What's Spinning

The Rain Parade ‎– Emergency Third Rail Power Trip
Real Gone Music ‎– RGM-0760, 1983/2019

Cut by David Cheppa
Pressed at Rainbo

urtiBt.jpg

Jt97BU.jpg

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#42: Frédéric Chopin - Piano Concerto No. 2

IMG_20190921_144256.jpg

I have a little funny story with this record. Two years ago my boss invited me and my girlfriend over to her house for dinner. We were drunk, walking back to our place at 4 in the morning, when we found a bunch of stuff spilled over the sidewalk. It looked like if someone had kicked their significant other out of the house and had thrown all of their belongings to the street. There were clothes, furniture, books, and a handful of crappy records out there on the floor. I looked around and grabbed what seemed like the best one out of the bunch : Chopin's Concerto No. 2.

4CF7008E-FF2F-4710-B44F-F8A65D46E10C.jpeg
Japanese promo copy of United Future Organization’s self titled full length debut.

One of the best acid jazz groups of the 90’s, this album still holds up relatively well with only one track, “My Foolish Dream”, sounding a bit too kitschy and cloying. The momentum built on this release was fully realized on their follow up album,
No Sound Is Too Taboo, which is one of my favorite albums from that entire decade.
If you like Thievery Corporation or Kruger and Dorfmeister, you owe it to yourself to give either of these two records a listen.

Back