What's Spinning

Bruce Hornsby & The Range ~ The Way It Is

View attachment 17380

My dad met Bruce in a bar once with his whole band, but only after my dad's friends pointed him out. My dad said hi but then ducked out of the conversation Bruce was having with my dad's buddies because he didn't listen to any of his music. What an opportunity lost.

My dad met Bruce in a bar once with his whole band, but only after my dad's friends pointed him out. My dad said hi but then ducked out of the conversation Bruce was having with my dad's buddies because he didn't listen to any of his music. What an opportunity lost.

No kidding! I'd just want to be a fly on the wall and listen to him tell stories, between his own and his time with the Dead.

Art Pepper ‎– Meets The Rhythm Section (Comtemporary, 1957 First US Pressing)

I could honestly write a whole essay about this album, its just so fascinating and arguably one of the greatest jazz albums of all time. Pepper was just out of prison for a third (maybe even fourth) time for using heroin. He was holed up in his girlfriend's house shooting constantly when one morning his girlfriend woke him up to say that she and Lester Koenig (founder of Contemporary records) had organised for Miles Davis' quintet to be at the studio and record with him. Pepper was furious, not only didnt he want to play but he had just thrown his sax in the case without cleaning it weeks before. The reed had rotted and the mouthpiece was broken. He replaced the reed, taped it up and set off to the studio (after shooting yet more heroin) and quickly thought up ideas as to what to play on way. The result is this album, and it's just breathtakingly good.

IMG_7149.JPG

Back