What's Spinning

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#43: Clarence Clarity - No now

IMG_20190922_101117.jpg

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (Impulse A30, 1963 first Mono pressing)
This has always been a great album to me as it has Ellington in a small band set up, with Coltrane (who idolised Ellington). You can just image how excited Coltrane must have been to play with his musical hero!
Also, this was one of my most favourite ebay wins. It was a super basic listing with just the title of 'Duke Ellington & John Coltrane record'. The one image was super blurry so you couldn't see what was in the white circle on the cover (the A is for Mono and AS is Stereo). It also didn't mention the condition. I bought it really cheap at a risk, but when it came it was the Mono in top condition (the vinyl itself is immaculate). The mono is actually super super rare, with just 2 for sale on discogs from £237.36 (how do they even come up with such a figure??) and the last sale on ebay was a cool $160. Best 'Win' Ever!

IMG_7392.JPG

93C36E9F-471B-424D-90D5-66F451E23703.jpeg
Groovy Latin tinged soul-jazz from England’s “The Lewis Express.

All analogue recording on red vinyl purchased via the label, ATA Record’s, Band Camp page.

Also check out their releases of orchestral jazz covers of J Dilla and MadVillian by The ATA Orchestra if you’re into stuff like El Michel’s Affair, Will Sessions, or BadBadNotGood

Back