What's The Most Valuable Record In Your Collection?

Its amazing seeing how much the strength (lack of) the £ alters the discogs 'value'. When I bother to check the value of something I pop the median down in the notes (for the bigger ones) so I can look back at the price variance. One of the rarer records I have has only been sold once so the median price should stay the same, but it doesn't.

In May 2020 its median was £328.
In November 2020 its median was £316.
Now its median is £296.
Wild.

Its amazing seeing how much the strength (lack of) the £ alters the discogs 'value'. When I bother to check the value of something I pop the median down in the notes (for the bigger ones) so I can look back at the price variance. One of the rarer records I have has only been sold once so the median price should stay the same, but it doesn't.

In May 2020 its median was £328.
In November 2020 its median was £316.
Now its median is £296.
Wild.
My records "lost" more than £10,000 in Discogs value thanks to Brexit. It's wild, as you say

My records "lost" more than £10,000 in Discogs value thanks to Brexit. It's wild, as you say
I haven't been keeping track of my overall 'value', but I imagine mine has taken a big it as well. Absolutely crazy that we are in this situation at all, still waiting for a benefit to become apparent....

I haven't been keeping track of my overall 'value', but I imagine mine has taken a big it as well. Absolutely crazy that we are in this situation at all, still waiting for a benefit to become apparent....
One of the things to keep me going during Covid was a huge stash of mostly Cheddar but also Lancashire, Wensleydale and Cheshire cheese I have in the freezer. (Luckily, I took over 20kg from the UK last January - I think that's when I handed you the African Brothers PIF). Reading that story about Dutch customs officers confiscating a ham and cheese sandwich, I'm worried my cheese smuggling days are coming to an end. A stupid thing, I know, but indicative of how Brexit is messing up so many small things beyond the big ones. I've already had to swap my British driving licence for a Norwegian one, and I can't help feeling that a passport is next.

Last edited:
One of the things to keep me going during Covid was a huge stash of mostly Cheddar but also Lancashire, Wensley Dale and Cheshire cheese I have in the freezer. (Luckily, I took over 20kg from the UK last January - I think that's when I handed you the African Brothers PIF). Reading that story about Dutch customs officers confiscating a ham and cheese sandwich, I'm worried my cheese smuggling days are coming to an end. A stupid thing, I know, but indicative of how Brexit is messing up so many small things beyond the big ones. I've already had to swap my British driving licence for a Norwegian one, and I can't help feeling that a passport is next.
I shouldn't laugh, but I love the idea of you becoming an international smuggler.....of cheese :ROFLMAO: Funnily enough we currently have way too much cheese because my girlfriend bought a huge selection for a secret santa present, but when we went into lockdown they cancelled secret santa and we have been incorporating cheese into every meal since!

Seriously though I wouldn't blame you, the country has taken several steps backwards and its just going to make everything more difficult in the future.

To get this thread back on track after cheese, here's my top records sorted on max (tends to work best for the African ones). Quite some changes for me recently including three of my top four going into Discogs in the past month alone (although I bought Electric Ladyland ages ago). I think my African albums are in line for value but I'm lacking covers for all the 7s on there so mine are worth a fair bit less. Interested to see EST so high up and the two Fela boxes (just wished I'd got a replacement box from Amazon for #2 as it came with a huge tear in it). And tempted to get rid of the VMP titles (although I do like them all)...

Discogs.jpg

The pandemic has really caused an increase in demand and price. I encounter a lot of new users on discogs buying from me, even though sometimes my prices are higher but I think many buyers don't allow new buyers to buy from them.

Part of it probably those that can't get to record stores anymore to get their fix, plus disposable income that would normally go into bars, concerts etc. now funneled into a record collection.

But I think a big part is kids: PayPal usually reveals a same address but a different first name as the discogs order. I'm assuming a parent to whom the account belongs.

Anyway if you think record value is insane, someone sent me a video on Pokemon cards...don't laugh. This guy had 10 cards that were "4 million on the conservative side". These cards apparently regularly reselling for 350k on eBay.

One of the things to keep me going during Covid was a huge stash of mostly Cheddar but also Lancashire, Wensley Dale and Cheshire cheese I have in the freezer. (Luckily, I took over 20kg from the UK last January - I think that's when I handed you the African Brothers PIF). Reading that story about Dutch customs officers confiscating a ham and cheese sandwich, I'm worried my cheese smuggling days are coming to an end. A stupid thing, I know, but indicative of how Brexit is messing up so many small things beyond the big ones. I've already had to swap my British driving licence for a Norwegian one, and I can't help feeling that a passport is next.

It almost tempts me to start flying to/from Belfast if the world ever allows me to go home again...

Funnily enough I claimed an Irish passport only a matter of months after arriving but had no intention of ever changing my driving licence to an Irish one (DVLA and INLS were so bad at communicating that you never got points for things like speeding...) but damn Brexit meant I did that towards the end of last year.

