easier to manage (ignore) dust wise).

I've been thinking about this since I did my huge upgrade purchases late last year. Right now I think I want to offload my old equipment to my brothers and do a bit of a daisy chain where everyone passes down their equipment to the next one in line. After that I've been eyballing new speakers. I dont really think I need them this moment so I can kinda take my time and see if any good sales happen or if I see a ebay/private listing pop up somewhere for a pair of Bower Wilkins 606. Since I'm not in a dire need of speakers that's second to my need for better furniture for my current setup. I want something spacious that could potentially support two PLX's in the future for fun mixing purposes (when my living situation changes and I have a dedicated room to my record collection).

So new furniture is at the top of the list followed by the B&W's, but I'm open to the speakers first if they magically pop up at a good price and in white hopefully (easier to manage (ignore) dust wise).
I got my 606 open box at Best Buy. If you keep an eye on them there they are pretty easy to track the drops. I forgot the timing but there is an initial just got returned price and another one right after that. You can see what stores they are at and go look yourself to see any damage too which is nice (well pre COVID you could).

Like every year, I'll be eyeing for an affordable and easy to use RCM to start giving a better clean to my records.

Did you see the kickstarter for the new ultrasonic cleaner. Me and a bunch of the rest of us backed it, looked worth a punt at the price!

Yeah @BazookaTooth just PM'ed about this machine. As I was telling him, I don't like the fact that there is no renowned company behind it. What will happen if you have any issue with the machine? $300 is definitely a great price for an ultrasonic RCM though and I hope it will be worth the price.

If I can't find anything, I'll go this way :

Yeah @BazookaTooth just PM'ed about this machine. As I was telling him, I don't like the fact that there is no renowned company behind it. What will happen if you have any issue with the machine? $300 is definitely a great price for an ultrasonic RCM though and I hope it will be worth the price.

Argh, that’s scarier than the exorcist!

Hahahahahahahaha! Yeah, I'll be right behind you. The proof is in the before-and-after! But my understanding is that this won't work unless you make sure to place each and every one of your fingers on the tracks themselves while cleaning.

The way he holds records drives me insane! What’s the point of cleaning them if you are going to put your grubby mitts all over the playing surface? 🤮

I mean, we all eat in dishes that are cleaned this way so why wouldn't it work with records?

Back