What's Spinning

A recent correspondence....

Subject: Real Gone Suggestion Message: While I love what records you guys release I do have one suggestion.

Please stop using the combo of David Cheppa and Rainbo.

I was severely disappointed in opening up the recent reissue of The Rain Parade ‎– Emergency Third Rail Power Trip only to see this combo of cutter and pressing plant in the runouts.

These are the 2 worst things I can see when I look at a new record and know I'm going to be disappointed in how it will sound.

Rainbo is well known as the worst pressing plant in the US....and David Cheppa's cuts bring nothing to a release....I have never heard any release of his that is worth hearing again.

Your last record I purchased was the American Beauty S/T – and saw that you went with a cut from Kevin Gray – this was an excellent sounding release....use him more often.

Thanks.

Got a reply less than 5 minutes later...

We hear you. Long story on that one. WEA’s pricing makes things difficult.

I had a feeling he and Rainbo are the cheap solution for a lot of releases.

Back in the Scorpio distribution days, (2000 - 2012) most were done by this combo...and none were worth buying...very much the same as 4MWB situation.

Most had a hype stickers like these - you still see them occasionally in the bins...

BLACK_SABBATH_-_VOL_4_lp3.jpg

1568819503657.png

But all this hype was bullshit, as most were just mastered from a CD.

Last edited:
Back