So far my first couple of records from the U.K. have slipped through customs but I’m guessing that it is only a matter of time before I get caught 😞

The pandemic has really caused an increase in demand and price. I encounter a lot of new users on discogs buying from me, even though sometimes my prices are higher but I think many buyers don't allow new buyers to buy from them.

Part of it probably those that can't get to record stores anymore to get their fix, plus disposable income that would normally go into bars, concerts etc. now funneled into a record collection.

But I think a big part is kids: PayPal usually reveals a same address but a different first name as the discogs order. I'm assuming a parent to whom the account belongs.

Anyway if you think record value is insane, someone sent me a video on Pokemon cards...don't laugh. This guy had 10 cards that were "4 million on the conservative side". These cards apparently regularly reselling for 350k on eBay.

The Pokemon Card market exploded as Youtubers found them, it's truly insane. I had a ton of them stolen from me in my youth but have a binder of them (partial/complete sets, mix of first editions and regulars) with a couple graded. Even those ones, from like the 2nd-4th sets mostly, could probably fetch me 4-6k on Ebay right now without a ton of effort.

I think the guy in the video is probably exaggerating a tiny bit: the cards work in the six figures are basically the rarest of the rare of the most popular creatures in gem mint condition...but it's another pandemic market that is real for now at least.

I gotta imagine a lot of money that would have historically gone into travel, camp, and other activities now needs another place to go and this is where it's ending up as you said.

The Funko market was oddly saved by this too. My collection probably has gained 20% value since March with no real major additions and it was one that was starting to show signs of struggle going into it.

I've been trying to get that too but every discogs seller I've messaged seems to be incorrectly listing the 2015 pressing on that listing which has the same barcode.

Did you get it on discogs or elsewhere?
I gave up on cogs because as you say, no one had it listed properly. I ended up going to my local and going through their copies to find the correct one. I think I may still have the Amazon SKU as well. They did send me the wrong one once, but I know I ended up getting one from there. But it's not the cleanest pressing so I had to go through a few to find a good one, just a heads up... Lemme look for that SKU...

EDIT: B00447G2NY. That should be it. Like I said, they did send me the wrong one once, but the second time it was the correct press. Otherwise the back of the jacket should have 2010 on it, that's it, no other dates, if you're looking in person...

The Pokemon Card market exploded as Youtubers found them, it's truly insane. I had a ton of them stolen from me in my youth but have a binder of them (partial/complete sets, mix of first editions and regulars) with a couple graded. Even those ones, from like the 2nd-4th sets mostly, could probably fetch me 4-6k on Ebay right now without a ton of effort.

I think the guy in the video is probably exaggerating a tiny bit: the cards work in the six figures are basically the rarest of the rare of the most popular creatures in gem mint condition...but it's another pandemic market that is real for now at least.

I gotta imagine a lot of money that would have historically gone into travel, camp, and other activities now needs another place to go and this is where it's ending up as you said.

The Funko market was oddly saved by this too. My collection probably has gained 20% value since March with no real major additions and it was one that was starting to show signs of struggle going into it.
man...maybe i should try to find my pokemon cards...

i might just backorder it at deepdiscount now. there's a SNOW15 coupon code for 15% off which applies for it. so its about $170 shipped.
I'm really surprised they never did individual releases for the latter 3 albums. Super weird how they rolled it out by doing the first 4 individual, then the box, then nothing. Well, I guess they did those non-AAA releases later. I was holding out for individuals, so I'm glad my wife got me the box for Christmas one year!

I'm really surprised they never did individual releases for the latter 3 albums. Super weird how they rolled it out by doing the first 4 individual, then the box, then nothing. Well, I guess they did those non-AAA releases later. I was holding out for individuals, so I'm glad my wife got me the box for Christmas one year!
maybe there will be more soon? i don't know that the box set is OOP...it seems to still be orderable on backorder from a bunch of places that are usually good about removing OOP stuff.

maybe there will be more soon? i don't know that the box set is OOP...it seems to still be orderable on backorder from a bunch of places that are usually good about removing OOP stuff.
Hope so for those who missed out.

Fun to check this out every so often. A little over a year ago someone paid $350 for that La Luz lathe-cut 7" which is why it's currently in my top 5 median & there were only 30 made so it probably will stay there.

Median Vinyl Jan2021.jpg

I gave up on cogs because as you say, no one had it listed properly. I ended up going to my local and going through their copies to find the correct one. I think I may still have the Amazon SKU as well. They did send me the wrong one once, but I know I ended up getting one from there. But it's not the cleanest pressing so I had to go through a few to find a good one, just a heads up... Lemme look for that SKU...

EDIT: B00447G2NY. That should be it. Like I said, they did send me the wrong one once, but the second time it was the correct press. Otherwise the back of the jacket should have 2010 on it, that's it, no other dates, if you're looking in person...

I can get it from .com with the ASIN...do you think they would send the right one?

Back