What's your 2021 "Gear" resolution?

AnthonyI

Having a vinyl New Years resolution is kind of like having getting in shape and eating better as your usual resolution, we all start off strong and it goes by the way side, lol.

Just a twist on that, I think most of us have something we want to change, improve or replace in our systems, maybe you're perfectly content with where you're at, and that's fantastic, but if you do have a "plan" for the new year, what is it?

For me, thankfully, my list shrunk a lot over 2020 and what's left is more about "long term maintenance" than an actual upgrade or change. On my main system my 2021 goal is to hammer down a long term cartridge, which for me entails a reasonable up front price followed by the same reasonable replacement/re-tipping/stylus cost, I spin way to much to want to drop a hefty sum on a 12-18 month rotation.

Aside from that, I want to replace my Polk LSiM 703's with the Warfedale Linton's and then have the Linton's battle it out with the ZU's for who's going to end up on which system. Lastly, and this is more maintenance/upgrade, replacing the tubes in the PrimaLuna with KT88's. This will probably happen some time in the middle of 2021, I'd like to have 1000+ hours on the stock tubes before moving them to a back up role.

I'm sure there might be some minor things that might pop up, but nothing that would take serious savings and or change of direction, so, what's on your "gear planner"? Again, if it's nothing, what is it that you enjoy about your current system that makes you perfectly content with it?

Having a vinyl New Years resolution is kind of like having getting in shape and eating better as your usual resolution, we all start off strong and it goes by the way side, lol.

Just a twist on that, I think most of us have something we want to change, improve or replace in our systems, maybe you're perfectly content with where you're at, and that's fantastic, but if you do have a "plan" for the new year, what is it?

For me, thankfully, my list shrunk a lot over 2020 and what's left is more about "long term maintenance" than an actual upgrade or change. On my main system my 2021 goal is to hammer down a long term cartridge, which for me entails a reasonable up front price followed by the same reasonable replacement/re-tipping/stylus cost, I spin way to much to want to drop a hefty sum on a 12-18 month rotation.

Aside from that, I want to replace my Polk LSiM 703's with the Warfedale Linton's and then have the Linton's battle it out with the ZU's for who's going to end up on which system. Lastly, and this is more maintenance/upgrade, replacing the tubes in the PrimaLuna with KT88's. This will probably happen some time in the middle of 2021, I'd like to have 1000+ hours on the stock tubes before moving them to a back up role.

I'm sure there might be some minor things that might pop up, but nothing that would take serious savings and or change of direction, so, what's on your "gear planner"? Again, if it's nothing, what is it that you enjoy about your current system that makes you perfectly content with it?
I'm constantly thinking about, researching and fantasizing about the next thing. The next thing for me is a subwoofer. My room is pretty big (23Lx18W×9H) and the bass isn't as impactful as I would like. I'm about 95% sure I'll get the REL T/7i. It's really well reviewed, and the fact it can get it's signal directly from the amp is a big plus. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for an open box deal, because full retail for any of this stuff is almost never necessary.

Beyond that, I have a similar goal of nailing down a long term cartridge. I'm leaning Soundsmith at the moment, just not sure which model and price point yet.

Finally, if I spot a good deal with an option to return on a First Watt SIT-3, I might spring for that. An upgraded amp is on my list, but likely not in 2021.

I will probably aim to pick up a Schiit Freya or equivalent to add remote volume control back into the setup. Apart from that, I’m quite content.
I'm loving my Freya+ so far. At some point next year I will probably get the itch to tube roll. But, since I still have never had tubes in my system before I really want to get used to how the stock tubes sound so I will know what difference other tubes bring to the system.

buy grado 225e's
buy a closed back semi V shaped headphone (i thought about the DT 770 but it seems they might be TOO V shaped so too different from the grado sound i like)
obtain a ortofon 2m blue
pick up an audioquest dragonfly red/cobalt OR ifi hip dac depending on how much the battery matters

thats just the plans for the first quarter

I'm loving my Freya+ so far. At some point next year I will probably get the itch to tube roll. But, since I still have never had tubes in my system before I really want to get used to how the stock tubes sound so I will know what difference other tubes bring to the system.
Honestly, a Saga would probably fit the fill just fine. The Freya was an interesting option when I was trialing the Decware, since its low input sensitivity meant I could use an extra gain stage.

I like the Schiit stuff I've owned, though.

I think my system is being held back by the old Concept 6.5 receiver. So I ordered a fleawatt tube amp from Decware to pair with my Omen DWs. This will be my first foray into the world of tubes. I'm #202 on the build list so it should be ready in about 19 weeks...

I think my system is being held back by the old Concept 6.5 receiver. So I ordered a fleawatt tube amp from Decware to pair with my Omen DWs. This will be my first foray into the world of tubes. I'm #202 on the build list so it should be ready in about 19 weeks...
Lemme know if you decide to trade up...

Nothing serious planned. I like the idea of moving to fibre to home broadband and moving to a separate network switch for the system itself but that's a working change more than anything else. I'm completely happy with the performance of the equipment here and realistically the only changes will be if any of the loan gear is recalled.

I might get bored and put a turntable in upstairs. We'll see.

Nothing serious planned. I like the idea of moving to fibre to home broadband and moving to a separate network switch for the system itself but that's a working change more than anything else. I'm completely happy with the performance of the equipment here and realistically the only changes will be if any of the loan gear is recalled.

I might get bored and put a turntable in upstairs. We'll see.

I got fibre to the home last May. The 1Gb speeds are impressive but equally the piece of shit router that sky supplied me with, that has no “modem only” mode, is making me think strongly of going back to cable with Virgin, 500Mb is hardly shabby!

What have you been eyeing up?
I'm kind of locked in to bookshelf size with a small office that doubles as my listening room, so I've got it narrowed down to a few options depending on when you happen to ask. :LOL:
  • KEF LS50 Meta
  • Wharfdale Denton 85th Anniversary
  • Polk Legend L200 (and haven't totally ruled out the LSiM703 that I know you've mentioned in the past)
  • Zu Omen Bookshelf (these are slightly out of my $1500ish budget range, but if another deal pops up or I get crazy and forget the budget they have a longshot chance of being the pick)

the only other possible upgrade i might make in 2021 and not in long term thinking of like 2022-2024 is maybe move to the mofi studiophono (probably not the ultraphono though since i have a magni) to futureproof

Back